BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default BB Messenger cant be this difficult can it?

Please Login to Remove!

Okay getting increasingly frustrated with BB Messenger this morning.
Im trying to add my girlfriend to my contact list, and nada, no dice, nothing.

Already searched through the forum and nothing mentioned here worked, although I see Im not the only one who has trouble with it.

Ive got her PIN, its even in her contact info in the address book.
I select:
Add Contact, select her name from the drop down meny, choose to add her via PIN, and nothing.
She never gets the request.
I sent her my PIN as well, she sent the request, and like mine, contact is just sitting in Pending and neither one of us receive the request to add.

Did I miss something blatanly obvious?? Does BB Messenger just work when it wants to?? I have one other friend in there as well, and yeah had the same trouble at first, but it managed to just work somehow and Ive had that one in there working fine for a couple weeks now.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:21 PM   #2
The BlackBerry Kid
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: it is under my battery, and status page
Carrier: T-Mobile

well, it can be difficult if it is your first time using, but after adding a few people you will get the hang of it.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:24 PM   #3
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Umm yeah.. But did you actually read above where I said adding people does absolutely nothing?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:36 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Are either of you on a BES?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:38 PM   #5
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: o2

To add by pin hit menu key and select add contact, your address book will come up. Highlight 'use once' and hit menu key again then select request by PIN. Input the pin and off you go.
Old 07-16-2008, 01:39 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The BlackBerry Kid View Post
well, it can be difficult if it is your first time using, but after adding a few people you will get the hang of it.
^^That is absolutely not helpful.

@monotremata -- does she have the BlackBerry Data Plan?

If you are certain, can you send her a simple PIN message from your Messages compose window?
Old 07-16-2008, 01:55 PM   #7
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok lets see.. Were both just on regular old AT&T personal plans, no BES BS (hah a funny!), both have unlimited data plans as well. Both have the red Curve 8310.
Only difference is Im running 4.5.0.52, shes on 4.2.2 from AT&T.. But the one contact I can talk to is using an even older 7xxx something and she has no trouble with it.

Foxglove funny you mention that.. Thats one reason I actually decided to post this hehe. See I saw that Use Once option mentioned in a couple other threads but I dont have it on mine (maybe cause of 4.5??) When I hit Menu Key and Add Contact a little tiny text box opens up that just says < Type PIN/Email address or name here... >. And then typing in the box brings up some results with whatever letter/number I just typed but yeah no 'Use Once' option or anything. im still scratching my head on that one cause I saw everyone mention it before too.

I have sent her two PIN messages so far with the text 'HEY BABY THIS IS A PIN MESSAGE REPLY BACK IF YOU GET IT' but I havent gotten a reply yet.
Im wondering though how shes got her BB setup. Mine is set so SMS and Email are in seperate boxes, Im not sure if hers is.. It could be her PIN's are showing up in the general Messages folder and she doesnt know to go into Applications and find em (were both using the good ol AT&T theme).. But now I cant find an outbox that shows me my sent PIN messages anywhere either so maybe Im doing something wrong??

Im about to go on my lunch break so Illl give her a call and find out if shes even getting my PIN's or not.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:04 PM   #8
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

OK, on your device, next to the PIN message you sent... you should see a check mark indicating you sent it. You may also see a tiny little 'D' next to the check mark. That indicates it was Delivered to the recipient... and it doesn't lie.
Do you see the little D, or just a checkmark?

Also, PIN messages will show up in the 'Messages' icon on the device. They won't show up in BlackBerry Messenger, unless you send them FROM BlackBerry Messenger.
A normal PIN message is different than BlackBerry Messenger messages.

It's sort of hard to understand what you're actually doing, so it makes it difficult to troubleshoot.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:08 PM   #9
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Regular data plans you say not Blackberry data plans?

You need Blackbery specific plans to use PIN messaging or BB messenger.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:12 PM   #10
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Gotcha! Had to turn off Hide Saved Messages and there they are!
Hmm looks like just a checkmark next to em, no D like I see when I actually send a BB Message...

I figured I would send a regular PIN to her just to make sure she got em and it was working.

Oh and to clarify above in my no 'Use Once' option.. How Im adding her, I hit add contact, type in S for her first initial, the list of S contacts comes up..
I choose her, then I get the choice of adding via PIN or Email and I choose PIN and then she goes to Pending..
She said I was sitting in her Pending thing as well when she tried to add me. We both deleted each other and I tried again but still no go.. Maybe her firewall is blocking PIN requests but unless Im wrong AT&T by default has that off, or at least it was on mine when I checked..

guess its good we both have unlimited text messaging too but since shes the only one I text, Im trying to save myself another $20 a month by just using BB Messenger and the data plan.. ;)

EDIT: Foxglove sorry about that. I did mean BB data plans hehe. We both have the unlimted BB Data and text messaging plans from AT&T..

Last edited by monotremata; 07-16-2008 at 02:14 PM..
Old 07-16-2008, 02:27 PM   #11
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

If you can sucessfully BBM others the problem does appear to be at her end but I am not sure what it could be as I do not use BB messenger all that much.

As you have been able to send her a regular pin you could use that in the meantime as this uses data too. Hopefully the matter will get sorted very soon.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:31 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Both of you, pull your batteries while powered on, hold a few seconds, replace and reboot.

If you can't PIN here, you won't be able to BBM her.
Old 07-16-2008, 02:51 PM   #13
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah its wierd.. She didnt see any red messages in her Messages folder at all so Im assuming my PINs never made it to her. They still just have a checkmark next to em in my Sentbox as well, no D at all.
Shes gonna go check her Firewall and make sure PINs arent blocked. Her brother set it up for her and I cant look at it until next week so he may have turned it on.
Other than that I told her to try the battery reset so maybe that will work..
Already did it over here as I have to play the 'get your leaking memory back' game everyday with OS 4.5 hehehe.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:03 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Her PIN messages might not be red. But if you don't have the D-delivered, they aren't being delivered to her BB.

Do you have her correct PIN?
Old 07-16-2008, 03:38 PM   #15
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well no firewall is on. She still hasnt gotten a single PIN ive sent her.
I told her exactly where to go to get the PIN number off the status page so Im sure she did that right..
Not sure if she did the battery pull but eh Im guessing its just not gonna happen.
Ill probably have to wait until I get back from Oregon next week to look at her BB and see if shes got something funny setup. Shes not exactly technically inclined so she could be missing something..
Old 07-16-2008, 03:41 PM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

There is NOT much you can do to your device to NOT receive PIN messages. As far as I can think, nothing really.

Other than NO BB Data Plan, or on a restrictive BES with an IT Policy against it.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #17
O'dell
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-mobile

You can add contacts by email address, have you tried doing that yet?
Old 07-16-2008, 04:08 PM   #18
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Yeah same deal via email.. See my first contact I had, when we decided to try it we both added each other via email since we didnt know crap about the PIN thing yet.
That didnt work, it was when we deleted and readded one another using the PIN# that we both finally got the authorization for the contact..
My girlfriends, we went through the same steps (I tried email this morning before I called her and said GET ME YOUR PIN# hehehe) and still on Pending..

Yeah Ill just have to look at it myself before it makes me go insane.. Like you guys gotta love troubleshooting over the internet when you cant look at the device haha.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:02 AM   #19
monotremata
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok sorry to bring this one back up.. I FINALLY remembered to actually look at her Curve this weekend.. I took it, sat it right next to mine, resent the requests, still nothing.
On her Curve I sent a PIN message to my own BB and it never left her mailbox. Red X on the status icon.

So playing around, we upgraded her OS to 4.5.0.69, and still no go.
However, what I noticed is, shes missing alot of Service Books and such it seems that I have on mine. Theyre both the exact same refurb AT&T Curve 8310..

Heres some stuff I noticed (I dont have it on hand at the moment so Im going by memory)...

To start, not once did her phone pick up EDGE service. It was 'edge' the whole time. No caps.

- On the Manage Connections->Services Status screen, her entry for BlackBerry Internet Service said 'not connected'.
Checked Options->Mobile Network and it DID in fact say Data Services were On and the Mobile Network was AT&T. I ran the diagnostics test maybe 4 times since this fixed something for me awhile back but still no go.

-On the Options->Advanced Options->Browser screen, the only option for the Default Browser was the MediaNET option. No standard 'Internet Browser' like mine shows. I could not for the life of me even find the regular Browser icon.

-Im pretty sure her Options->Advanced Options->Default Services window was blank, but looking at mine, this looks like its my email info I setup for the BB. She hasnt set up any personal email account or registered it at bis.na.blackberry.com

-Even though BB Maps doesnt work on mine, under Options->Advanced Options->Maps I can still select Blackberry Maps -Na as my default service. She had nothing to choose here.

-I didnt feel like making a list but her list of Service Books was also different. She was missing alot of things that I have on my own Curve. Also her Host Routing Table was blank where as mine is filled with Cingular entries like it should be. I know I hit 'Register Now' several times but this didnt do anything at all for it.

So now Im wondering.. Does she need to go to the BIS site and simply register and create a BB email address for all this to work?? I cant imagine not doing that would block all that other stuff from registering but maybe it was something this simple from the beginning??
Old 08-04-2008, 11:04 AM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

It appears to me that she does not have a BB Data Plan. Hence all the matters you mentioned that will not work, including the service books.

With no Data Plan, none of those will function. Call her carrier.
Closed Thread