BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2006, 10:17 PM   #1
jsinger986

Model: 8700g
Default Full email syncing help...

Please Login to Remove!

I'm trying to figure out what I need to do what I would like. I would like to have my email synced both ways... i.e no matter what device I check or delete email on it gets deleted on the other device.

I am an individual so i don't have a corporate enterprise server. My email services are from my ISP and are IMAP based. Right now I have my blackberry on tmobile set up to get email from my imap servers. When I read an email on my BB and then log into my desktop app it shows that email as read. The inverse does not work. I would also like the BB to recognize the subfolders I've created.

BTW, i should mention that I'm 100% mac and I'm using mac mail as my mail client but that shouldn't really matter since I'm really after bi-directional syncing with my IMAP server (I think anyway). It shouldn't matter what front ends I'm using.

So, from what I gather BES will do all this and there are many BES hosting services out there. However, when I look at them they all say that I need a windows machine and outlook. Does that mean they don't work with IMAP and my mac? It seems like it shouldn't matter what desktop platform I'm using since that would just be my front end client to my mail server... as long as IMAP is supported in BES it should work on Windows or Mac.

As for my contacts and calendars, I'm fine syncing those with PocketMac since I use iCal and Address Book and I know those can't be synced wirelessly.

Another thing I'm not sure about, if I want to use a hoseted BES option, do I need to get the tmobile BB Enterprise Server Plan ($29.99 a month) or can I still just get the BB Internet email plan (19.99 month)

Thanks!

Jeff
Old 08-29-2006, 10:03 AM   #2
salsa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

First off, with BIS it is only one-way email reconciliation since the system is designed that way. It is also not designed to read the folder structure, etc.

BES does do all of the agove but the BES hosting service probably requires Outlook because they have most likely setup the BES with Exchange. The other possible options would be Domino or GroupWise. They would give you a new email account on the Exchange so forget the IMAP account. This new account would be setup for email, address book, calendar, memo and tasks which would all be wireless.

You would need the Enterprise plan to be on a BES.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:11 AM   #3
jsinger986

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa
They would give you a new email account on the Exchange so forget the IMAP account. This new account would be setup for email, address book, calendar, memo and tasks which would all be wireless.

You would need the Enterprise plan to be on a BES.
What I need is to be able to do bi-directional syncing on my existing personal business email addresses, which are IMAP. So, what you are saying is that I can only use the BES hosting with the new exhange email account created by the BES host?

If I can't get full syncing I would like the option to only check email on the BB when I want it to. As it does it now, it automatically checks for new email. Since there is not bi-directional syncing if I've read and deleted a lot of messages on my desktop mail client I would then have to go through and delete them again on the black berry.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #4
salsa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsinger986
What I need is to be able to do bi-directional syncing on my existing personal business email addresses, which are IMAP. So, what you are saying is that I can only use the BES hosting with the new exhange email account created by the BES host?

If I can't get full syncing I would like the option to only check email on the BB when I want it to. As it does it now, it automatically checks for new email. Since there is not bi-directional syncing if I've read and deleted a lot of messages on my desktop mail client I would then have to go through and delete them again on the black berry.

Thanks!
If you wanted wireless sync with your IMAP account, you would have to integrate the BES with the mail server that is hosting the account. However, BES can only be setup with 3 mail platforms which are Exchange, Domino and GroupWise. This is why I was saying that you would probably get another email account with the BES hosting package.

There is no option to check email when you want it to. Once the account is integrated in the BB system, it has a timer which checks the account every 15 minutes.

If you want, email [email address] with your ideas and maybe they will get implemented in the future.
Old 08-29-2006, 08:03 PM   #5
jeevessnsv
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7280

You might consider doing things this way. Create a blackberry address, and set up a filtering rule in your IMAP account to automatically forward a copy of received mail to it. When the blackberry account receives the mail, it is pushed to your device a few seconds later, thus eliminating the need to "check email" at all. Then, set your blackberry to BCC your IMAP account on all sent mail, and add a filtering rule to the IMAP account to look at the address of incoming mail, and if it's from your BB, to file a copy in "Sent Items" or whatever your sent-cc folder is.

The only shortcoming with this method AFAIK is that messages marked read on your BB are not marked read on your IMAP, and vice-versa, but I don't find this much of an inconvenience since mass-marking them is pretty trivial when needed. This should work no matter what client you're using on your Mac to deal with your mail, though of course your IMAP server needs to have decent filtering software installed so you can add those rules. I'm using Fastmail, and it's working great so far.

Almost forgot, if you delete messages on your blackberry, you'll be prompted to choose whether to delete them from the handheld only or from both the handheld and the IMAP mailbox. Also, as noted above, you can't handle folders this way, but perhaps you can get by without that functionality?

Last edited by jeevessnsv; 08-29-2006 at 08:10 PM..
Old 08-30-2006, 01:36 PM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

First off, Blackberries don't sync email. Email reconciliation and email sync are not the same thing (I haven't checked the FAQ's on this but there's likely something there on this). If you're looking for email sync you won't find it on any Blackberry, BES or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salsa
BES does do all of the agove but the BES hosting service probably requires Outlook because they have most likely setup the BES with Exchange.
Some of them will assist with getting Entourage set up with Exchange but there are some limitations, IIRC.
Closed Thread