BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
kidguy26
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: pearl
Default How to stop BB 8320 from downloading emails?

Please Login to Remove!

I found this question in another forum but nobody replied , it is dead important to get an answer please

Quote:
If I'm home all day and want to use the PC to do all the emails, is there a way for me to stop my BB from downloading emails to save phone company's space charge?

Can I put the 'downloading email' feature back "ON" when I am about to leave the house again? If I do that, will the device download ALL emails that it didn't download when it was off? If so, how do I prevent that so I only get new emails?
Old 05-09-2008, 07:55 AM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

You can turn off data in options, but that will only delay pushed email until data is turned on again. At that, the backlog will be delivered.

Alternatively, on BIS, one can delete the email address from BIS and add back when desired. Email received in the interim at that address will not be delivered to the blackberry.

I defer to others regarding BES options.
Old 05-09-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
kidguy26

Thanks a lot sir , i still have couplse though

Quote:
You can turn off data in options, but that will only delay pushed email until data is turned on again. At that, the backlog will be delivered.
how can i exactly turn it off ?

Quote:
Alternatively, on BIS, one can delete the email address from BIS and add back when desired. Email received in the interim at that address will not be delivered to the blackberry.
Sorry as i am newbie , what is BIS ? how can i delete my email account and the most imprtant , if i delete , when i return it back do i have to reconfigure all options again ?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:02 AM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Options > Mobile Network > Data Services = OFF.

BIS is your carrier setup site... You don't list your carrier, so I can't direct link you, so:
Where can I log into my BIS account? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-09-2008, 08:03 AM   #5
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g)

You may see things a little different with your model, but find the options (or settings) icon, click that, then look for mobile network (or something like that) and click that. You will see a setting for data services, I think. Set that to off to turn off data and have only phone operating.

BIS is blackberry internet service. See blackberryfaq.com.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #6
kidguy26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Options > Mobile Network > Data Services = OFF.

BIS is your carrier setup site... You don't list your carrier, so I can't direct link you, so:
Where can I log into my BIS account? - BlackBerryFAQ

thanks sir , but when i go to mobile network > data service , i can see only my mobile network name , then another option of network selection mode ( autmatic / manual ) , mine is 8100 pearl, any thought ?

I got now what is BIS , i i have the link but i can only delete my account not suspending it , any solution ?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:14 AM   #7
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

ah, older OS... you will only be able to ONLY turn off the network (including the voice) with that option I believe, if I recall correctly.

On the BIS site you could set a filter on your POP account, look at that, and tell it to foward no messages to handheld.. there should be a check box there.

To me, the above might be a good vacation (multi-day) solution, but not intermittently during each day. You would be best just to delete the emails from time to time off the BB. Since the BB was developed as a mobile email device, the option is suspend it's primary service is not readily needed. OS upgrades will have the option to turn off Data Services.
How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 05-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
kidguy26

Quote:
ah, older OS... you will only be able to ONLY turn off the network (including the voice) with that option I believe, if I recall correctly.

On the BIS site you could set a filter on your POP account, look at that, and tell it to foward no messages to handheld.. there should be a check box there.

To me, the above might be a good vacation (multi-day) solution, but not intermittently during each day. You would be best just to delete the emails from time to time off the BB. Since the BB was developed as a mobile email device, the option is suspend it's primary service is not readily needed. OS upgrades will have the option to turn off Data Services.
How do I upgrade the OS on my BlackBerry? - BlackBerryFAQ
thanks all for your concern to reply me even it is late in USA , ( i am in Egypt )

I just realised i can turn my network service off so i can receive only calls , that sounds good to me now , also the filter options is working so good but as you said , i have to pay extra efforts to shut it off and on twice a day at least cuz i receive work emails at both my work pc and home pc , now add my BB , and i believe turning the network service off will not stop my emails to flow to the BB when i turn it on , so any way to receive only new emails to BB which i have not already recevied to my pc ?

i think i got all soultions possible now

sorry to bother you if i complained that i recieve 400 emails every day , now i receive it also to the BB , and dam it , it comes among my sms's , so emails and sms are all in one box and that drives me crazy , can this be seperated before i die !

Last edited by JSanders; 05-09-2008 at 09:33 AM..
Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidguy26 View Post
so any way to receive only new emails to BB which i have not already recevied to my pc ?
No.

Quote:
sorry to bother you if i complained that i recieve 400 emails every day , now i receive it also to the BB , and dam it ,
Please watch your language on the forums here, please edit. We are a family and professional community.

Quote:
it comes among my sms's , so emails and sms are all in one box and that drives me crazy , can this be seperated before i die !
You need to invest in Spam filtering on your email.
You can separate your SMS from the email at Messages Folder > Options > General Options > SMS and Email INbox = Separate
Old 05-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #10
kidguy26

My apology

Quote:
You need to invest in Spam filtering on your email.
You can separate your SMS from the email at Messages Folder > Options > General Options > SMS and Email INbox = Separate
i've done this already but nothing changed actually
Old 05-09-2008, 08:47 AM   #11
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

It should have created a separate SMS/MMS inbox, and removed all SMS from your main Messages folder?

You don't see it?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 AM   #12
kidguy26

Quote:
It should have created a separate SMS/MMS inbox, and removed all SMS from your main Messages folder?

You don't see it?
ahhhhhhh , now i understand what is that new SMS And MMS icon in my desktop , i see it has now only the SMS ,

but the emails still going together withe SMS to main messages folder , in addition to outlook email folder , i mean the emails still go to email folder and main messages folder .....
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #13
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Your Main Message folder will collect all email... I simply hide the email specific folder, and use the Main. If you hide the Main, you might miss some PIN or browser push messages.

You may never care, though. Personal decision time.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #14
kidguy26

I got your idea and i like it , i will do it

Quote:
miss some PIN or browser push messages
can you tell me what does that mean ?
Old 05-09-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN messages = direct BB to BB communication, like email ONLY to another BlackBerry. You have a PIN -- Options > Status to see yours. The messages travel over the BB network, are viewable only a BB.

Browser Push = you can receive some browser messages such as from a weather application with an alert. Not common, but I do subscribe to a couple.

Last edited by JSanders; 05-09-2008 at 09:27 AM..
Old 05-09-2008, 09:31 AM   #16
kidguy26

Thanks Mr. JSanders , if you woul know how much you were helpful for me today , you will be the happiest man on earth alive today

allow me to disturb you again if i am in need
Old 05-09-2008, 09:33 AM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

You are welcome.

Enjoy your BB and these Forums.
Old 05-09-2008, 09:40 AM   #18
kidguy26

actually your forums are the best , Mr. John was assisting me as well, you are good guys indeed

sorry for keeping you up all night
Closed Thread