Old 05-02-2008, 09:16 AM   #1
rDeuce
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
PIN: 31900707 (Yes all #'s)
Carrier: Verizon
Exclamation Zumobi

Please Login to Remove!

I found this app called Zumobi its is "a new and free mobile widget application that lets you enjoy entertainment and information content delivered to your phone in an innovative and fun way." It isn't yet available for Blackberries but the website says its coming soon for blackberries. It looks really awesome. I did the demo and its pretty exciting.

Zumobi
Old 07-17-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
thielsa
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Saw a review for this on BBCool. Is anyone using this application? Would be curious to get some people's perspective before I download it.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:29 AM   #3
ZeroKool
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
PIN: nope
Carrier: verizon

you have to remove your MEMORY CARD before you install it. I installed it on an 8330 VERIZON. The first time I did it with the memory card in and it didn't work. Second time without memory card, worked fine. It does take a bit to load the first time you open it, so be patient.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #4
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

If anyone wants to give a decent review or better explanation, I would love to hear it
Old 07-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #5
RawisTheGameHhH
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a

They sent me the link and it said it doesn't support my phone
Old 07-17-2008, 06:11 PM   #6
Concept

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

What does the memory card have to do with the program? I downloaded it, and when I start the program it only gets me the splash screen but nothing else. If I have to take out my memory card just to install it, I'll wait for 1.01 to come out. The program shouldn't have anything to do with my card but if it does, who knows what other bugs are in it.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #7
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have the same question as concept. I would load it but I dont want to keep taking out the card.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:01 PM   #8
BlackBerry Cool

Carrier: Telus
Default Zumobi out for BlackBerry with Amazon giveaway

Hello kittens,

Zumobi has released their mobile widget app for BlackBerry and I'm wondering what you guys think about the app. On our site we've had opinions vary wildly, mostly due to the speed of Zumobi depending on their BlackBerry.

Has anyone given it a try? What are your thoughts? Make sure to post your OS, carrier and device, so we can try to identify a trend. Personally, it works fairly smoothly on my Telus 8330.

Oh, Zumobi's also giving away $50 Amazon gift certificates through our site as well, which is always nice!!
Old 07-18-2008, 01:45 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

**moved to Aftermarket Software**
Old 07-18-2008, 02:25 PM   #10
BB_Luver

i'm with 'concept'. I'm on a VZW 8330 and all I get is the splash screen. Anyone get past this?
Old 07-18-2008, 04:07 PM   #11
herskovitz

While I would love to try it I'm not going to install anything that makes me remove my microsd card to do so.

This application doesn't seem to do anything that cannot be accomplished by going to the web directly from the BB browser. This makes me think this app is all about convenience in getting to your information, which would normally be considered a good thing. Making it inconvenient to install ruins the convenience of the app itself.

If this developer can work out the issues preventing an easy install I'll take a look at it, otherwise I'll pass.

Kind of a shame they are having these issues now for the developer as they are trying to promote this through BBCool.

Brian
Old 07-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #12
Cilraaz

Model: 9530

I installed the application. While, I could see how it could be nice for replacing other applications (Facebook, Twitter, weather apps, stock tracking apps, and even for some select RSS feeds (I wouldn't say it would replace Viigo, at least for me)), the downside to it is too high for me right now.

Here are the negatives, as I see them:

1. It's SLOW. Entering any widget (or tile as Zumobi calls them) takes a long time, as does maneuvering within the widget.
2. It's a memory hog. I have my BlackBerry optimized to about 25-28MB free on boot. After an uptime of 113117 seconds (a little over 31 hours), I'm down to 11MB free.
3. It's interface is less than intuitive. While, I see that it would be effective on other devices, it just feels odd on a device with a trackball.
4. You have to remove your SD card to install it. What??!?
5. You can't close the program! If you use escape, it goes to background. Red button, background, Menu->Close, background. The only way to unload the program from active memory is to reboot your phone. This is just wrong on too many levels. (Semi-disregard this. Menu->Close does actually close the program, but the time it spends shutting down is about 1-2 minutes and it resides in the background while closing, which is what confused me)
6. After removing the program and rebooting your phone, the program leaves data behind. After very minimal use of the program over a day or two, my content store database was around 5MB. Just today, I realized that the data will still on my phone! I had to manually delete the files from the phone's memory to reclaim the 5MB of storage.

Don't get me wrong, I think the program has promise. I just think it could have spent a lot more time in alpha/beta to speed things up and take care of the memory issues. For now, I'll be sticking with my multiple apps. They use less memory combined (while running) than this program does.

Last edited by Cilraaz; 07-22-2008 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Added #6
Old 07-19-2008, 03:24 PM   #13
BlackBerry Cool

Carrier: Telus

Hey guys,

The SD card issue is as follows:
essentially Zumobi installs itself to the first drive that appears when it does it's pathway check. You obviously don't want it on your SD card, but if your SD card comes up before Zumobi recognizes the BlackBerry memory, it kind of does a half-and-half install, which is why you get caught at the home screen.

This happens randomly upon install, but to make sure it doesn't, just take out your SD card before install. Zumobi is working to fix the issue in future revisions.

For those that have had the problem, you have to delete the app, clear your BlackBerry's RMS via desktop manager, and re-install. Lame, I know, but not that much of a big deal.

Also, Zumobi is giving away Amazon gift certificates via our site, so go check it out (it's the top story right now).
Old 07-20-2008, 09:03 AM   #14
smithj_33

Model: 0000

Zumboi's signup page isn't working anyway. I was going to try it, but can't signup. And it doesn't surprise me that the app is slow, their website isn't much faster. The app looks cool, so I hope they work the bugs out.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:19 AM   #15
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry Cool View Post
Hey guys,

For those that have had the problem, you have to delete the app, clear your BlackBerry's RMS via desktop manager, and re-install. Lame, I know, but not that much of a big deal.

Also, Zumobi is giving away Amazon gift certificates via our site, so go check it out (it's the top story right now).
Looks like a bribe to get you into the beta (sounds more like alpha?) testing.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:28 AM   #16
herskovitz

Hey, just read on Gizmodo that Zumobi is 'backed by Microsoft', this indicates Microsoft owns or has financed the startup of this company. This tells me the motives of providing a 'free' application are suspicious.

With Microsoft's help, good luck getting those bugs worked out.

Also, BBCool made these comments:

'it kind of does a half-and-half install'

'This happens randomly upon install'

'you have to delete the app, clear your BlackBerry's RMS via desktop manager, and re-install'

and the kicker:

'but not that much of a big deal'

WTF? You've got to be kidding me! Not that much of a big deal? This sounds like the buggiest piece of free trash ever offered to the BlackBerry community.

And again, what advantages does this app even offer over info easily available through the BlackBerry browser?
Old 07-20-2008, 09:32 AM   #17
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.

I agree 100% with your post Cilraaz; I uninstalled the app as it brought my BB memory to practically 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cilraaz View Post
I installed the application. While, I could see how it could be nice for replacing other applications (Facebook, Twitter, weather apps, stock tracking apps, and even for some select RSS feeds (I wouldn't say it would replace Viigo, at least for me)), the downside to it is too high for me right now.

Here are the negatives, as I see them:

1. It's SLOW. Entering any widget (or tile as Zumobi calls them) takes a long time, as does maneuvering within the widget.
2. It's a memory hog. I have my BlackBerry optimized to about 25-28MB free on boot. After an uptime of 113117 seconds (a little over 31 hours), I'm down to 11MB free.
3. It's interface is less than intuitive. While, I see that it would be effective on other devices, it just feels odd on a device with a trackball.
4. You have to remove your SD card to install it. What??!?
5. You can't close the program! If you use escape, it goes to background. Red button, background, Menu->Close, background. The only way to unload the program from active memory is to reboot your phone. This is just wrong on too many levels. (Semi-disregard this. Menu->Close does actually close the program, but the time it spends shutting down is about 1-2 minutes and it resides in the background while closing, which is what confused me)

Don't get me wrong, I think the program has promise. I just think it could have spent a lot more time in alpha/beta to speed things up and take care of the memory issues. For now, I'll be sticking with my multiple apps. They use less memory combined (while running) than this program does.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:57 AM   #18
squeff

Model: 8830
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerry Cool View Post
Hey guys,

The SD card issue is as follows:
essentially Zumobi installs itself to the first drive that appears when it does it's pathway check. You obviously don't want it on your SD card, but if your SD card comes up before Zumobi recognizes the BlackBerry memory, it kind of does a half-and-half install, which is why you get caught at the home screen.

This happens randomly upon install, but to make sure it doesn't, just take out your SD card before install. Zumobi is working to fix the issue in future revisions.

So they didn't even bother to test the product on a standard setup? If they can't even do a simple thing like actually test the software install on a real device with a SD card installed, they clearly don't take this seriously.

That said, I did try to go to their site. From work, it's blocked as a "gaming" site. From home, I get to the home page, but clicking on something (like "gallery" or "get it now") fails with "The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server." Been like for 2 days now.

Considering that this product doesn't do much unique, can't be installed reliably, has a non-functioning web site, and appears to take up much more memory than the value of what it delivers, I have to wonder why all the excitement. The chance at $50? Ah.
Old 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM   #19
Cilraaz

Model: 9530

Added a #6 to my post above. To anyone who has tried this program and deleted it, check your "content store" database. You may find a few meg of unreclaimed space from this program.

Man, seriously, try alpha testing first! Things as simple as installation while a memory card exists or fully removing your data upon uninstall should be some of the first things checked.

Who vomited up this code? I want to avoid their work in the future.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #20
pipskicks
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

To play Devil's Advocate, I can't disagree with the fact that I believe this program should not have been announced anytime soon.

HOWEVER, as some people said, this program does have promise (btw I have NO interest in the company and haven't even installed it), but we as a BB community want more programs, for that I believe we should be helping test the programs and giving feedback. However, I'm much less inclined for a pay program...those I believe should be tested a lot more thoroughly than this program was...
Closed Thread