Old 08-02-2007, 09:09 AM   #121
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowrider View Post
The library is small, like 44kb or so, not exactly sure but it is small.
The total package (application, library, and dictionary) is about 700 KB.
Old 08-02-2007, 09:39 AM   #122
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani View Post
Sorry, sorry, sorry! I want to say that in bigger fonts but that would spoil what is to follow below

InstaSpell v0.99 -

1. Implements Bulk Spell check (spell check at the end) in Notes and Tasks as well.
2. Directly Add words to User Dictionary. Use the menu item under Custom wordlist screen.
3. Backup for User Dictionary - is important as user dictionary gets built up with usage over time and we don't want to loose it!

Please uninstall the previous version before installing the new version.

OTA:
InstaSpell first - http://www.getempower.com/isc/isc.php
Dictionary next - http://www.getempower.com/isc/dict.php

PC-DM: http://www.getempower.com/isc/isc.zip

Try it out. Also, the next version is in works so let us know your feedback / suggestions for the same.

Thanks!
Ani.
Ani--

Sorry about getting a bit anxious waiting for the v0.99 update, but it was difficult when the app just stopped working with no work-around, even if someone was willing to purchase it. Thanks again for your efforts.

A couple of comments/questions (8703e, OS 4.1.0.377):

1) Please consider changing the "Change Spelling" menu item to something unique (e.g., "InstaSpell" or the like) -- currently, if a user has bbSpell installed on a device, there are two "Check Spelling" menu items. While most users will eventually pick one app or the other, it is confusing in the interim.

2) I cannot find an option to invoke "Backup for User Dictionary". Is this an OS 4.2.x option only, or am I missing something?

3) Is there a way to "replace" text with on-the-go spell checking menu? The options that I see are to 1) select from the word list, or 2) to add the word to the personal dictionary.

4) As you are typing and you notice a misspelling (i.e., underlined word), what is the easiest way to invoke the pull down menu to immediately correct the word? It appears that you need hold the ALT key while scrolling back to the word or scroll all the back to the top of the message and back down.

Thanks again for what appears to be evolving into a killer application!
Old 08-02-2007, 10:12 AM   #123
redsoxnation
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: SPRINT
Thumbs up

Still that small hard to see underline. I was hoping that for a bolder or colored line but everything else is great! Thanks for all your hard work Ani.
Old 08-02-2007, 11:00 AM   #124
Ebtek
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

i just installed instaspell although it's past July 31.

will the version i have expire? and when?
how can i purchase it and how much?
Old 08-02-2007, 01:19 PM   #125
ani

Model: 8700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Airtel

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayzac View Post
2 questions:
1. I have an 8300 with spellchecking built in, would I benefit at all with this app?
Well, that would depend on your personal needs. 8300 has a large dictionary, and does spellcheck only at the end. InstaSpell in addition, does spellcheck as-you-type!
Old 08-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #126
ani

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
Ani--

A couple of comments/questions (8703e, OS 4.1.0.377):

1) Please consider changing the "Change Spelling" menu item to something unique (e.g., "InstaSpell" or the like) -- currently, if a user has bbSpell installed on a device, there are two "Check Spelling" menu items. While most users will eventually pick one app or the other, it is confusing in the interim.

2) I cannot find an option to invoke "Backup for User Dictionary". Is this an OS 4.2.x option only, or am I missing something?

3) Is there a way to "replace" text with on-the-go spell checking menu? The options that I see are to 1) select from the word list, or 2) to add the word to the personal dictionary.

4) As you are typing and you notice a misspelling (i.e., underlined word), what is the easiest way to invoke the pull down menu to immediately correct the word? It appears that you need hold the ALT key while scrolling back to the word or scroll all the back to the top of the message and back down.

Thanks again for what appears to be evolving into a killer application!
Thanks for the suggestions!

1. Will do
2. Backup is not a menu item. User dictionary is backed up using the DM.
3. To replace, when the drop-down of suggestions comes up, you just type what you want. This will cause the incorrect word to be replaced with what you typed.
4. As of now, yes. ALT key with Scroll back is the way to get there. We are working on a better way.

Thanks!
Ani.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:02 PM   #127
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

1. Will do
2. Backup is not a menu item. User dictionary is backed up using the DM.
3. To replace, when the drop-down of suggestions comes up, you just type what you want. This will cause the incorrect word to be replaced with what you typed.
4. As of now, yes. ALT key with Scroll back is the way to get there. We are working on a better way.

Thanks!
Ani.
How can I verify #2 (i.e., that there is indeed a backup copy within the IPD file created by the DM)?

UPDATE: The "Empower SpellCheck" database is selectable in the Restore window of DM.

Last edited by visortgw; 08-02-2007 at 03:00 PM..
Old 08-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #128
redsoxnation

Lightbulb

How about highlighting the misspelled word in yellow like the spell checker in gmail. The underline is hard to see when outside in light.
Old 08-02-2007, 05:12 PM   #129
cayzac

Model: Curve
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockbottom8 View Post
Mine gets stuck at 50% when I install the library! Every time! I did the PC installation instead of the OTA installation because i was having problems accessing the dict.php! However, when it's stuck at 50% I say i wanna quit the installation and then it says word list installed correctly!!! then i see this

compression:100%
empower wordlist:32823
etc...
Same problem here on my 8300. It never goes past 50. Has anyone figured out a way around this?
Old 08-02-2007, 05:58 PM   #130
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:

Thanks!
Ani.
Ani--

It does not appear to work this way in both scenarios:

1) In check-on-the-fly mode, if I hold ALT and scroll to back to the underlined word and click, the BlackBerry menu show spelling suggestions (if any) plus "Add Word" in addition to non-InstaSpell items. Typing causes selection of various menu items (e.g., type "a", and "Add To:" is highlighted; type "p", and "Paste" is highlighted, etc.) -- there does not appear to be any way to replace other than escape (exit the menu), backspace (to delete incorrect word), and retype.

2) In "Check Spelling" mode, the drop-down list of suggestions appears -- typing appends the characters to the current word as opposed to replacing it.
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 AM   #131
adwiv
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8707g
Carrier: Hutch

Quote:
Ani--
1) In check-on-the-fly mode, if I hold ALT and scroll to back to the underlined word and click, the BlackBerry menu show spelling suggestions (if any) plus "Add Word" in addition to non-InstaSpell items. Typing causes selection of various menu items (e.g., type "a", and "Add To:" is highlighted; type "p", and "Paste" is highlighted, etc.) -- there does not appear to be any way to replace other than escape (exit the menu), backspace (to delete incorrect word), and retype.
To replace text in the check-on-the-fly mode, simply do what u would have done had Instaspell not been installed. Use backspace to modify and correct the last word.

Quote:
2) In "Check Spelling" mode, the drop-down list of suggestions appears -- typing appends the characters to the current word as opposed to replacing it.
Here again, u can use backspace. The idea being that generally the beginning characters are typed correctly, so u need not type the whole word again.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:28 PM   #132
fkjr2
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9550
Carrier: ATT

am I the only cat who keeps getting crash errors while typing emails? I am replying to an email while using Empower and boom - it exits and the email is NOT saved!
Old 08-04-2007, 04:08 AM   #133
Lowrider

Model: 8100
Carrier: CBW

NEVER have had any problem, even at the earliest beta stage.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:38 AM   #134
Hidea
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
Carrier: Rogers

I have had a few uncaught exceptions, and a few major lags, but they're not at a frequency where it frustrates me. But .99 has been very stable, I've been using it for more than a week or so.

I'm really glad most of the features I requested have been added onto the application! I love helping testing out apps' when the devs. hear out the users' requests!

What's the ETA on 1.xx?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #135
redsoxnation

Lightbulb

Works fine for me. The only thing I notice is when I do a reset and my handheld turns on I get a error mess saying error java.lang I have no idea why?
Old 08-04-2007, 10:52 AM   #136
tallen269
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon BIS
Thumbs up

I haven't had any problems, love the app.
Old 08-05-2007, 05:19 AM   #137
bjchantry

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
am I the only cat who keeps getting crash errors while typing emails? I am replying to an email while using Empower and boom - it exits and the email is NOT saved!
Never had a problem here.

Ani,

what are the plans with this, something similar to Empower Mail viewer? Free licenses for xx users up to as point or will it stay free? 0.99 looking really good, like the idea of highlighting the word better and some method to have the proposed word list pop up. What about having it as an option, that if a word is mis-spelled and you press the space bar, i.e. you are finished with the word, that the suggested words automatically pop-up ? don't know if it could be done, just a thought to save having to go back, click the trackwheel, and then select the word.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:15 AM   #138
Nickster248

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cayzac View Post
Same problem here on my 8300. It never goes past 50. Has anyone figured out a way around this?
Yes, I am still running into this problem of never getting past "50". Don't know what the problem is, but I see no one else has responded directly to your question. Hopefully the developer will respond to this.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 08-05-2007, 05:49 PM   #139
ani

Does this half-loading of dictionary happens with DM or OTA or both?
Old 08-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #140
ffeingol
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

I've tried both (VZW 8830) and it hangs at 50% either way.

Frank
Closed Thread