BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
jdoherty76

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tesco
Default BB, Wireless, WI-FI Router and O2 (UK)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there I am new to the BB world after years with HTC devices. I am looking forward to getting up to speed with the device. I am based in the UK: The phone I acquired is an O2 branded phone and I don’t have an issue getting it unlocked. Here’s my question:

When at home I’d like my phone to have the ability to connect to my home wireless configuration and when on the move use the network providers data network. Is it possible that when at home (without changing anything on my phone) I will not go to the network but use my routers WI-FI connection by default?

I have seen various discussions relating to O2 bolt ons, wi-fi preferred (which I can’t find on my model)

I will get a data plan but naturally it’d be a lot simpler using your home resources whilst at home and your data plan while on the move. Any answers, links or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance JD76
Old 01-07-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile
Default Re: BB, Wireless, WI-FI Router and O2 (UK)

It will use wi-fi by default.

You need a Blackberry bolt-on to any contract, the Simplicity for Blackberry SIM Only plan, or the Blackberry Web and Text tariff for PAYG.

The wi-fi preferred option is only on UMA enabled handsets. O2 don't offer UMA so you won't see that option.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 01-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
jdoherty76

Thank you midnight draven and thanks for the quick reply. I am moving to Tesco as opposed to O2 will they supply a bolt on? re O2 or other providers do these bolt on cost a lot or can they be a one off purchase?

and sorry for appearing foolish but what do I need to set up to access wi-fi? i.e. what settings should I use and should I disable anything so that it does not go to the network? for example how do you know you are going thru wi-fi and not the network?

also are there any tools available to monitor how much your downloading when using the data network and not wi-fi?

sorry for all the questions but hopefully I won't be a pain once I get a few answers.

Thanks jd
Old 01-07-2011, 04:17 PM   #4
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

No. Tesco do not support blackberries and you won't be able to get a blackberry data plan, therefore your phone won't have all data features.
And they are around £5 per month, every month.

The phone will scan for networks it can find, you select your wi-fi, and enter you wi-fi details [depending on the way your wi-fi is set up].
To be absolutely sure its going through wi-fi, unchecking Mobile network in manage connections would work, but you obviously wouldn't get any calls or texts.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."

Last edited by MidnightDraven; 01-07-2011 at 04:26 PM..
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 PM   #5
jdoherty76

Thanks Midnight maybe a mistake buying the berry then. But I have a works phone and I think the cheapest plan I could get with O2 is probably around £20 a month. Tesco @ £10/mth will do me as I have a company phone. So not sure what I can use other than phone/txts msgs and with data plan I should be able to browse the net that right?

Also I heard that Tesco run on the back of O2 but not sure how true this is???

Thanks again..
Old 01-07-2011, 05:24 PM   #6
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Tesco use O2's towers as they don't have towers of their own, but the network i.e. what they sell etc, is completely their own.

No. If you go with Tesco and a blackberry, you will not be able to surf the net. Blackberry's require a blackberry data plan to make data work correctly.

Yes, the cheapest plan from O2 is £20.43 [Simplicity for Blackberry] for 1 month rolling contract, or you go down the PAYG route.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:53 AM   #7
jdoherty76

Thanks MidnightDraven appreciate your response and help. Possibly I'll look for another provider as I went with tesco as they provided a good data plan and at the time I didn't realise I'd need special requirements for the blackberry..

I see in this weeks paper Tesco mobile are selling the blackberry curve 8250 as an online inclusive so maybe they are making changes to the way their network works...

Thanks
Old 01-08-2011, 07:41 AM   #8
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Yes, I've just checked and they are selling it on their own network, but the details about the plan aren't specfic, and I can't find any reference to blackberries. Perhaps they are just slow in updating their site.

One would like to think they have the proper setup to offer full blackberry data if they are offering the phone.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:32 AM   #9
jdoherty76

Agreed I'll give them a call when the sim arrives as I have to call them with the pak code. Still can't understand if you have a fone thats internet capable and you have a data plan (not BB) with your provider why you can't browse the net. still i don't make the rules..
Old 01-08-2011, 10:34 AM   #10
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Because a blackberry requires service books to work. Service books control everything, including browsing.
Without a blackberry data plan, you cannot get the service books to make things work.

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 AM   #11
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoherty76 View Post
Still can't understand if you have a fone thats internet capable and you have a data plan (not BB) with your provider why you can't browse the net. still i don't make the rules..
All you need to understand is a Blackberry is not like any other smartphone and the Blackberry data plan is a requirement to make everything work properly.
Old 01-08-2011, 01:18 PM   #12
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
All you need to understand is a Blackberry is not like any other smartphone and the Blackberry data plan is a requirement to make everything work properly.
Indeed. It's not really a technical thing, but it's done my RIM so operators can distinguish BB data traffic and charge differently for it compared with other data services. This makes supporting RIM attractive to operators. BB traffic uses a special 'APN' - kind of like a subnet for those who know IP networks. Just as well (for RIM), as RIM at least used to charge operators for every BB connection. They can do this because all BB data traffic (on the BB APN) goes through RIM's network so devices in use are known (by RIM), RIM can charge the operator, and the operator can charge the user.

That doesn't ALWAYS work against the consumer. If I recall correctly, it has been advantageous to be on T-Mobile UK when roaming, compared to generic data services.

Last edited by wibbly; 01-08-2011 at 01:24 PM..
Old 01-09-2011, 04:13 PM   #13
jdoherty76

Thanks Everyone appreciate all your responses. If Tesco mobile doesn't support the BB I'll just punt it. I'll then get a smartphone that I can actually use to browse the net without all this service pack stuff. thanks again and appreciated. JD
Old 01-09-2011, 04:16 PM   #14
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

[Service book not pack]

Old 01-10-2011, 02:10 PM   #15
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdoherty76 View Post
Thanks Everyone appreciate all your responses. If Tesco mobile doesn't support the BB
Happened to be looking at their web site. I think they do support the BB.
Old 01-10-2011, 02:14 PM   #16
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

They didn't up till recently. They are selling a blackberry, but their site doesn't mention anything specific with regards to blackberry data on their other plans.
To be fair, it doesn't specifically mention blackberry data on the plan they are selling with the phone.

Old 01-10-2011, 02:16 PM   #17
wibbly
CrackBerry Addict

This might be worth a look

Free BlackBerry Sim Cards on T-Mobile - Get a free BlackBerry SIM card on Pay As You Go
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #18
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Wibbly, have you heard that T-mobile [as of Feb 1st 2011] are reducing all data plans to a FUP of 500MB?

Closed Thread