Old 03-08-2005, 11:33 AM   #1
Entropy666
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: 24311b91
Carrier: AT&T
Default Found J2ME Ebook Reader for my 7100t

Please Login to Remove!

I know at least i have looked far and wide to find a ebook reader that worked on the blackberry. Its the major thing i was missing since i was forced to get a blackberry. I even tried the Jedi Reader mentioned here and that was a total flop since it never worked because the blackberry cant download 300k files over the air in J2ME at least on t-mobile. ontop of that you have the problem with efile that reading PDF's is a pain in the arse.

So here is my screwy solution that works like a charm first you purchase the mbReader for 10$
http://www.unteh.com/products/mbreader/
or from handago
http://www.handango.com/PlatformProd...roductId=84826

I know it says that it is the Nokia version but as it mentions there is a Nokia version and a Generic version. What i did is purchased the nokia version and within a day the developer emailed me the Generic version.

Okay so now for how it works since it took me some trial and error to get it to work like a charm but oh does it work well.
Once you get the zip software from the developer for the generic version it comes with a great little program called mbSplitter that is smple enough by breaking text files into multiple little J2ME files that are standalone readers.
Now came my first workaround: Well everytime i did a OTA download i got a verification error when i tried to run the installed .jar and .jad files. So i used the workaround that is found here to manually make a .cod file and use javaloader.exe to upload the J2ME files. Now there are no verification errors and the ebooks read like a charm. You can find the instructions to use javaloader.exe here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=5339

Now if only one of you geniuses on the forums could help me find a way to not have to use javaloader.exe i would be eternally greatful but if it takes me 2-3 minutes to install a whole book im willing to live with that. Especially since the software lets you change the font size, The background color, bold the text and scroll. And most importantly bookmark.
Here is a screenshot:

Somebody might also want to look at this program that is free but i cant seem to get to work:
http://peb.splitbits.com/Wiki.jsp?page=Main
but i keep on getting a malformed address every time i try scrolling more than a page into the book since it seems to want to always download the books a page at a time so as to save space.

Well i hope i posted in the right area but this is my first post so please be a bit forgiving. i just thought it would be useful to all you book lovers out there since i spent hours trying to get anything to work. PM me if you want me to also send you and example .cod file that you can put on your blackberry.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:46 AM   #2
tomeka

Model: 7230

There is an another way for making ebooks for BB and it's working superb
You need:
1. TequilaCat BookReader 1.6.10 (beta) + Shell 1.8.5 - for making ebooks: jad and jar files from txt files (one txt file for chapter must be < 65kB, than you could create bigger tan 65kB ebooks)
2. BlackBerry JDE - for converting ebooks (jar, jad) to the COD, and alx.
http://www.blackberry.com/knowledge...582 8&vernum=0
3. BlackBerry Desktop - for loading ebooks on BB device

It works verry good and ebooks are full screen and suports localizations (polish for example).

.... and all this stuff is free ...
Old 05-17-2005, 11:53 AM   #3
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t
Carrier: T-Mobile

I find that when I dig into this stuff there's always some little tweak that I can't get past. Does anyone know of a guide for idiots?
Old 11-12-2006, 02:01 PM   #4
setarris
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Default eBook Reader

Why not just use Mobipocket Reader and read books?

Mobipocket.com - eBooks for your PDA and Smartphone, Palm PocketPC Symbian
Closed Thread