Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
ekkoville

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default New Storm Issues

Please Login to Remove!

I've had the Storm now for three days and getting used to it. Coming from the 8830 and the trackball has taken some time. Couple of issues I am having:

One, the 8GB Media Card has all the sudden gotten errors. I did a switch device last night with the 8830 on the Desktop Manager and it said it was successful. Now it says I need to use a PC checkdisk app to fix the media card. In between the error notification and switch device app, I synced with Missing Sync to put some photos, music, video and calendar info on it.

Second, I can't figure out how to get the contacts from Blackberry Messenger to the new Storm. I have searched to no avail and it wasn't an option on the Switch Device. I would really rather not have to send an invite to all the contacts again.

Thanks in advance,
Erik
Old 12-09-2008, 12:26 PM   #2
jheiney
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post

Second, I can't figure out how to get the contacts from Blackberry Messenger to the new Storm. I have searched to no avail and it wasn't an option on the Switch Device. I would really rather not have to send an invite to all the contacts again.
If you've saved your contact's PINs in your address book, that'll save you a little bit of time since you'll not have to manually type in PINs while looking at your PC screen. I'm pretty sure you'll have to send out invites to your contacts in BlackBerry Messenger again since you have a different PIN in your new Storm.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:39 PM   #3
armandov99
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

You don't necessarily have to send new invites. On my last upgrade, I used Desktop Manager to back up my Pearl. I made sure I only checked contacts, and BB Messenger, as I didn't care about anything else.

Then I plugged in my new Curve and hit 'restore' and used the backup I had just created from the Pearl. All my contacts in bb messenger were in my new Curve. Some say you can change your status or name, then change it back and it will update you on their end without you having to send a message. But I do know I didn't have to send new invites, at least.
Old 12-09-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
ekkoville

Well, I didn't do a restore and wonder if that's what I should have done. Will a restoral from a 8830 to a Storm work? And I guess that would wipe out what I did last night. Maybe I'll try that.

EK
Old 12-09-2008, 02:06 PM   #5
qc_metal
CrackBerry Addict

Yep - the Desktop Manager backup and restore is awesome, not to mention EASY. LOVE IT.
Old 12-09-2008, 08:38 PM   #6
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb

One, the 8GB Media Card has all the sudden gotten errors. I did a switch device last night with the 8830 on the Desktop Manager and it said it was successful. Now it says I need to use a PC checkdisk app to fix the media card. In between the error notification and switch device app, I synced with Missing Sync to put some photos, music, video and calendar info on it.

Thanks in advance,
Erik[/QUOTE]

I had the same error message. As the 8GB card functionally is a hard disk, I ran CHKDSK and it fixed the problem. This is called software maintenance. try it sometime. 73
Old 12-09-2008, 08:59 PM   #7
ekkoville

CHKDSK.......man, gonna have to reacquaint myself to that. Been on a mac for 20 months now. lol I'll look into that thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
jheiney
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc_metal View Post
Yep - the Desktop Manager backup and restore is awesome, not to mention EASY. LOVE IT.
Good to know. I'm glad I only have 8 or 9 friends with BlackBerrys else I'd have been sending invites all day when I bought the Storm.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:11 PM   #9
hudres
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: n/a
Carrier: verizon
Lightbulb Chkdsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkoville View Post
CHKDSK.......man, gonna have to reacquaint myself to that. Been on a mac for 20 months now. lol I'll look into that thanks.
Go to My Computer, highlight the disk labeled "Blackberry2", Select Properties, Tools, Error Checking. Select both check boxes and let it do its things. ". Should take less than a minute. 73
Closed Thread