Old 03-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #341
lefty
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [IFC]Area51
Guys, i actually went back to this OS from .73 to try it again.

I installed couple of applications and JiveTalk .27 being one of them.

I went into status just to see and indeed i saw the file size decreasing (is this what you guys mean by memory leak?). Well anyways, the first application i thought of uninstalling was JiveTalk and guess what? After it was deleted i saw my memory size slowly going back up.

Highlighting the actual numbers acts like a refresh like every 2 minutes or so.

I will try JiveTalk .26 to try that version out.

*EDIT* Yup, confirmed. JiveTalk .27 is decresing my memory, just test it again.

Before installing it my memory was: 24869000 Bytes
and after installing it it has been going down and it's currently sitting at: 24383128 Bytes.

When JiveTalk is uninstalled my memory is stable. Hope this helps.

P.S. I see some people having memory leaks and they DON'T have JiveTalk installed. So im guessing is definitelly one of your applications, mines just happened to be JiveTalk.27.

I thought i had a link to JiveTalk .26 but i think they overwrite the links to stay up to date with the newest releases.

*EDIT AGAIN* omg!, this is weird, i installed JiveTalk again just to confirm and my memory is going up? What gives? Sorry for all the confusion guys/gals.

P.S. I'll keep installed longer and see what happens. Maybe im just freaking out or something! Maybe the JiveTalk resources makes the memory seesaw?
Jivetalk has a lot of logging going on in the background.. history of conversations, etc..
Old 03-19-2007, 11:22 AM   #342
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgizzard
not sure if this is a new bug, but i first noticed it after upgrading to 4.2.1.106...

adding multiple recipients to a sms message results in the first name being repeated x times...it seems to send the message correctly to all of the added recipients, though
Not a bug. It happens on my .64 Tmob software too. IMO this software "update" only fixes the auto backlight dim feature that many hated with the "moving trackball ends call ring" upgrade. All the reported bugs/problems leads me to believe that there are some settings in the TIM version that are not entirely compatable with the US handsets or 3rd part apps. I bet Tmob/Cing comes back with a version soon that leaves the backlight option on.

Last edited by TheBigNewt; 03-19-2007 at 11:25 AM..
Old 03-19-2007, 11:55 AM   #343
GQBalla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z10
Carrier: Bell

okay so i removed DM and reinstalled and installed the TIM release -

wiped my pearl using jl cmder, deleted vendor, installed os

now its not booting up?!?!??!

EDIT***

nevermind did a battery reset - booted up in 2 minutes.

Last edited by GQBalla; 03-19-2007 at 11:58 AM..
Old 03-19-2007, 12:43 PM   #344
fgizzard
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
Not a bug. It happens on my .64 Tmob software too. IMO this software "update" only fixes the auto backlight dim feature that many hated with the "moving trackball ends call ring" upgrade. All the reported bugs/problems leads me to believe that there are some settings in the TIM version that are not entirely compatable with the US handsets or 3rd part apps. I bet Tmob/Cing comes back with a version soon that leaves the backlight option on.

not a NEW bug, i'm guessing you mean
Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #345
GQBalla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Update!

frees up a lot of memory.

before the upgrade with .71

after with 4.2.1.66

alarm feature with daily alarm is cool.
my videos play but it locked my pearl completly up...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:49 PM   #346
rkkeller
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt
All the reported bugs/problems leads me to believe that there are some settin the TIM version that are not entirely compatable with the US handsets or 3rd part apps.

I dont know if I would agree as I really dont see many bugs that effect "100% of everyone" that upgraded. Some seem to have no problems while others do using the same program or doing the same thing.

I am thinking that some updates did not go smoothly and/or people did not close all running programs and do a battery pull before updating.

I said in another thread that I was not going to update but the idea of a speed increase, separate sms/mms and email icons, snappier media player, etc... made me curious so I did update earlier. I closed all my running programs and disabled the autostarts for the ones that did and then I pulled the battery for a reset. Then during the update, which takes about 20 minutes, I had no programs running on my computer and I did nothing, just let it update. When it was done, I pulled the battery for a reset and when it started it worked fine.

I reenabled all my autostarts and then tried every single icon I had and everything is working well. It does change some of the main BB settings as I went menu by menu thru them all but thats about the worst thing I noticed "so far?????". JiveTalk Beta 5.27 works fine unlike some say, IM+ 4.24 works fine, Gmail, GoogleMaps, BB Maps, Memo Pad, tasks, calculator, etc...
Old 03-19-2007, 12:51 PM   #347
rivviepop

Model: 8320
PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefty
Jivetalk has a lot of logging going on in the background.. history of conversations, etc..
Also remember that you're dealing with an entire Java infrastructure here; since I know a lot of y'all aren't programmers lemme give the basics as simply as I can. In java (and C++, etc. - OO languages) you instantiate an "object" that does a thing. Let's say it's "Send Message Object". You use this object (object->getTextFromScreen(), object->sendTextToNetwork()) to do a task then walk away. You do *not* destroy the object like in a C-type language - you just walk away.

So, this object - while unused any longer - is sitting on the heap waiting to be "reaped" by the internal garbage collection processes. GC is very ... difficult to explain quickly, so just pretend it's magic stuff that frees up unused memory. The point here is that you could look at your handset status at one moment and it shows 24meg free, then in 30 seconds it might show 26meg free; this would probably indicate the internal GC has cleaned the heap of unused objects and freed memory properly.

It is not uncommon to see the memory bounce up and down, especially while an application is active and doing work. Part of the reason for GC is that if a second request for an object comes along, internally Java can just re-use the same blocks of memory (so, it's faster and more efficient - a memory malloc() can be expensive on a tiny device like a phone). An object is only reaped off the heap if it's stale and not used (or can't be re-used for some reason). Ergo, "bouncing" memory stats.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:31 PM   #348
djxedxd

Model: 9530
PIN: bic,no ball point,wait its blue
Carrier: Verizon

Alright I've read the whole thread . And i think theres way more pros then cons . So I'm takeing the plunge. Just one question. Does it matter in what order that you do the update and the alx. and xml. files. Or wont it make a difference which is first. heres to crossing my fingers
Old 03-19-2007, 01:43 PM   #349
[IFC]Area51

Model: 9650
PIN: GU!!!
Carrier: Sprint PCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivviepop
Also remember that you're dealing with an entire Java infrastructure here; since I know a lot of y'all aren't programmers lemme give the basics as simply as I can. In java (and C++, etc. - OO languages) you instantiate an "object" that does a thing. Let's say it's "Send Message Object". You use this object (object->getTextFromScreen(), object->sendTextToNetwork()) to do a task then walk away. You do *not* destroy the object like in a C-type language - you just walk away.

So, this object - while unused any longer - is sitting on the heap waiting to be "reaped" by the internal garbage collection processes. GC is very ... difficult to explain quickly, so just pretend it's magic stuff that frees up unused memory. The point here is that you could look at your handset status at one moment and it shows 24meg free, then in 30 seconds it might show 26meg free; this would probably indicate the internal GC has cleaned the heap of unused objects and freed memory properly.

It is not uncommon to see the memory bounce up and down, especially while an application is active and doing work. Part of the reason for GC is that if a second request for an object comes along, internally Java can just re-use the same blocks of memory (so, it's faster and more efficient - a memory malloc() can be expensive on a tiny device like a phone). An object is only reaped off the heap if it's stale and not used (or can't be re-used for some reason). Ergo, "bouncing" memory stats.
Thanks for the explanation bro.
8100|8300|8310|8320|8900|9000|9700|9650
Old 03-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #350
krad
No longer Registered.

Model: 0000

Quote:
Originally Posted by beninark
I found a bug...

I cant go into standby mode via the mute button after ending a call and while the screen is showing my call log...I have to go to the main screen before it will stand by...

also has anyone noticed that this one seems to use up the battery a little quicker than .71 from cingular?
i think this is by design... the mute button pretains to the phone application inside the call log. I think it is purposly locked not to standby from this screen.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:09 PM   #351
jaylasad

Model: 9000
Carrier: Orange & TMobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast
Anybody else have the ringer java error when you play the preloaded ringtones. And is there a fix........

So far, i noticed 2 problems:
1. when playing .mid ringtones, i get the exception error
2. some of the movies i cannot play anymore
Old 03-19-2007, 04:03 PM   #352
Spaceboy88

Any problems with MyFavs? For me, when I upgraded to .73, all my personalized ringtones for MyFavs contacts went wacky and no matter what I did to fix it they never played the right tones.
Old 03-19-2007, 04:51 PM   #353
kankanman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: tmo

9 pages of posts..... was gonna read to decide whether to upgrade or not....

not anymore. maybe ill just wait for an official release from a US carrier. ill feel more secure that way
Old 03-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #354
megacrazy

Carrier: xxxx

Wondering if you should update or not? DON'T. It's that simple. My installation went fine, I resent service books etc.

I've used this for a couple of days and it's full of problems:

- browser window pops up...can't get rid of it no matter what you delete resend etc
- Applications become unresponsive for long periods of time randomly
- Hour glass pops up randomly even when you're not doing anything, like something's going on in the background. You can't press any buttons.
- Phone crashed a couple of times.
- Randomly when you place a call you won't hear anything and the other person won't hear anything even though it connects. Only a battery pull helps here.
- When entering symbols (pressing the sym key) things are extremely slow. They get so slow it gets xtremely hard to select any symbol.
- When using multitap phone becomes unresponsive randomly missing the second key press, thus you keep writing the wrong letter.
- Fonts are messed up. in the media view fonts are way too big no matter what font you select. The same goes for hte browser. Some titles take up half hte screen no matter what font choice.
- The media player will become unresponsive randomly when opening a new song...taking up to 20-30 seconds or more to do this. Haven't experimented with video.
- The camera seems slower overall.
- The music quality has gone to shit (like somebody turned the bass down to 0)

That's all I can think of right now. Overall this release has problems with my tmobile usa phone. Others might work better. So far, the negatives outweigh the advantages. I'm downgrading. I started feeling like I was using my piece of crap nokia N80 again....

To clarify one more thing...These things do not have a memory leak. A memory leak is when you open a browser window and it either crashes or it says out of memory. You guys are talking more about a storage leak. The more you use the phone the more temporary files it creates apparently. This is not a leak it's probably poor garbage management . In 3 days available space went down from 21 to about 14 with this firmware. After a reboot it was back up to 21.

Use nokia phones for a couple of days if you want to see memory leaks.

Last edited by megacrazy; 03-19-2007 at 06:52 PM..
Old 03-19-2007, 08:09 PM   #355
rivviepop

PIN: n/a
Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by megacrazy
To clarify one more thing...These things do not have a memory leak. A memory leak is when you open a browser window and it either crashes or it says out of memory. You guys are talking more about a storage leak. The more you use the phone the more temporary files it creates apparently. This is not a leak it's probably poor garbage management
You're a bit off here -- they can in fact have memory leaks, and most likely do. They might also have what you refer to as a storage leak, but really it's hard to tell without having a more intrinsic understanding of the code itself (which I'll probably never see unless I go work for RIM). A memory leak can be as simple as an object that never "exits" (like the Messages applet) who would sub-instantiate another class over and over without ever letting it go -- think like 'view message'. Since the parent never exits and it never releases the sub-object or reuses the ones it's already set up, you get a classic memory leak.

It's not a good comparison between a S60 handset like the N80 and a BB device; a better comparison would be to a HTC WM5-based device. A S60 handset uses different "sets" of memory, storage and runtime, which are discreet from one another. A BB device, like a HTC device, uses one pool of memory as storage and memory. So whereas an E50 will come with 70meg of storage and 20meg of runtime (12 useable after boot), a BB 8100 comes with 64meg which is used for all of the above.

One of the more interesting aspects of the BB java based model is that after the initial runtime loads and all the backbone code, subsequent code bits take a lot less memory than, say, if it were all C++ based. This is why you can get a lot of functionality out of such a seemingly small JAR file for instance. If you've ever worked with a java based webapp server (like Tomcat, JRun, Weblogic, Dynamo, etc.) then you'd see that the phone pretty much works in the same way - every applet is a webapp, so to speak.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:23 PM   #356
GQBalla
Thumbs Must Hurt

i upgraded to the new os .. now im missing my turn bluetooth on.

i established a new connection with my headset - but the turn on bt is gone?

HELP!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 08:29 PM   #357
churchill
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2423A5E5
Carrier: tmobile

The turn bluetooth off command is a toggle for on and off
Old 03-19-2007, 08:32 PM   #358
shimey
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: pearl
Carrier: tmo

QUOTING:

megacrazy

Wondering if you should update or not? DON'T. It's that simple. My installation went fine, I resent service books etc.

I've used this for a couple of days and it's full of problems:

- browser window pops up...can't get rid of it no matter what you delete resend etc
- never happened for me

- Applications become unresponsive for long periods of time randomly
- never happens for me

- Hour glass pops up randomly even when you're not doing anything, like something's going on in the background. You can't press any buttons.
- never happened to me

- Phone crashed a couple of times.
- haven't had a crash

- Randomly when you place a call you won't hear anything and the other person won't hear anything even though it connects. Only a battery pull helps here.
- had this happen four times (so far) phone NEVER did it before upgrade. ANNOYED

- When entering symbols (pressing the sym key) things are extremely slow. They get so slow it gets xtremely hard to select any symbol.
- never happens to me

- When using multitap phone becomes unresponsive randomly missing the second key press, thus you keep writing the wrong letter.
- never happens to me

- Fonts are messed up. in the media view fonts are way too big no matter what font you select. The same goes for hte browser. Some titles take up half hte screen no matter what font choice.
- no comment, haven't experienced, but seems many have.

- The media player will become unresponsive randomly when opening a new song...taking up to 20-30 seconds or more to do this. Haven't experimented with video.
- never use the media player. no comment.

- The camera seems slower overall.
- completely opposite for me. camera seems noticeably faster. though i do get twenty seconds + of hour glass when accessing pictures the first time after a battery pull. After that, though, it's fast, fast, fast.

- The music quality has gone to shit (like somebody turned the bass down to 0)
- never use the media player. no comment
Old 03-19-2007, 11:11 PM   #359
YMark

Quote:
Originally Posted by lxalexxl
Here are the edited .alx files for several providers

T-Mobile
Cingular
Sprint
Bell Mobility Canada
Rogers
Verizon

Place this file in

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\8100-v4.2.1.66_P2.3.0.57
Is anyone else having issues when clicking on one of the above links? All I get is a page for Wiki Upload. Can't seem to find the file to download, specifically the one for T-Mobile.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #360
hf1khal
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: At&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by YMark
Is anyone else having issues when clicking on one of the above links? All I get is a page for Wiki Upload. Can't seem to find the file to download, specifically the one for T-Mobile.
If you look in the midle and on the right side of the page you will see this: click on it and it will get you the file.