Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 12:27 PM   #1
Just Guessing
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7100T
Carrier: verizon
Arrow BES on SBS 2003 using SQL

Please Login to Remove!

I am installing BES 4.1 on a Windows SBS 2003 server. During the installation, the BES install detected the instance of SQL that comes with SBS 2003 (I did NOT get the version of SBS that comes with SQL 2005, so I don't have full blown SQL). I think SBS uses SQL 2000 natively for it's own functions. SBS uses SQL for error and status reporting.

The bottom line is that the install wants to connect to an SQL database, but is reporting that there is none. There is no SQL manager on SBS 2003. I don't see any way to configure the existing SQL for BES. I think I should install MSDE 2000 instead.

Thanks, if you have any ideas.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:30 PM   #2
stasmayer

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Suncom
Smile Same Problem...

Quote:
I am installing BES 4.1 on a Windows SBS 2003 server. During the installation, the BES install detected the instance of SQL that comes with SBS 2003 (I did NOT get the version of SBS that comes with SQL 2005, so I don't have full blown SQL). I think SBS uses SQL 2000 natively for it's own functions. SBS uses SQL for error and status reporting.

The bottom line is that the install wants to connect to an SQL database, but is reporting that there is none. There is no SQL manager on SBS 2003. I don't see any way to configure the existing SQL for BES. I think I should install MSDE 2000 instead.

Thanks, if you have any ideas.
I'm having the same exact problem... It's the 1 user freebie BES... The one thing that I did encounter (as i followed the install directions to a T, as I haven't done this exact install yet) is that it wanted the MDAC 2.8, which doesn't install on the 2K3 SBS...

Any help with this matter would be VERY helpful!
Thanks!!
Old 12-07-2007, 03:23 PM   #3
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Alright guys *cracks fingers*

This is a known issue when installing on SBS.

The preexisting install of MSDE is for some reason hell to detect.

What you will need to do is this.

Cancel the install and/or uninstall whatever is currently there for the BES.

Then, you need to install MSDE yourself as a default instance.

Download MSDE 2000a from Microsoft. Run the file to extract the installation files (by default goes to C:\MSDERelA)

Then, from a command prompt in that location, issue the following command.

C:\MSDERelA> setup SAPWD="Password" SECURITYMODE=SQL

This will install a default instance of MSDE. Everything that comes with SBS is always named instances, so there should be no conflicts.

When you setup BES, your SQL server name would be just the machine name and the database of BESMgmt. All should be well.

If you want a named instance, just use this command to set it up instead.

c:\MSDERelA> setup INSTANCENAME="InstanceName" SAPWD="Password" SECURITYMODE=SQL

*Note* Keep the quotes in those above commands as it is a string.

Then the BES install for the SQL server would be "MachineName\InstanceName"
Old 12-08-2007, 01:33 AM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

This is an awesome post! Lets see if we can't get that to be a KB Article ...
Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 AM   #5
Ugg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: O2

The SBS that I'm sat in front of at the moment has three SQL Instances on it. Two came "out of the box" and one was done via the method that Darkwater describes above. If you look at the list of running services you'll probably see "MSSQL$SBSMONITORING" and "MSSQL$SHAREPOINT", and in my case also "MSSQLSERVER".

I'd stay clear of installing another non-default instance name as I've seen it cause issues with MDS Services (although this was a couple of service packs ago).

If you want a "manager" front-end for MSDE you could do worse than try here:
English Home Page English - DbaMgr e DbaMgr2K

There's also the "osql" command line as well - RIM's pages tend to include osql examples and although it's not clicky pointy you can do most things that way if you have to.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:08 AM   #6
DarkWater
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

The problems with the instance name have been resolved in the latest versions.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #7
jaytnc

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

Alright, I'm about to throw MSDE out the window... I've followed DarkWater's instructions and also the post by Chris Dalby... I cannot get the new instance of MSDE to install. Period. Therefore I cannot finish the install of BES. Installing BES on a Win2k3 SBS server with sharepoint is must just not a viable solution, apparently. It's only for one BB user, so it's not worth this headache.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
bbxpert

Model: 7100i
Carrier: nextel

RIM KB BlackBerry Search Results
You can also use SQL Express 2005
BlackBerry Search Results
You can use either a named instance or the default instance.
I always install an instance named BlackBerry for my clients so my SQL server connection name is : machinename\BlackBerry

I don't think its been fixed in the latest release as BES Pro is still only at 4.1.4, its only had the one release, I'll have to check the next time I do a fresh install of 4.1.6 enterprise though.
Old 10-09-2008, 08:46 PM   #9
bbxpert

Model: 7100i
Carrier: nextel

Sorry I messed up the link to SQL Express 2005
SQL Server Express 2005 Download
Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 AM   #10
fadmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Z10
Carrier: Fido

You know I'd stay away from installing BES on SBS as it could be installed on some stand alone XP as well (not recommanded but it works) and will work ok. It might give you more problems in the long run having it on SBS then benefits that of one user that has BB...
Old 10-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #11
jaytnc

I've followed KB11232 also. It gets to about 20seconds remaining and it rollsback the installation. Guess I'll go get another machine and run 2k5 on it just so we can have BES running.
Old 10-10-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
MoGeN

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

I have installed a BES server on over 25 SBS 2003 machines and I have one finishing now (the bb is at 98%)

The entire install to activation time on a SBS 2003 machine should be no more than 20 minutes tops if you know what you are doing.

As for the SQL install I have stopped using MSDE 2000a and moved over to MSDE 2005 Express.

This is what you do to make it simple.

1) Download the software to C:\Downloads
2) Open a command prompt and go to C:\Downloads
3) Run this command C:\Downloads\SQLEXPR32.exe -X
4) A prompt will open asking you where to Extract the program (C:\MSDE2005)
5) From the SAME command prompt browse to C:\MSDE2005
6) Run this command setup INSTANCENAME="blackberry" SAPWD="password" (this is a copy/paste from a blackberry support e-mail from 2005)
7) *VERY IMPORTANT* When it opens the installer for MSDE 2005 UNCHECK the Hide Advanced Options. Continue clicking next in the install until it comes to the point where it asks about Authentication. Selected MIXED MODE and enter "password" as the password.
8) When it comes time in the install you will see SERVERNAME you add \blackberry to make it SERVERNAME\blackberry
Old 10-10-2008, 06:19 PM   #13
jaytnc

Thank you, MoGeN. That worked flawlessly!
Old 10-11-2008, 12:58 PM   #14
bremere
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8230
PIN: ky and the Brain
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoGeN View Post
I have installed a BES server on over 25 SBS 2003 machines and I have one finishing now (the bb is at 98%)

The entire install to activation time on a SBS 2003 machine should be no more than 20 minutes tops if you know what you are doing.

As for the SQL install I have stopped using MSDE 2000a and moved over to MSDE 2005 Express.

This is what you do to make it simple.

1) Download the software to C:\Downloads
2) Open a command prompt and go to C:\Downloads
3) Run this command C:\Downloads\SQLEXPR32.exe -X
4) A prompt will open asking you where to Extract the program (C:\MSDE2005)
5) From the SAME command prompt browse to C:\MSDE2005
6) Run this command setup INSTANCENAME="blackberry" SAPWD="password" (this is a copy/paste from a blackberry support e-mail from 2005)
7) *VERY IMPORTANT* When it opens the installer for MSDE 2005 UNCHECK the Hide Advanced Options. Continue clicking next in the install until it comes to the point where it asks about Authentication. Selected MIXED MODE and enter "password" as the password.
8) When it comes time in the install you will see SERVERNAME you add \blackberry to make it SERVERNAME\blackberry

Dude....I was having this problem all morning!!! Thanks a million for your expertise and ability to help!!! These directions were SPOT ON!!! PERFECTION

-emb
Old 10-30-2008, 10:23 AM   #15
MoGeN

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Glad I could help.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:15 PM   #16
Just Guessing

Model: 7100T
Carrier: verizon

Interestingly enough, SQL Express 2005 is in the Tools folder of the BES installation folder. I used this on my last install. Use the default settings (although I put it on my data drive rather than C and it works fine. Faster than downloading from Microsoft.
Closed Thread