tomtheguitarguy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T Mobility

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredH View Post
As far as I know yes, under Bluetooth it says, Paired Devices: Keychain GPS 2000. And then under properties for Trusted I selected "yes" and encryption is enabled by default.

It says it's a SPP Slave under Services as well if that helps...

Try disabling the encryption. Just a thought, as that has cleared up a couple of issues for me in the past when I was with Verizon.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:40 PM   #22
JaredH
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtheguitarguy View Post
Try disabling the encryption. Just a thought, as that has cleared up a couple of issues for me in the past when I was with Verizon.
I'll give it a shot, thanks for the input, I'll tell you if I have any luck.
Old 06-22-2008, 10:41 PM   #23
JaredH

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
If you can get the GPS2000 to show coordinates in the GPS Options then it it's not the GPS unit. It's something in the setup of Google Maps. Could be a permissions issue.
I'm just on a regular bis account, and all permissions are default and default during downloading GM as well.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #24
drhink
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

'Exit' out of Google Maps, go into your BB bluetooth setup, delete the GPS puck, then re-pair the GPS device with the BB. Restart Google Maps (2.2.0), go into menu option "Bluetooth GPS", select "SPP Slave". Should be able to then press zero to 'go to my location', and the tracking should now work.

I've had to do this after any Google map software upgrades. Note that 2.2.0 on my curve overrides the screen saver when tracking, so my screen stays always on. The sure sign tracking isn't working is if my screen saver turns off the screen - then I know it's not tracking properly. Also, if you are moving, when GM is in tracking mode, you'll see a small blue arrowhead by the blue dot showing direction of movement. What's REALLY weird is, if I turn my GPS puck off and disable Bluetooth GPS in the Google Maps menu, it's still somehow is able to roughly figure out where I am, but when I press zero to 'go to my location', it says 'Your location within 1400 meters' instead of the usual 20 meters using the puck, and it no longer tracks (blue arrowhead goes away). It seems 2.2 is able to do a rough triangulation using the cell towers or something; you see a light blue shaded circle around your location dot showing the margin for error. Freaky cool!

Oh yeah, forgot to mention: I'm using a QStarz BT-Q818 puck. Been very happy with it for the past year. Amazing battery life, and can use my BB mini-USB charger when needed. I highly recommend it!

Last edited by drhink; 06-23-2008 at 07:27 PM..
Old 06-23-2008, 10:22 PM   #25
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

drhink:

Just tried that - still did not show that "Bluetooth gps" item in the menu after deleting and re-pairing with my Freedom puck.

Just downloaded and now rebooting after using JClark's link. Shall see in a few moments..... (tick, tick, tick....)

.................. (hour glass spins and I twiddle my BB thumbs)....

A watched BB never reboots.....

Verizon....

Still don't have that menu item. This is very odd.

Actually, GoogleMaps is showing my location at 3 meters but the BB's blue led is NOT flashing while the puck's blue light is flashing.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:20 AM   #26
Organman
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: Verizon (unfortunately)
Default Google maps doesn't track

This is a known problem discussed several times elsewhere. Googlemaps does not have the ability to keep initiating communication with the GPS puck. It may initially show your location when you first turn it on, but then it no longer refreshes. It is not a problem with your Keychain. The only way to get Googlemaps to follow you properly is to first turn on some other program like BBMaps and get BBMaps running through "start navigation". Then when that's working properly, keep it running in the background and THEN turn on Googlemaps. Googlemaps will then keep tracking you since it will use the continually updating coordinates that BBMaps is getting for itself!

You might also try running Nav4All in the background and THEN turn on Googlemaps..

I've got the 8830 with Verizon.
Old 06-24-2008, 07:53 PM   #27
FF2
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Does it show the flashing blue dot? If not, hit menu in Google Maps and go to Bluetooth GPS and select SPP.

Then hit "0" to "Go to my location."

Also, make sure you've paired the puck.
I don't know if this violates any policies or copyrights but might it be possible for someone to "export" the cod file(s) for the google maps version that shows the BLUETOOTH GPS item on the menu and make it available for download? I am very curious why I do not see this item on the menu and wonder if having that option would fix the fact that GoogleMaps does not generally find my puck.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:57 PM   #28
JaredH

I think the bluetooth gps option on GM is not on any verizon phones based on what I've seen from peoples reviews, it seems to be a repeating occurrence.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 PM   #29
JaredH

Good news guys!

Well I don't think turning encyption off but I booted up bbmaps in the background and now GM follows me perfectly!! I still don't have the GPS bluetooth option in GM but it works with BBmaps running in the background.

Thanks for all the trouble shooting, I cant believe it works!

Thanks everyone
Closed Thread