Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 10:08 AM   #21
tdefriez

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Unhappy Sorry but

Please Login to Remove!

I've used those files - just did a comparison between freshly files and those in the install and there the same and the issue is still there.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:57 PM   #22
b_ohare
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: AT&T
Default Can't assign Blackberry Maps to key in PocketDay

Does Cingular hiding it have anything to do with this problem?

I have PocketDay and can't map a key to Blackberry Maps. (I can map all other applications.) However, I can see Blackberry Maps in my list under applications (and can use it if I go through Blackberry's Today screen).

- B.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:57 PM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

My guess is yes it does. The icon is hidden but the app is actually loaded on the device. You can edit the LBS.alx file on your PC or use one that is already edited from the site I linked above. Then the BBMaps icon will show and work normally. As far as mapping a key to BBMaps I'm guessing it will work after that. I don't know for sure.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:59 PM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdefriez View Post
I've used those files - just did a comparison between freshly files and those in the install and there the same and the issue is still there.
You lost me. BBMaps is hidden on Cingular devices now unless you edit the LBS.alx file. You can edit it yourself or Edited LBS.alx files are provided for each OS version in the thread I linked above.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:05 PM   #25
b_ohare
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
My guess is yes it does. The icon is hidden but the app is actually loaded on the device. You can edit the LBS.alx file on your PC or use one that is already edited from the site I linked above. Then the BBMaps icon will show and work normally. As far as mapping a key to BBMaps I'm guessing it will work after that. I don't know for sure.
Thanx for the idea. Unfortunately, it didn't work. I can see and choose Maps from the application screen (i.e., it isn't hidden), but still can't assign a PocketDay key to it because it doesn't show up as one of the applications in PocketDay. Drat.

- B.
Old 06-30-2007, 09:32 AM   #26
tdefriez

Angry To clarify LBS files

I downloaded the Rogers software, installed on Windoz box, delete vendor file, renamed the Blackberry.alx and LBS.alx to *.old, downloaded the link files to replace the above files and then loaded the software to BB - still removes maps after I install any other software. So basically for me changing these files has not worked. I will now try to learn how to edit them myself.
Old 06-30-2007, 10:22 AM   #27
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdefriez View Post
I downloaded the Rogers software, installed on Windoz box, delete vendor file, renamed the Blackberry.alx and LBS.alx to *.old, downloaded the link files to replace the above files and then loaded the software to BB - still removes maps after I install any other software. So basically for me changing these files has not worked. I will now try to learn how to edit them myself.
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I found an error in the Rogers 8100 4.2.1.94 LBS.alx. Try again with the new one posted. Simply copy the new one over the top of the old one and then run application loader again. You won't *see* anything happening but go all the way through the install until it says Finished.

I will say that the 4.2.1.96 is a better (more stable) OS on the Pearl than 4.2.1.94 or 4.2.1.66. Just my $.02.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:31 PM   #28
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

To clarify my earlier post, I also upgraded from Cingular's OS to the Rogers OS using the edited alx, etc. and everything worked perfectly to unlock vendor themes, etc. BBMaps' icon was always visible, and I could always run the application fine, until I used the app loader... at such time one of the .cod's would be removed by the app loader; that cod being the one that BBMaps uses. I would just install BBMaps again, and all would be fine until the next use of the app loader (where I install or uninstall any other application or component). I got into a routine where any time I used the app loader, I would reinstall BBMaps.

That said, I don't use BBMaps any more but it remains somewhat of a mystery as to why it happens. It doesn't do that with any other app. And although some of the posts by John C. and others do somewhat explain why BBMaps might be disabled or hidden, it wasn't quite the same issue for me and one of the posters above. Or perhaps it is, but what an odd way for RIM to go about it ("removing unrecognized file") if that was the case. I could understand not allowing installation via the browser by querying the BB's OS or something but I'm leaning more towards some other reason why it's happening. Not that I know what that reason is, but...
Old 06-30-2007, 12:35 PM   #29
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Klotar, not sure on that one. The BBMaps icon is only hidden on Cingular branded devices. It doesn't have anything to do with Cingular's OS.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:56 PM   #30
Klotar
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700R
PIN: On Request
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Klotar, not sure on that one. The BBMaps icon is only hidden on Cingular branded devices. It doesn't have anything to do with Cingular's OS.
I do have a Cingular branded device (bought via eBay); so again you may have a point there. It's just... well, bizarre how BBMaps is allowed to be installed, yet gets "auto-uninstalled", hehe. It wouldn't have been so bad if it was a desktop install, as then I'd just make sure I have BBMaps ticked off (checkmarked on) whenever I use the App Loader, but since it's a browser install, it always took that extra step to get it back.

Okay, I'm going to drop the issue, since it's moot for me now; but it's still one of those curious things that has me wondering, so I'll just lurk on this thread.
Old 06-30-2007, 01:03 PM   #31
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Are you using the latest version of Desktop Manager? There is a box at the bottom to check for listing other applications loaded on the device.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:08 PM   #32
tdefriez

Default Yes I am using the latest version on my desktop............

Recently downloaded and installed directly from RIM site not T-Mobile site .......
Old 06-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #33
tdefriez

Default Should add but really not important

I am doing this from Win XP, in VMware Fusion on a Intel Mac - but the does not really matter. PS I am not new to computer, software and PDA's - only to Blackberry
Old 07-14-2007, 01:07 AM   #34
exciter81

Model: 8820

Quote:
It can be easily added back with a simple edit of the LBS.alx file. You can edit it yourself by removing all reference to the vendor ID's in the .alx. Or see this thread and download the LBS.alx already edited and replace yours with the one from this thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/ring...-4-2-only.html
Thank you John! I really appreciate your help. I now have BB Maps & a few more choices of themes.
Old 07-14-2007, 09:08 PM   #35
weegie

Model: 8300
Default Still no icon

I have an 8300 with AT&T and have edited my alx file to remove all vendor id references. Blackberry Maps now shows up as an application on my BB Desktop Manager, and I checked its box to install it to my phone, but the icon never shows up on my phone. When I go into the applications area on my phone, BB Maps is listed, but I cannot figure out how to access it. I tried uninstalling it and then reinstalling it, but it doesn't make any difference.

Can anyone help? Thanks.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:32 PM   #36
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Edit the LBS.alx file and remove all references to vendor ID in there too. There is some code that says to hide the icon on certain devices including AT&T. Edit the code just as you did the Blackberry.alx. If you can't get it then there are pre-edited .alx's in Jibi's edited .alx sticky thread in the Media Center
Old 07-15-2007, 03:57 PM   #37
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
Carrier: *

Also try hitting Menu under the main icon screen on the BB and choose to "Show Hidden". Then if you see the icon just highlight it and Menu/Unhide.
Old 07-15-2007, 03:59 PM   #38
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRSCCivic98 View Post
Also try hitting Menu under the main icon screen on the BB and choose to "Show Hidden". Then if you see the icon just highlight it and Menu/Unhide.
It's not that easy. AT&T purposely hides the icon programatically so that you'll have to purchase TeleNav. We got their number, though! You have to edit LBS.alx file. It's simple to do.

Last edited by John Clark; 07-15-2007 at 04:00 PM..
Old 07-15-2007, 06:08 PM   #39
JRSCCivic98
No longer Registered.

Model: 8830
Carrier: *

Quote:
It's not that easy. AT&T purposely hides the icon programatically so that you'll have to purchase TeleNav. We got their number, though! You have to edit LBS.alx file. It's simple to do.
Yes, I know this because I've seen the remarks in the alx files about disabling the icon for Orange/Cingular Blackberries. I only stated the above because the poster indicated that he did edit all the correct alx yet still couldn't find the icon. I never said it was just "simply hidden". Trust me, in the past month I've looked in every single alx file there is while looking into the Verizon GPS issues.
Old 07-16-2007, 03:20 AM   #40
John Clark
BBF Moderator

He only stated he edited the .alx for vendor themes. He needs to edit the LBS.alx as well. Then he'll have BBMaps.
Closed Thread