Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM   #1
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Slingbox application on a Bold 9700

Please Login to Remove!

Can this work with slingbox where I can watch tv on my 9700??? Anyone tried this? Its either a slingbox or a Flo TV which dont have as much channels

FLO TVxxx153; - Personal Television - Black/Silver - PTV350
Old 06-15-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
sheriff264

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Regarding slingbox, if the software is compatible ... then yes, Slingbox does work. I have
Slingbox software installed on my 9000. Works great !
You will have to go to the Slingbox site to see which BlackBerry phones you can use.
Old 06-15-2010, 10:02 PM   #3
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

ok thanks alot so it has nothing to do with what type service I have correct...I have T Mobile.I know they have two or three different slingbox's which do you have???? Is there anything special I have to have to hook one up??? I have DirectV ????
Old 06-15-2010, 10:17 PM   #4
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Ok I see I need slingbox mobile for 29.99 Yes it supports BB 9700 for T Mobile. What else would I need I see slingbox solo,HD,Pro I see a slingbox catcher just trying to see what I need. I think this would be better than the Flo Tv just because it dont have alot channels and certain areas no service...Dont have that problem with Slingbox

Would I be able to have a guide on my phone to list all the channels like on my DirectV

thanks for the help
Old 06-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #5
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by marionr26 View Post
Ok I see I need slingbox mobile for 29.99 Yes it supports BB 9700 for T Mobile. What else would I need I see slingbox solo,HD,Pro I see a slingbox catcher just trying to see what I need. I think this would be better than the Flo Tv just because it dont have alot channels and certain areas no service...Dont have that problem with Slingbox

Would I be able to have a guide on my phone to list all the channels like on my DirectV

thanks for the help
You need either a Slingbox Solo, HD, Pro, or the older AV or original Slingbox. You will of course need the Slingbox Mobile for Blackberry at the price quoted on SlingMedia's website.

The Slingbox catcher is not what you need in order to send your DirectTV to your Blackberry Bold 9700.

You will be able to see the same guide on your phone as what you see on your DirecTV since the Slingbox is transmitting the signal from your DirectTV box over the internet to your phone or computer.

You will also need a router at home and an internet connection at home.

I use the SlingPlayer Mobile for Blackberry on my Bold 9700 and it works very well over my carrier's 3G network as well as over WiFi. I have both the Slingbox Original (which is no longer sold but you can probably buy it second hand) and the Slingbox Solo at my home which I connect to.

My Tech Blog

Last edited by lmcjipo; 06-16-2010 at 01:30 AM..
Old 06-16-2010, 05:51 AM   #6
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

OK sounds good I have the router and connection. I see where if router and DirectV box is not close to one another can use a wireless link from slingbox too. Mine are all the way across the room. Will it connect with the edge network too just be a little choppy???? I have 3G in most areas but not all......This would be better than Flo TV dont you think
Old 06-16-2010, 07:25 AM   #7
lmcjipo

Quote:
OK sounds good I have the router and connection. I see where if router and DirectV box is not close to one another can use a wireless link from slingbox too. Mine are all the way across the room. Will it connect with the edge network too just be a little choppy???? I have 3G in most areas but not all......This would be better than Flo TV dont you think
Yes, it will connect to the EDGE network but it will be choppy and/or the video quality and sound quality will be very bad. I actually used it on an EDGE phone (PalmOne Treo 680) and then migrated my license to my Bold 9700 (which the company allowed me to do for free... the only time they won't migrate the license from one device to another device is when one of the devices is an iPhone/iPad).

On an EDGE network, I would say that the quality will "stutter" a lot. The video will play and then it will pause for a second or so and then play again and repeat this cycle... it will start to get annoying and I only used it on my EDGE phone when I was extremely bored and put the SlingPlayer Mobile into "Audio only" mode (like when I listened to the 6pm news).

My Tech Blog
Old 06-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #8
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcjipo View Post
Yes, it will connect to the EDGE network but it will be choppy and/or the video quality and sound quality will be very bad. I actually used it on an EDGE phone (PalmOne Treo 680) and then migrated my license to my Bold 9700 (which the company allowed me to do for free... the only time they won't migrate the license from one device to another device is when one of the devices is an iPhone/iPad).

On an EDGE network, I would say that the quality will "stutter" a lot. The video will play and then it will pause for a second or so and then play again and repeat this cycle... it will start to get annoying and I only used it on my EDGE phone when I was extremely bored and put the SlingPlayer Mobile into "Audio only" mode (like when I listened to the 6pm news).
I agree with this. It is so annoying on EDGE that I only use listen mode. With a strong signal and switched to low resolution, it works. But the picture is literally a bit larger than a postage stamp that way. In listen mode, I can drive around and there are very few skips.
Old 06-16-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

So how about with 3G ?????? You suggest the slingbox to use with phone

Would you go with Flo TV over Slingbox is using with phone???? Need to know I kind my gf is trying to decide what to get for me....I told her I was getting info on them
Old 06-17-2010, 02:36 AM   #10
lmcjipo

Quote:
So how about with 3G ?????? You suggest the slingbox to use with phone

Would you go with Flo TV over Slingbox is using with phone???? Need to know I kind my gf is trying to decide what to get for me....I told her I was getting info on them
I don't know anything about Flo TV so I can't really comment about it.

In terms of the quality on 3G with SlingPlayer Mobile on my Blackberry Bold 9700, it will depend on the 3G signal/speed since 3G has a maximum speed of 3.6Mbits/second and it can go anywhere below that speed even with the same carrier.

When I use SlingPlayer on my Bold 9700 over 3G, I find the quality to be quite good. For me, it rarely stutters/pauses over my carrier's 3G network and I like my Slingbox and my SlingPlayer Mobile especially since my Slingbox is connected to my Tivo PVR and I can watch any television program that is recorded on my PVR at anytime. I can also watch live television. Since I have a mega satellite television package with my satellite provider, I get to watch the programs that I normally watch at home when I travel either with my phone or with my laptop. I'm not limited to the 15-30 free channels offered by the hotel... I have my choice of the over 100 channels that I am currently paying for at home.

My Tech Blog
Old 06-17-2010, 05:54 AM   #11
marionr26
Thumbs Must Hurt

Sounds good Im on Tmobile 3G plan. Yes I have Directv with the sports pak added....I love my Directv The Flo Tv has a subscription of 149.99 a yr up front or 14.99 a month....The only thing is my tv and directv HD reciever and my PC and router are across the room not close to one another
Old 06-18-2010, 03:28 PM   #12
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Sounds good Im on Tmobile 3G plan. Yes I have Directv with the sports pak added....I love my Directv The Flo Tv has a subscription of 149.99 a yr up front or 14.99 a month....The only thing is my tv and directv HD reciever and my PC and router are across the room not close to one another
If Flo TV has a monthly subscription, then get a Slingbox. There's no monthly fee for the Slingbox, it just takes whatever input you have and makes it available through the internet. The costs are one time costs for the box and then for the mobile app.

The only issue might be that it feeds whatever is coming from the Directv box, so if someone is watching at home, you can end up changing the channel on them or they can change the channel on you. Flo TV sounds like a completely separate feed.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
UAV Pilot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Another thing to consider is a nice Bluetooth headset. I use the Jabra "Stone", it is compatable with all the 9700's multimedia programs and allows me to look somewhat normal having a one piece/in ear bluetooth device to "listen" for phone calls but in reality I've got my phone holstered and slingbox playing news in my ear most of the day.
Closed Thread