Old 10-06-2006, 10:15 AM   #1
b3n_asian_freak
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: It changes so often....
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Problem occured while installing PocketMac 4.0

Please Login to Remove!

I downloaded Pocketmac from Blackberry support site and tried to install on my Powerbook 10.4. after I clicked no that I don't want to install alias on my desktop, it says that problem occured. Untill I chose no that I don't want install Lotus ,and it won't install the software. Anybody had the same problem? or anybody can help? Thanks
Old 10-08-2006, 09:42 PM   #2
b3n_asian_freak

anybody can help me out here yet?
Old 10-12-2006, 01:28 AM   #3
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t

b3n--

I went through those without any problems. I assume you've tried cleaning everything up and doing it over?
-roccit
Old 10-12-2006, 06:26 AM   #4
b3n_asian_freak

k, let's give it another try
Old 10-12-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
jennemmy

Model: 8700g
Carrier: t-mobile

I have the same problem. I also chose to not install Lotus. Did the reinstall correct your issue? I emailed PocketMac for support 8 days ago and still no response.
Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 PM   #6
b3n_asian_freak

Exclamation I need serious, professional help !!!!! Please !!!!!!

Perhaps I have to describe the problem with more details so experts somewhere in this forum might help me out...:

1. I double clicked to install PocketMac 4.0, typing in administrator password, choosing 'Agree' terms and conditions. Finally, I clicked 'Install' and starting to wait...

2. Until it asked me to create an alias of PocketMac 4.0 on the Desktop, I selected 'OK'

3. Then the error showed up ! (where it was 'Installing DotMacKit')

4. So I selected 'OK' and it went on to the next step until it asked if I want to install Lotus Notes Support, I don't use it so I selected 'NO'.

5. Another problem came, I have no idea this is about.

6. After selecting 'OK', I got to where I started it off so I knew it did not install anything !!!!

Ok, there you go, I described it as detailed as I can. I hope to get some help, please !

Last edited by b3n_asian_freak; 10-23-2006 at 10:57 PM..
Old 10-24-2006, 12:35 AM   #7
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Let's start with the stupid questions
-Have you downloaded another image to make sure you don't have a corrupt one?
-Have you cleaned up your disk permissions?
-Have you emailed PocketMac Support, they're very responsive (just kidding)
-Are other things installing correctly?

-Before you try again you might search for files having anything to do with pocketmac and deleting them.
-Do you maybe have an old copy of PocketMac that, for some strange reason, might be causing problems?

Sorry I don't have any better or more concrete answers for you. You might try searching through Apple Discussions to see about other reasons apps might not install correctly.
good luck
-roccit.
Old 10-24-2006, 06:50 AM   #8
b3n_asian_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccitman
Let's start with the stupid questions
-Have you downloaded another image to make sure you don't have a corrupt one?
-Have you cleaned up your disk permissions?
-Have you emailed PocketMac Support, they're very responsive (just kidding)
-Are other things installing correctly?

-Before you try again you might search for files having anything to do with pocketmac and deleting them.
-Do you maybe have an old copy of PocketMac that, for some strange reason, might be causing problems?

Sorry I don't have any better or more concrete answers for you. You might try searching through Apple Discussions to see about other reasons apps might not install correctly.
good luck
-roccit.
I have downloaded PocketMac at least five different times so..... About other things, I am pretty sure I have tried. I'm waiting for PocketMac support to respond my email.
Old 03-15-2007, 07:47 PM   #9
WesHertlein

I realize this is an old thread, but I had bookmarked it because I was having this same problem back in October, and I have checked periodically to see if there were any updates. Like others in the thread, I e-mailed RIM and PocketMac with no response.

Frankly, I had given up on the issue and moved on. However, I ran into problems installing TaxCut 2006 on my Mac - specifically installing and updating the NY State program. Since I actually needed to do my taxes (and the software was not free), I dug into the problem a bit. Using ktrace and kdump (two command line tools on the Mac - I am not sure if they are there by default or installed with the developer tools), I figured out that TaxCut was making assumptions about the user's home directory being on a case insensitive file system.

Note that the default filesystem on the Mac is case aware but case insensitive - if you create file "foo" and later request file "Foo", you will actually get back "foo". However, in my case, I mount my home directory via NFS off of a server running Debian GNU/Linux, and the filesystem is truly case sensitive. It will happily treat "foo" and "Foo" in the same directory as two completely different files.

Unfortunately, the TaxCut installer relies heavily on the case insensitive behavior. After a few attempts to work through the issue by creating symlinks, I gave up and to created a new user on the default filesystem to install the program (and do my taxes) under that account. Taxes done, I remembered my problems with the PocketMac software, and tried installing under that account.

Lo and behold, the software installed without any problems, and I was able to connect my BlackBerry and sync my contacts. (After I copied my contacts from my normal account to the new one, that is.)

I really cannot fathom someone creating an installer that *requires* a case insensitive filesystem, but apparently both of these companies did. In their defense, I noticed that they both use an installer by MindVision called Vise X - that code might be the underlying issue.

I e-mailed Vise X about the problem tonight. The good folks working support for TaxCut had been attempting to help me through my problem, and at least acknowledged my request for them to file this issue. (Whether or not anything will come of that, I have no idea, but I at least got a response.) Since I did not get a response from PocketMac or RIM to my original support request, I did not bother sending them this additional information.

b3n_asian_freak : Thank you for the extrememly detailed write up. It saved me from having to write the issue up separately when I contacted support. If you are still looking for a solution, hopefully this helps.
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
b3n_asian_freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesHertlein
I realize this is an old thread, but I had bookmarked it because I was having this same problem back in October, and I have checked periodically to see if there were any updates. Like others in the thread, I e-mailed RIM and PocketMac with no response.

Frankly, I had given up on the issue and moved on. However, I ran into problems installing TaxCut 2006 on my Mac - specifically installing and updating the NY State program. Since I actually needed to do my taxes (and the software was not free), I dug into the problem a bit. Using ktrace and kdump (two command line tools on the Mac - I am not sure if they are there by default or installed with the developer tools), I figured out that TaxCut was making assumptions about the user's home directory being on a case insensitive file system.

Note that the default filesystem on the Mac is case aware but case insensitive - if you create file "foo" and later request file "Foo", you will actually get back "foo". However, in my case, I mount my home directory via NFS off of a server running Debian GNU/Linux, and the filesystem is truly case sensitive. It will happily treat "foo" and "Foo" in the same directory as two completely different files.

Unfortunately, the TaxCut installer relies heavily on the case insensitive behavior. After a few attempts to work through the issue by creating symlinks, I gave up and to created a new user on the default filesystem to install the program (and do my taxes) under that account. Taxes done, I remembered my problems with the PocketMac software, and tried installing under that account.

Lo and behold, the software installed without any problems, and I was able to connect my BlackBerry and sync my contacts. (After I copied my contacts from my normal account to the new one, that is.)

I really cannot fathom someone creating an installer that *requires* a case insensitive filesystem, but apparently both of these companies did. In their defense, I noticed that they both use an installer by MindVision called Vise X - that code might be the underlying issue.

I e-mailed Vise X about the problem tonight. The good folks working support for TaxCut had been attempting to help me through my problem, and at least acknowledged my request for them to file this issue. (Whether or not anything will come of that, I have no idea, but I at least got a response.) Since I did not get a response from PocketMac or RIM to my original support request, I did not bother sending them this additional information.

b3n_asian_freak : Thank you for the extrememly detailed write up. It saved me from having to write the issue up separately when I contacted support. If you are still looking for a solution, hopefully this helps.
Hi WesHertlein,
I got an email for an update in this thread, thanks for the suggestion, will look into it tonight, hope it will get up and running. It has been so long and I have given up on that, I sync my BB on my gf's Thinkpad now, but hopefully will get it running on my Powerbook again.
Old 03-16-2007, 12:49 AM   #11
roccitman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Interesting. b3n, let us know!
-roccit
Closed Thread