BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 11:13 PM   #1
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default OS: 9530 4.7.0.203/4.7.0.148 (Multilanguage) (Official VZW)

Please Login to Remove!

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.7.0.203 (Multilanguage)
From Verizon Wireless for the 9530

Package Version: 4.7.0.203
Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.7.0.148
* Software Platform: 4.0.0.181
* File name: 9530AMEA_PBr4.7.0_rel203_PL4.0.0.181_A4.7.0.148_Ve rizon_Wireless
* File size: 109.5MB

Download the OS file from the Verizon site here:
BlackBerry® Software Updates

Or download direct here:
http://appstore.vzw.com.edgesuite.ne...n_Wireless.exe

Instructions for installing either version on ANY carrier's 9530:

1. Download the above OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.
2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

The process takes about 45 minutes to an hour depending on how much data you have to backup and restore during the process. Once it's done loading the new OS it will reboot (it may do this twice during the entire process.) You will see a white screen with an hourglass for up to 20 minutes at a time while the DM says "waiting for initialization."
If, for some reason, you end up with a white screen with small icons and the number 507, simply connect to the PC again and run Loader.exe again and it should load the OS to the device.

For the earlier releases of this OS, see:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

Thanks, ghostshell .

Last edited by JSanders; 06-03-2009 at 11:15 PM..
Old 06-06-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
tlehman

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A

A few days ago, my 9530 prompted me to download and upgrade the OS. I did the download and now it keeps giving me error messages saying that there is not enough free memory to do the upgrade. In the update process, there's a message saying it is deleting old data to get more memory, but then it eventually fails saying I need to delete information to gain more memory. When I look at available memory I get the following:

Application memory: now reads zero. It had been reading like 2 Meg
Device memory: 879MB
Media Card: 7.3 GB

So what now?
Old 06-06-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
MKPanache
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: Storm
PIN: 3052D5A9

I deleted all my emails and texts as well as all of the apps I wasn't using. My upgrade was complete in 20 minutes. HTH
Old 06-06-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
iamajim

I did an OTA update and it said the same thing; I ran quickpull and that freed enough memory to do the trick.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:12 AM   #5
seventysixers1412

Carrier: Telkomsel

is this OS version already stable and final one? or still beta version, need info is it running good
Old 06-08-2009, 07:27 AM   #6
VonnerNIX
Thumbs Must Hurt

It's official. It's Final. It's good. UPGRADE NOW!
Old 06-08-2009, 01:34 PM   #7
shark86x

Model: 9500
Carrier: verizon

I'd wait a while. I upgraded mine and my battery now drains rapidly. Full charge to completely dead within about 4 hours, and nothing is running other than the mobile network. No bluetooth, no GPS, no apps.
Old 06-08-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
rajatdhawan

Hi, I am seeing the same battery drain issue, after i upgraded the OS. I can't seem to figure out whats causing this. If someone finds a solution, please do post.

Thanks
Old 06-08-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
jefwic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Bell

I've seen an improvement with battery life. On .122 I could go 1 day and be down to 30%, now been almost two days on .148 and still at 50%.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
sfmarine

Model: Storm

How's it going everyone? I got the option to upgrade as well. I tried and it said I didn't have enough memory. I'm not sure how that could be. I don't have any songs stored on it. A few pics and apps. Nothing too fancy to take up 8 gigs worth. How can I get this new upgrade on? Should I just follow JSanders howto? Or delete all my text messages and emails and just click continue on my phone. I just don't understand how I do not have enough memory.

Should I backup my blackberry or will it automatically recognize my settings? I'm a noob lol. First upgrade as well. Thanks

Last edited by sfmarine; 06-08-2009 at 08:37 PM..
Old 06-09-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
USA

Carrier: VZW

I loader this late yesterday afternoon. Initially I thought it was draining the battery a little fast. After a few hours I ignored it and went to dinner. I did not plug it in. The next morning I expected to find the battery drained - instead I had about 65% charge left. I'm not sure why others are experiencing poor power usage. Perhaps with heavy usage today I'll experience the same problem.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:24 AM   #12
shark86x

Carrier: verizon

I uninstalled Weatherbug, Opera Mini, GoogleMaps, and Verizon V-Cast. I no longer have the battery drain and the temperature is normal again. I suppose I should have un-installed one at a time to see which one it was, but I think the deal here is a 3rd party app conflict, not the OS running the battery down.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #13
rajatdhawan

Thumbs up

I also deleted Weatherbug last night. The battery drain problem seems to have gone away since it was 85% remaining this morning. Prior to this, the battery would dead in the morning. Also, the battery is doing pretty well during the day today...have made a few calls and some emails, and its about 80% remaining. So, maybe its Weatherbug interaction with the new OS, or the software update just took these couple of days to "settle" down? I did change another setting earlier yesterday evening too (network technology to 1xEV, from Global). I'm not sure what change exactly did it, but the battery performance looks good now.

Thanks
Old 06-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #14
hawkeye7

I was also experiencing a sudden quick battery drain after the upgrade to .148. I followed this problem in a couple discussion threads. Seems pretty random, some have the problem and others didn't. This was a very real problem on my phone. Reading all the other threads, the pattern seemed to be around a few apps. I removed the follow apps and the battery life is back to normal:
Weatherbug (I believe this is the main culprit)
Vcast
Poynt

My battery was draining fully after only 8 hours, and now it's been 12 hours and I'm still at 80% charge. Other then this battery issue, the .148 upgrade has been a big improvement on my phone.

Thanks to all for the helpful analysis and problem solving!
Old 06-15-2009, 10:16 PM   #15
doe420

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

If you have weather bug installed make sure you reset your location after the software update that's usually what cause the battery drain
Old 06-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #16
sc6804

Model: 9630
Carrier: 9630 on VZW, + 8800 on TMO

Since upgrading, I have had an issue with my music randomly not starting in the Media Player. It appears as if it's playing but I need to pause/stop and start the track manually. I reformatted the media card using the Blackberry's format option and loaded fresh music and still have the issue.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:04 PM   #17
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob

.148, although it is a great improvement over the original .75 OS that verizon offered the phone with, is still buggy (at least on my phone)....

so i hopped over to blackberry OS . com and decided to try another hybrid OS for the 9530. i chose to use BBcrackman's Hybrid v7 (with .148)....

let me just say this hybrid OS is leaps and bounds better than .148, faster browser (than .148) as well as improved stability of the phone overall and all my 3rd parties work fine. although i read that this build doesn't play well with themes other than the one that comes with .148 (Precision).

running for 24 hrs with a single battery pull, so far all is good....
Old 06-22-2009, 01:44 PM   #18
Woolaway

Upgraded from .75 to 203/.148 4 days ago.

It fixed Auto On/Off (with .75 connection auto on would turn on device but not wireless connection.)

For bluetooth with GMC Acadia, .75 kept losing connection. .148 allowed me to set trust to Yes which I didn't see on .75. Bluetooth with Acadia is now great.

Have not run into any problems.

Have one enhancement I would love to see: In landscape version of keyboard, bottom left and right corners have space for an additional key. Put in to these empty spaces left and right cursor movement arrows. When typing fast on a storm, you are bound to get some wrong keys pressed. I've tried dragging cursor with my finger to edit mistakes, but most times it doesn't work well. Arrow keys would be so much easier for user!
Old 06-23-2009, 04:43 PM   #19
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

I am trying to help my son with his Storm. I have been using BlackBerry devices for years now, but always with AT&T... the possible pitfalls from not knowing Verizon 'way of thinking' has me somewhat concerned.

Is there any functional difference between how to install an upgrade on a CDMA device vs a GSM device?

Here's my plan for his upgrade:
  1. Back up his phone.
  2. Download the latest OS.
  3. Run CRACKMEM to remove all of the unnecessary 'stuff'. (Q: what can/cannot be removed from a VZW phone? VVM? VZNavigator? other?)
  4. Run LOADER.EXE
  5. Uncheck more unnecessary software. Anything here to watch out for?
  6. Unstall the upgrade complete with app/data restore.
  7. Send him on his way.
I want to make sure this goes well... it's his first BlackBerry, and he is somewhat frustrated by lack of memory issues, clocking, etc. But part of that is self-inflicted. He had downloaded a bunch of apps initially which used almost all of his memory... and I have helped him clean that up for now...

Thanks in advance for the answers...
Old 06-24-2009, 03:33 PM   #20
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Good plan of action 1-7

No real difference.

Yes, you can remove the VZ Nav application if you don't want it. I have used it and now have it not loaded. There's really no need to run crackmem, I don't remove any cods first like that, just uncheck a few languages and VZ Nav during the loader process.
Closed Thread