BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2006, 01:08 PM   #1
floodcasso2

Model: 8100
Default RambleIM and Opera Mini non-functional on Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

Hey how are you everyone? I have a problem with RambleIM and Opera on my new Pearl using T-mobile.

I have full bars of service and my phone shows EDGE (all caps) on the screen so i know my data functions are working. Yes, I have a blackberry data plan with t-mobile.

I have set my TCP to be wap.voicestream.com with no username and password, and under some advice i also tried putting my phone number and my my-tmobile password in also. Neither do the job and niether RambleIM or Opera will work. However, Google maps functions perfectly. Im currently using the OEM T-mobile OS on it, does this have any bearing? I have also tried setting the security permissions on both programs to "allow all" can anyone advise what I should do? I dont want to be using up my text messages using the built in IM client. HELP!
Old 11-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #2
mrpg
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile

I find that sometimes the TCP settings dont take and I have to power cycle my Pearl.

But it should deff be wap.voicestream.com with no user/passwd.
Old 11-01-2006, 01:26 PM   #3
floodcasso2

thanks for the advice! tried power cycling the phone, no go. Then tried pulling the battery for 30 seconds, also no go. I am totally stumped.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:27 AM   #4
rdkl24
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700
Carrier: Cingular

i have the same problem. I have tried all of the suggestions I have seen on this forum and no go.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
KeithJ
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Tmobile

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the programs?
Have you called Customer Support? I'm not sure how they deal with 3rd party software but they may be able to help.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:34 PM   #6
rdkl24

I have installed, reinstalled, etc. I am in the process of upgrading to the o2 software right now for other reasons so we'll see if this fixes it.
Old 11-02-2006, 01:59 PM   #7
Darksmurf

Carrier: T-MO

Wirelessly posted (Opera/8.01 (J2ME/MIDP; Opera Mini/3.0.5849/1422; en; U; ssr))

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdkl24
i have the same problem. I have tried all of the suggestions I have seen on this forum and no go.
Interesting. Opera mini worked right out of the box for me, however I did have to configure Ramble to use the 'device tcp' connection setting. This can be found under options-->Ramble IM-->network connection or something like that. Its worth a try to see if that at least helps you get Ramble working. I too am on the original T-Mo OS.

Pete
Old 11-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #8
rdkl24

Still doesnt work after the OS update. I guess its time to talk to Tmobile and see if my account is not set up right. Strangely enough, everything else I have used thus far works fine.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:46 PM   #9
JinFocker

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Same problem over here! Opera mini and Ramble was working fine. I downloaded bbtoday and it was super buggy. I kept on using it. As of today, I went to update bbtodaty to check my stocks and I had an open tunnel failure. Then, I tried to access ramble and opera mini, NOTHING.

My settings are correct tcp= wap.voicestream.com

What could it be?
Old 11-02-2006, 04:56 PM   #10
JinFocker

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

fixed my own issue. I just took out the battery for 30 seconds. Im not sure what is wrong, but everything is working again.
Old 11-03-2006, 04:52 PM   #11
rdkl24

Sweet!

I am running IM+ trial right now. I dont like it because of the notification issues, but I do have it connected via TCP and its working ok. Tmobile has something weird going on.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:42 PM   #12
paulmac

Model: Storm
PIN: Ask
Carrier: Verizon

put me in the me too category for this. That is I cannot get either Ramble or Yak on to work on the 8100. But if I get a chance I will re-load Yak-on and capture the log file from it and fire it off to them. Maybe they will offer some help. They are pretty good, let you know if I find anything out.

Last edited by paulmac; 11-03-2006 at 06:44 PM..
Old 11-03-2006, 08:35 PM   #13
alslsb

Model: Class
PIN: erest
Default I Had the same problem, but got it to work

In order for the TCP settings to work, you have to ensure you have t-zones enabled on your phone. It is free and you an have it turned on by T-Mobile. Once that is done, you can put in the TCP settings and reregister your device on the network.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 PM   #14
rdkl24

I called Tmobile and they said I already had "web access" but that I was provisioned wrong. They supposedly corrected those issues but it still doesnt work for me. I just switched from a verizon blackberry and everything worked fine over there. I wish Tmobile could get this figured out..
Old 11-04-2006, 12:13 AM   #15
paulmac

OK below is a response I got from SoftCentral (Yak-ON) when I sent them the log from my 8100

I see the following error:
a Yak-On - Could not connect to softcentral.com Open tunnel - failure - 11/3 06:48:31
This means the networking layer returned an error of unable to connect to the APN tunnel. This is required in order to do TCP networking from third party applications like Yak On. You say T-mobile, are your APN settings:
APN: wap.voicestream.comUsername for APN: Password for APN:
(Both username and password are blank).
If the settings are correct, you'll need to contact T-mobile and have them verify that the data plan is properly setup for your phone. Even though internal apps may work (Browsing, BB messenger, Email), external apps like Yak On require that T-mobile properly configure your account for APN access.
Thanks,Brian

Verified my APN settings, they are correct. Called T-Mobile, they also verified that my APN settings are correct. They even removed WAP from my data service and put it back. Had me re-boot my device while they re-sent me my service books, still nothing.

At this point I have got to believe that the code written for applications like Yak-on, Ramble, etc is not 100% compatable with the OS on the 8100. Only thing that makes sense to me at this point. Unless someone else has any other ideas.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:16 AM   #16
rdkl24

I had the same experience. my last call I went through several layers of Tmobile and was then transferred to RIM who also couldnt figure it out.

We went through all of the same removing and adding features, reprovisioning, resending service books, rebooting, etc.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:29 AM   #17
floodcasso2

well at least i know im not the only one now. The question is, if more or less all of the pearls from t-mobile are the same, why do some work and some dont? Its all very strange.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:32 AM   #18
rdkl24

Also, I went ahead and upgraded my OS to the o2 software to see if that helped and it dod not so i am fairly certain it is an acct setting but they either dont know or dont care.

Also, I am having this isse on both my Pearl and my wife's. I have the BES plan and hers is just BIS so there is not much more I can do rule things out on my end.

Sadly, I tried IM+ thinking I would just buy it and be done with it. Unfortunately, notifications dont seem to work right in that software. If I dont hear the msg come in I wont know its there till I open the app later. This whole thing is very frustrating :(
Old 11-04-2006, 12:46 AM   #19
paulmac

An additional reply from Brian at Soft Central when I pointed out that others besides myself are having problems with Yak-on and Ramble that it might be the code or the device OS.

I'll build Yak On in the new dev environment tonight and we'll try that. What's odd is that error comes from the os, below the application layer ,but it never hurts to eliminate a possibility. My suspicion is that T-mobile has a broken config and haven't pinpointed it yet.

Said he would keep me posted. Let you know if he finds anything.
Old 11-05-2006, 12:27 PM   #20
mzaborskis

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T

...I have a the pearl myself...and the the ramble just doesn't seem capable....tmobile, couldn't offer any additional help...

perhaps this is an isse for sra...with a new release?
Closed Thread