BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 10:06 PM   #1
pjotrmarkov

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Encryption? RIM Blackberry? You gotta be kidding me!

Please Login to Remove!

Hello.

My screen died on my phone, so i got a replacement from T-mobile. I've transfered all the data to the new phone and when inserted the media card into new phone i got message that the data is encrypted on the card and won't be readable by this device. Only by the old one. After looking through the forums and manuals i realized that all i had to do is to disable the encryption on the old phone and then copy the encrypted files using Media Manager and make them readable. The only question which is still bothering me...HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO TURN OFF ENCRYPTION WITHOUT THE WORKING SCREEN ON THE PHONE???!!!
I've spend half a day trying to find the solution. All i could find out is that i am stuck now with the data i badly need decrypted. Any program from Blackberry suite doesn't recognize the .rem files in any way. It's like a piece of junk to the RIM phone. It doesn't see the files as it's own creation! No messages stating that "Sorry. Those are the encrypted files. You need the original phone to read them" from any of the RIM software. Main question is:
Why, for Gods sake, there is no decryption software included anywhere? As i understand, in this situation my old phone is the key. I've got the damn key, why can't i open the data i need? What am i supposed to do? How RIM came up with such a stupid encryption/decryption procedure? Please help. I am desperate, because i just can't understand how such a big company with so many years in business can make my life so complicated, when it is supposed to make the opposite. The phones didn't come out a month ago. Am i only one with the problem? I will never believe it.
Old 04-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #2
Soapm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: TMO

Does the old phone still boot? If so, boot it up then connect it to a computer to see if you can copy the files to the computer.
Old 04-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #3
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

So what would be the point of encrypting your data if all you had to do was stick the memory card in a different device? No security there, for sure.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:24 AM   #4
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjotrmarkov View Post
Hello.

My screen died on my phone, so i got a replacement from T-mobile. I've transfered all the data to the new phone and when inserted the media card into new phone i got message that the data is encrypted on the card and won't be readable by this device. Only by the old one. After looking through the forums and manuals i realized that all i had to do is to disable the encryption on the old phone and then copy the encrypted files using Media Manager and make them readable. The only question which is still bothering me...HOW THE HELL AM I SUPPOSED TO TURN OFF ENCRYPTION WITHOUT THE WORKING SCREEN ON THE PHONE???!!!
I've spend half a day trying to find the solution. All i could find out is that i am stuck now with the data i badly need decrypted. Any program from Blackberry suite doesn't recognize the .rem files in any way. It's like a piece of junk to the RIM phone. It doesn't see the files as it's own creation! No messages stating that "Sorry. Those are the encrypted files. You need the original phone to read them" from any of the RIM software. Main question is:
Why, for Gods sake, there is no decryption software included anywhere? As i understand, in this situation my old phone is the key. I've got the damn key, why can't i open the data i need? What am i supposed to do? How RIM came up with such a stupid encryption/decryption procedure? Please help. I am desperate, because i just can't understand how such a big company with so many years in business can make my life so complicated, when it is supposed to make the opposite. The phones didn't come out a month ago. Am i only one with the problem? I will never believe it.
Two possible solutions I can think of.

If your old phone works other than the screen being out, then try using the "screenshot" capability of JL_Cmder. Take screen shots while you are starting up and getting into options and you may be able to change the settings. I do not think you can actually use media manager and have them decrypt even if you turn the encryption off. It you're lucky that will work but I think you have to manually send them from that phone via email or bluetooth, or copy them on the sd card. It will be tedious this way, but you have a shot.

Get JL_cmder here: How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

2nd possilbity:
This is stuff I found through info here and by accident. Deals with the same phone, not a different one, so may not work. But will be easier if it does.

If the files are only password protected, and not device protected, then you may be able to set the same password on the new device and have it work. Really important is there's a "info.mkf" file in the hidden "system" folder on the sd card. That has to be the one made on the old phone.

But copy that "info.mkf" file in that hidden folder off that card before you do anything. If you turn on the encryption setting on the new phone, it will change that file. And if that file changes, I'm not sure you can ever do anything with those old encrypted files. That file seems to be some kind of encryption key. You should actually copy the entire contents off the card to your PC before doing anything and not through media manager, but straight via mass storage mode. Even better with the sd card in a usb reader. Then you at least have a backup copy and can try again.

I'm not sure if you can just set the same password and have it work with a different phone, but I had some old files encrypted with a different password on an sd card. When I put the card in my phone I was able to open those files even though the password was different since I had that old info.mkf on the sd card. It asked for the old password and when I entered it, the files were accessible.

But when I tried opening some other files that were encrypted with the same password as I was using, they would not open. What happened was I had those files and assumed if I set the same password they would open. It created a new info.mkf file, but although it was the same password, it wasn't the same info.mkf file created. They key is having that "info.mkf" file.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:31 AM   #5
BB-Tech support
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9790
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Hello.

Files once encrypted on specific blackberry device will be viewable only on that device
each blackberry device generate own encryption.
Why did you put encryption on 1st place

All data on Blackberry are encrypted once they leave blackberry
your, email, pin messages, sms messages etc etc

for now on
TURN OFF ENCRYPTION in media card
Old 04-29-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
pjotrmarkov

Carrier: T-Mobile

I used the Jl Cmder for screenshots to navigate the phone as monkeypaw said. Thanks for that. The encryption wasn't enabled there. And i don't remember ever enabling it. I've got no idea what the hell is going on, but my old phone doesn't see the data also now.
Old 04-29-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
monkeypaw

Quote:
I used the Jl Cmder for screenshots to navigate the phone as monkeypaw said. Thanks for that. The encryption wasn't enabled there. And i don't remember ever enabling it. I've got no idea what the hell is going on, but my old phone doesn't see the data also now.
If the files have a .rem extension, encryption was turned on at some point. If you're not aware of any password that was associated with them and the old phone does not open them, I can't see how you'll ever get them open.
Old 04-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
Raptor464
Kid Tested. Mom Approved.

PIN: eapple under the sea
Carrier: T-mobile USA

doesnt the roxio media manager have the ability to open encrypted files on a BB?
Old 04-29-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
monkeypaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor464 View Post
doesnt the roxio media manager have the ability to open encrypted files on a BB?
People have claimed this in the past. So I tried it out and it didn't work. I believe Roxio doesn't even show the files with .rem extensions by default.

If anyone has actually been able to do this, I wish they'd say under what circumstances it did work. But people who have claimed this have gone hiding after their posts.
Closed Thread