BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2006, 11:45 AM   #1
Danny_Larouche
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: n/a
Posts: 38
Default BES consultants

Please Login to Remove!

It's amazing to see that most administrators are having problem with BES during the installation. First it is unacceptable and abnormal situation and we don't have any control on it. My client ask me for this stuff and i have to install it. I am currently trying to have BES running at a client`s site and receive other request from other future "happy" owners not aware of the nightmare BES is.

Then i would like to create a BES admin team composed of people who have "sucessful" experience with this software and willing to work on some projects. If you are insterested, give me your company name , your name, brief experience, location, phone and rate.

Danny Larouche
Offline  
Old 01-26-2006, 04:46 PM   #2
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 374
Default

Installing a BES is not a Nightmare, the only problem is that most people don't prepare before installation and don't follow the instructions.
Installation is not so much work, but to have all people in one line.

You need to know who is responsable for:
Firewall
Mail
Network
Database (with MS SQL)
Server software

Also don't forget security officers.

Make a checklist.

I am from The Netherlands so I don't think you are looking for me

Regards,
Bob
Offline  
Old 01-26-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
Danny_Larouche
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: n/a
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryLinks
Installing a BES is not a Nightmare, the only problem is that most people don't prepare before installation and don't follow the instructions.
Installation is not so much work, but to have all people in one line.
Sorry if i disagree, most posts seen in this forum concern basic functionalities such as database connection, handheld activation and sync problems that fail right after a fresh installation!!!

Generally, people who install BES and similar software knows that a checklist and a good planning is a must. I am pretty sure that most of us have several years on experience on several networks. When the same problems occures so many times and concern basic BES functionalities, developpers should take care of the installation script and the documentation that lack of important information.

I am not located in your country, but others admins may be interested in your help whenever they have huge deployment. I often work with other administrators worldwide.
Offline  
Old 01-27-2006, 05:01 PM   #4
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NYC
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.546
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 2,344
Default

I think it also depends on the place you are working at. I'm at a fairly active place and BlackBerry is a big thing here so I spend a decent amount of time doing research/support on it.
Offline  
Old 01-28-2006, 03:08 AM   #5
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Larouche
Sorry if i disagree, most posts seen in this forum concern basic functionalities such as database connection, handheld activation and sync problems that fail right after a fresh installation!!!

Generally, people who install BES and similar software knows that a checklist and a good planning is a must. I am pretty sure that most of us have several years on experience on several networks. When the same problems occures so many times and concern basic BES functionalities, developpers should take care of the installation script and the documentation that lack of important information.

I am not located in your country, but others admins may be interested in your help whenever they have huge deployment. I often work with other administrators worldwide.
For installation we send a checklist to customers and ask them to fill in and send it back. Sometimes they doesn't send it back or they fill it in, but it is not true.

What you not see in a forum is the many installations without any problem.

Did you ever did an BES installation, or read the manual(s)?

Regards,
Bob
Offline  
Old 01-31-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
Danny_Larouche
Knows Where the Search Button Is
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Model: n/a
Posts: 38
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBerryLinks
For installation we send a checklist to customers and ask them to fill in and send it back. Sometimes they doesn't send it back or they fill it in, but it is not true.
Bob
I always personnaly verify the checklist before a deployment. IMHO Asking a non-tech customers to do that isn't a good idea!!
Offline  
Old 01-31-2006, 03:55 PM   #7
FlemmingRiis
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Denmark
Model: 7230
Carrier: TDC
Posts: 102
Default

-It's amazing to see that most administrators are having problem with BES during the installation.

not to sound like a ass but if a admin have problems with a basic BES install there is something seriously wrong.

Apart from their installer being of generally poor quality its kinda hard to break anything under install.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2006, 04:00 PM   #8
juwaack68
iPhone Convert
 
juwaack68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Tulip City - MI
Model: iP5
OS: 6.0.2
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not
Posts: 13,878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlemmingRiis
Apart from their installer being of generally poor quality its kinda hard to break anything under install.
I agree. The hardest part to a BES install is the cramp my finger gets from clicking Next.
Offline  
Old 01-31-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
Stu_Bee
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Model: 7520
Carrier: Nextel
Posts: 75
Default

Your not going to find a lot of people on a forum saying:
"everything is working fine here today"

What you normally find is people posting their issues they are encountering. What percentage of the entire blackberry admin population that encompasses, is unknown, probably small.

On our part, we installed a Bes environment in one weekend with basically little to no prior experience.

From my point of view I'd say that setting up Blackberry environment is pretty simple...it's the day to day troubleshooting of individuals issues that is difficult. BB needs some kinda app on the handheld that a user can launch and it will tell them where specfically the issue is occuring (ie Handheld, Carrier, BB Server, RIM).
Offline  
Old 01-31-2006, 04:46 PM   #10
murpheous
CrackBerry Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Boston, MA
Model: 9800
OS: 6.0.0.246
Carrier: AT&T
Posts: 852
Default

everything is working fine here today
__________________
-Chris
Domino 7.0.3/BES 4.1.6 on w2k3 sp2
Offline  
Old 01-31-2006, 05:00 PM   #11
BlackBerryLinks
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands
Model: 8800
Carrier: Vodafone
Posts: 374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Larouche
It's amazing to see that most administrators are having problem with BES during the installation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Larouche
I always personnaly verify the checklist before a deployment. IMHO Asking a non-tech customers to do that isn't a good idea!!
We also verify otherwise we can not install.
Most administrators are tech, not non-tech. Yes you need some background to install a BES, like for every server software.

Regards,
Bob
Offline  
Old 02-01-2006, 03:48 AM   #12
BBAdmin
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
BBAdmin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Port 3101.org
Model: .
Carrier: .
Posts: 2,491
Default

It's like anything new, you need to invest time in research to have a good understanding of it - especially when it's a product used by a lot of mobile users and those all important CEO's that simply can't live without it when it does go wrong. The thing with installations is not the install itself, it's the pre-installation checklist in the RIM manual, and ensuring all your permissions for your BESAdmin account, your services packs, your CDO patches, etc are all humming before you install.

If you want to drive a car, you gotta learn first!!!!
__________________

Offline  
Old 02-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #13
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt
 
BaronVonBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SW Florida
Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 103
Default

Everything is working fine here today!

Well....except for that one user who wouldn't follow directions. And the guy who dropped his 7520 into a lake...and the CEO's new Cingular 7100 which is generating SIM errors...and the 4 people who asked me about how long it will be until RIM shuts down!
__________________
(This space intentionally left blank to conserve bandwidth)
Offline  
Old 02-01-2006, 04:18 PM   #14
KonTiki
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
KonTiki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ, USA
Model: 9650
OS: 6.0.0.524
PIN: 007
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 2,762
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronVonBB
Everything is working fine here today!

Well....except for that one user who wouldn't follow directions. And the guy who dropped his 7520 into a lake...and the CEO's new Cingular 7100 which is generating SIM errors...and the 4 people who asked me about how long it will be until RIM shuts down!
Baron sounds like you are having as good a day as I am here, my boss is away in Europe at the moment and had been for three days and calls every twenty minutes to see if everything is alright, so on his last call, I simply told him that everything was finally under control,of course with panic in his voice he asked"What the heck happened?", and I simply responded that nothing much after the fire.

He hasnt called back, now the only bad thing about this is that its either because he got the point or because he got on the next plane back in which case I am toast tomorrow morning.
__________________
BB Tour 9650


Running OS 6.0.0.524
Offline  
Old 02-01-2006, 05:07 PM   #15
dev
CrackBerry Addict
 
dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Toronto
Model: 8800
Carrier: Rogers
Posts: 571
Default

What you did there KonTiki is called a "rege"....Résumé Generating Event"...had a couple of those awhile back
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


AD9226 Analog to Digital ADC Module Signal Acquisition Conversion 65MSPS 10Vpp picture

AD9226 Analog to Digital ADC Module Signal Acquisition Conversion 65MSPS 10Vpp

$24.22



NEW NO BOX- Analog Devices AIM03 Computer Module || Fast Shipped🇺🇸Warranty picture

NEW NO BOX- Analog Devices AIM03 Computer Module || Fast Shipped🇺🇸Warranty

$150.00



Andrea Anti Noise Analog Computer Headphones NC-91 picture

Andrea Anti Noise Analog Computer Headphones NC-91

$16.50



CWT COMPUTER WELD TECHNOLOGY DART DIGITAL ANALOG REMOTE TRANSDUCER A3A0207 I8 picture

CWT COMPUTER WELD TECHNOLOGY DART DIGITAL ANALOG REMOTE TRANSDUCER A3A0207 I8

$99.94



Cylindrical Compact Slide Rule Analog Calculator Math 3D Printed PICK COLOR picture

Cylindrical Compact Slide Rule Analog Calculator Math 3D Printed PICK COLOR

$26.99



RTP / Computer Products Analog / Digital Circuit Board 140-0351-000H - WARRANTY picture

RTP / Computer Products Analog / Digital Circuit Board 140-0351-000H - WARRANTY

$199.00







Copyright © 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM © and BlackBerry © are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.