BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 12:39 PM   #1
Danny_Larouche
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: n/a
Default BES installation - cannot connect to database

Please Login to Remove!

BES has been installed yesterday on our server with Exchange2000 and MSDE. MSDE has been installed with BES. I got "cannot connect to database" when starting the BES manager.

I did a lot of troubleshooting tests. I am able to manually connect to MSDE in both auth mode and see the database. The configuration "sql test" run sucessfully.

I found one way to make it work.... when i start manager with "run as" using besadmin account and using SQL auth mode using the sa account. When manager is start using "administrator" account fail all the way.

I see in previous post that even if not mentioned in BES installation guide, BES should be installed using its besadmin account, isn,t it? I was logged as "administrator" when it has been isntalled. Then all related services are running as "administrator". Should i modify theses services to load as besadmin account?

Any idea of what i should do to avoid other possible problem?

Any idea?
Old 01-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #2
BaronVonBB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Definitely, all of the BES Services need to be configured to run as the BES Admin account with proper permissions. I believe that simply changing them through the Services applet should rectify that problem, and I am not aware of any other issues that might arise when doing the install as the local administrator account.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:59 PM   #3
easy-v
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: None
Carrier: None

Er...you shouldn't have a privileged account running the BES service. If you do, this *WILL* cause problems.

Also, I do believe you need to install BES under the non-privileged BES account. However, I may be wrong on the install account, so you may want to refer to the BES install guide, which I beleive does specify which account you can install under.

The service, *DEFINITELY* cannot be admin
Old 01-13-2006, 02:14 PM   #4
Danny_Larouche

The installation guide doesnt specify any account to be used during installation. This cause a lot of confusion as i read in several similar posts. In fact it appear that i am not the first who log on as administrator to install the BES causing the problem.

Full access right has been added for besadmin account to BES software directory. Since then, i am able to start the manager and load database.
Old 01-13-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
Danny_Larouche

The services has been modified to run as "besadmin" account. Most of them started except 3 process "sync, dispatcher and policy"

It appear that even though BES config`s SQL settings are set to SQL auth. mode, some process (the ones above) still use the intregrated auth. Further tests did point me in a new direction.

Under "administrator" accounr, osql -E connect corrrectly. However, it fail when i am logged as "besadmin".

Why other account fail to connect and how to give privilige to this account?

Last edited by Danny_Larouche; 01-13-2006 at 03:52 PM..
Old 01-13-2006, 04:35 PM   #6
Danny_Larouche

Update:

Finally issue a "sp_grantlogin 'domain\besadmin'" in my osql session and it work. Database issue is fixed.

However the dispatcher service seem to need priviliged account in order to start. Then i rollback to "administrator" for this one. Uppon statup, other 2 services accept to start with besadmin account (policy service and synchronization service).

The connection is established with the srp and everything seem ok. What is the effect of having dispatcher service running as "administrator" while others are launched as "besadmin" ?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:23 PM   #7
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

The Dispatcher should not require a different login. You granted Login but it doesn't look like you granted BESAdmin DBOwner on the Database. You may want to look at that again.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:39 PM   #8
Danny_Larouche

Yes effectively i was not aware that i have to manually grant access to the database after granting login access to SQL server. Now the dispatcher is running as besadmin as others services. I will do a reboot to see if all restart normally.

Could you tell me if having Exchange2000 running in "mixed mode" instead of native mode may cause problem with BES 4,0?

Thank you for your help,

Danny
Old 01-13-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
Danny_Larouche

The only thing, i got strange informational event from some service:

Apparently, everything else is running

Event ID 35001

<<
The description for Event ID ( 35001 ) in Source ( BlackBerry Mobile Data Service ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following information is part of the event: <2006-01-13 17:44:20.877 EST>:[12]:<MDS_XCHANGE>:<EVENT>:<LAYER = SCM, EVENT = MDS has started>
>>
Old 01-14-2006, 07:59 PM   #10
BBTechGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 7100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Larouche
Yes effectively i was not aware that i have to manually grant access to the database after granting login access to SQL server. Now the dispatcher is running as besadmin as others services. I will do a reboot to see if all restart normally.

Could you tell me if having Exchange2000 running in "mixed mode" instead of native mode may cause problem with BES 4,0?

Thank you for your help,

Danny
No problems with that.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #11
BigOrangeSU

Model: 8530
Carrier: verizon

I had a problem using the BES Full install to upgrade the database. It wouldnt access it, even after I had the premissions set correctly. I manually migrated the database using the tools in the Database Folder, then installed the server upgrade and all is well
Old 01-16-2006, 10:36 AM   #12
Danny_Larouche

Bigorangesu: Did you tried to modify the DB`s owner instead of just granting access? I am just currious to know if it may do any difference when doing db upgrade or some transaction.
Closed Thread