Old 07-10-2009, 12:41 PM   #1
robhermans

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: none
Default Blackberry Development

Please Login to Remove!

Hi:
I have been writing in Visual Studio for a while and writing apps for WM5 PDAs. I am intrigued by the BB and think there is a market for BB developers, administrators etc. I'd like to get started. I have read that the emulators are just ok - that you need a real Blackberry ... budget is a little limited - I can buy an unlocked 8700 for $150 versus $350 from my carrier for the latest and greatest. My questions therefore:

1). Will the 8700 serve as a development base?
2). What's the best way to get started in BB development
3). Should I set up a windows server and get into BES?
4). Any other helpful thoughts would be appreciated!

Many Thanks
Rob Hermans
Philly
Old 07-10-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
pfowler
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

It's tough to say where to start but here are a few thoughts late on a Friday afternoon:
1. I'm assuming you're talking about Java Development. Do you know Java? Check out This Link at RIM for your options.
2. Simulator development isn't great, but it's not unusable either. If you're just starting out, it lets you get your feet wet without having to lay out any capital.
3. Once you know what you're getting into, get the Signing Keys from RIM ($99) and a device.
4. Getting a BES is something that depends on the investment you're putting in as well as what type of apps you're developing. Avoid it if you can

Enjoy,
Pat
Old 07-10-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
Dougsg38p
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

Signing keys are $20.

BlackBerry - Java Code Signing Keys
Old 07-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
pfowler

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I'd forgotten that they had lowered the price. They were $100 a year and a half ago
Old 07-11-2009, 12:11 PM   #5
robhermans

Model: none
Carrier: none
Thumbs up Thanks Pat

Thanks for the help Pat - I'll be back !!
Cheers
Rob
Old 07-13-2009, 07:49 PM   #6
chrisbc

Model: 9700
Carrier: Telus

In my experience the 8700 is a poor development base. Many of the 8700s out there have old OSes (4.1) so a some APIs are not available. You may not be able to compile some of the more interesting code sample out there.

Also, the trackwheel is no longer in use and the trackball changes things a bit, from a development perspective and otherwise.

If you can get a more recent device (Curve, Bold, etc.) I would go for that instead. Well worth the money imo.