BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
MrH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Rogers Wireless
Default Is there a way to get Rogers Talkspot (UMA) while roaming?

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all,

I've got an 8900 with the 1GB BES service and the Rogers Talkspot (UMA) service. I'm in Europe at the moment and cannot get a UMA connection when on Wifi (including when I am sending data over Wifi based on the Wifi icon lighting up).

I figure there are only four possibilities:

1) UMA settings are stored in service books and Rogers will not send down the UMA service books to roaming devices

2) The local carrier will not send down UMA service books to a foreign device (or they don't offer UMA)

3) Rogers is blocking non-Canadian IP addresses, or IP addresses which are not registered to Canadian ISPs

4) The 8900 has a setting to not make the UMA connection when not on the home provider

Does anyone have any links explaining how UMA connections are setup? Does anyone have any ideas why I cannot connect over UMA while roaming?

What I'd like to do is connect over UMA from the locations I'll be staying while outside of Canada so that I can make the calls I need to make back home without paying $2.50CAD/min for roaming.

Any help or insight would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

M@
Old 05-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #2
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Keep in mind that I haven't done what you're doing before. But I seem to remember that you should have a local network (prepaid) SIM in your phone in order to use UMA in foreign coutries. Then you just pay for the card and the minutes come off your Rogers plan.
Old 05-19-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
morfy50
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Rogers does not support Talkspot UMA outside of Canada, you'll be billed normal long distance. I called them about this not too long ago when traveling to the US.

Maybe Tmobile has a different policy.
Old 05-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #4
MrH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfy50 View Post
Rogers does not support Talkspot UMA outside of Canada, you'll be billed normal long distance. I called them about this not too long ago when traveling to the US.

Maybe Tmobile has a different policy.
Yeah, I know Rogers has that 'official' policy. I'm curious what they do to prevent you from using it. Of course UMA must be the bane of a wireless carrier hoping to cash in on some fat roaming charges.

Anyone have a link to or know how UMA works on a lower level other than the IPsec tunnel from the device to carrier and then voice traffic through it?

M@
Old 05-19-2009, 08:30 PM   #5
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

I remember a dude who used it all over Europe by putting a prepaid SIM from Europe into his BB. He said as long as he was on wifi he was good on UMA and the minutes just came off of his plan. What I don't remember is whether he was Rogers or Tmob, but it was posted on this forum maybe 4 months ago. I'm pretty sure it was the 8900 forum because that's the only one I visit often, but I have used the Bold and 8100 forums too at times.
Old 05-20-2009, 01:00 PM   #6
MrH
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
I remember a dude who used it all over Europe by putting a prepaid SIM from Europe into his BB. He said as long as he was on wifi he was good on UMA and the minutes just came off of his plan. What I don't remember is whether he was Rogers or Tmob, but it was posted on this forum maybe 4 months ago. I'm pretty sure it was the 8900 forum because that's the only one I visit often, but I have used the Bold and 8100 forums too at times.
Hey TheBigNewt,

I appreciate the feedback and reply. What you say though really doesn't make any sense if you were to use a prepaid SIM from a foreign carrier you'd have a new phone number, from them, not the number with your carrier that you hook up to using UMA.

In any case I'm sure there is something that Rogers is doing to block the connection.

Cheers,

M@
Closed Thread