Old 05-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
ryang4938
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
PIN: 24061D18
Carrier: cingular
Default data plan usage??

Please Login to Remove!

does anyone that has a blackberry not have the data plan? it seems that most people on here just use their blackberry for e-mails and such. do you think its worth having a blackberry if you do not have a data plan? i mostly use my blackberry for text messaging... i was wondering if anyone else does the same?
Old 05-09-2007, 02:55 PM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryang4938 View Post
does anyone that has a blackberry not have the data plan?
There are a few people here that do this. Doesn't make much sense to me.

Quote:
it seems that most people on here just use their blackberry for e-mails and such. do you think its worth having a blackberry if you do not have a data plan?
I guess it depends on what you use the Blackberry for. First and foremost, it's a wireless e-mail device. Everything else is secondary. That said, you NEED a Blackberry Data Plan for e-mail, and most other data features. In my opinion, it's not worth having a Blackberry if you don't have a data plan for it.
Most Blackberry users are primarily concerned with wireless e-mail, since that's what the device is specifically designed for.

Quote:
i mostly use my blackberry for text messaging... i was wondering if anyone else does the same?
To each his/her own, I suppose. Seems like you're wasting all the best features of the device you have.

Last edited by penguin3107; 05-09-2007 at 02:56 PM..
Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #3
Ryan8700
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: GPONG
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Being a former unlocked Hiptop3 user, I'm assuming this isn't what you want to hear, lol. But it is pretty pointless (well at least to me) to not have a data plan. But I do send over 1500 texts per month, so if you're like me, then it's still useful.

But you should definatley look in to getting a BIS plan.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #4
coolkarim
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 250ff349
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan8700 View Post
Being a former unlocked Hiptop3 user, I'm assuming this isn't what you want to hear, lol. But it is pretty pointless (well at least to me) to not have a data plan. But I do send over 1500 texts per month, so if you're like me, then it's still useful.

But you should definatley look in to getting a BIS plan.

How do you send 1500 texts per month? wow

In the desert Water=Time, Fuel=Distance

www.desertbiking.co.uk
Old 05-09-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
peterbabiy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: Not sure lol
Carrier: TMO

Ye it really depends but I say even with out a data plan its still worth getting it. Just the attention is worth lol
Old 05-09-2007, 06:07 PM   #6
ryang4938
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: 24061D18
Carrier: cingular

i usually send around 3000 text messages a month... so i think its worth it... the 7290's keyboard is great for sending texts
Old 05-09-2007, 06:20 PM   #7
FroogleThis

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Sprint PCS

I would get it simply to have the ability to hop on the web and grab a wallpaper or theme or anything else you want to do that requires data. At the rate carriers charge for data usage without having a data plan, consider it insurance in the event you hop on the web. Loading a webpage like Yahoo could easily cost you a few dollars.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
Liv
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

At one point, due to financial issues, I had to cut my data plan. I actually found that I used my blackberry heavily even though I didnt' have it.

Text messages mainly, and then I used all the applications, calender, contacts, bible, etc.

So it is possible to be happy without the data plan, unless you need it. But everyone is right, you would not be using the blackberry to the full potential.

Device: Sprint 8330 Curve - Crimson
My heart belongs to Seattle18 (Who I met on the Forums, ironic.)
Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 AM   #9
pronerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: VZW
Default I use it with just SMS

I use mine for just SMS. The BlackBerry only cost $100 more than the phone I was looking at and has a full keyboard. Also since I do not use, or have the data services I go over a week between charging it. I do a lot of SMS so the $100 difference was well worth it. The one down side is that Verizon really did not want to do it, but their sales person said I could. It took 2 months of hassling, and follow ups before they configured it correctly.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:32 PM   #10
celltester

Carrier: Alltel
Exclamation

If you are not wanting a data plan, get the Motorola Q. You will be able to text the same, but have more "off line" features, and you can use it for what you want...to play with. The Blackberry is a tool first, phone second, and never a toy...well, maybe a toy, but the absolute last thing on the list.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:37 AM   #11
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
does anyone that has a blackberry not have the data plan? it seems that most people on here just use their blackberry for e-mails and such. do you think its worth having a blackberry if you do not have a data plan? i mostly use my blackberry for text messaging... i was wondering if anyone else does the same?
It depends on your needs and wants. Most here will say it's pretty pointless without a BB data plan but I know of plenty of happy BB owners that don't have data plans. It's a very stable device, you can get a full qwerty (or SureType, if you swing that way) keyboard and still use the PIM apps and sync via USB with your PC. The PIM features may not be best-of-breed but they're certainly more than enough for most people. On the Pearl you can, of course use the camera without a data plan. On the Pearl and 8800 you can use the media features without a data plan.

I personally don't see the point in not using BES with a BB as you're really not getting the most from your BB without it but that doesn't mean that there's not a valid reason or desire to stick with BIS only. Again, there are plenty of people that are more than happy with just BIS. If you think about it, does everyone use everything that they own only to the fullest extent? Do PC owners only use their computers for high end number crunching? Do high performance car owners only drive at the car's top speed? There are plenty of reasons for using anything other than just the thing's maximum potential.

If you're happy with a BB without data then that's great. Why worry about validation from others? Are they footing your bill?

Last edited by takeshi; 05-11-2007 at 11:49 AM..
Closed Thread