Closed Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #41
drhink
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Default Being first w/ new devices not always good

Please Login to Remove!

The class action lawsuit by Treo 650 buyers is one example why being the first to offer a new device isn't always the best business strategy. Being in the software biz, I can tell you a lot of customers prefer to wait for the n.1 version since there's a perception that the n.0 customers hit most of the bugs. And VZW has been getting quicker to market as other posters have pointed out.

I travel frequently, and tried Sprint and ATT (pre-Cingular) before switching to VZW. VZW's coverage is far better than the other two, especially when you get away from large metro areas. Their EVDO coverage is awesome. They've always focused on the needs of business users over the general consumer market, meaning they know business customers lean towards reliability over low price. Take the Thinkpad for example: their are cheaper laptops available, but the durability keeps business buyers coming back to the good ole black Thinkpad. Most other laptops simply don't hold up as well to frequent TSA manhandling. Hopefully, Lenovo won't ruin the brand with lower quality; time will tell.

So, are all you people clammoring for the 8800 so ready to give up your thumbwheel? I'm not!
Old 11-02-2006, 02:32 PM   #42
rawiesen

Model: 8713e
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES admin
I travel also and I have yet to have a dropped call. I have not had less than 2 bars of signal strength, since I can't remember when.

Just last week I went to a conference with a coworker who uses Vzw and she had NO coverage in the conference center, I had 5/5 bars. This is in the middle of downtown.

Another coworker and I take coffee breaks in the basement of the building we work in. He can't get data or voice with his Vzw phone, again, I get 4/5 bars consistently.

My inlaws use Vzw and EVERY SINGLE time they call us from their cell phones, they are so unbareably difficult to understand with all of the breaking up that goes on!

Lastly, Verizon had a phone known as "The Chocolate" which has to be the world's q.u.e.e.r.e.s.t name EVER!

I guess my experience has been different than yours, which is why I use Cingular and you use Vzw. It's all good.
Either you are a Cingular shill or you have had unique experiences not at all indicative of mainstream reality.

I have had Cingular and Verizon Wireless for years while I have traveled throughout the country, Verizon is far superior to Cingular. In my opinion, they are in different leagues.

Consumer Reports and every other organization that has studied coverage and reliability of cellular carriers have come to the same conclusion -- Verizon is best.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:37 PM   #43
cdd543
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

I can't wait for the 8800 personally. I had the pearl and loved the trackball thing..way faster than the wheel. Verizon has had several exclusives on handsets recently so the old adage about them having the worst devices is hardly applicable. Tmo didn't have a working windows mobie device for months and verizon got both treo models first over sprint. And they have the best network!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #44
lunchboxfett

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Spring 07 they should have it.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 PM   #45
Nickster248
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: 2333C6FD
Carrier: Telus

Well, if there is going to be an BB 8800 release on the EVDO Network, then I will hold off buying one from Rogers (EDGE) when they come out, and stay with Telus.

BB PIN: 2333C6FD on a Torch 9800
Old 11-04-2006, 01:07 AM   #46
lunchboxfett

Model: 8800
Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickster248
Well, if there is going to be an BB 8800 release on the EVDO Network, then I will hold off buying one from Rogers (EDGE) when they come out, and stay with Telus.
Then you should wait. Although I am not sure if it will have the camera on it.
Old 11-04-2006, 01:22 AM   #47
worktrader

Model: 8100
Carrier: Rogers

I'm a VZW customer and noticed something very strange about the website recently. Do a search for the Pearl and it takes you to the blackberry page but there is no Pearl there to speak of. Hmmmm....it's coming sooner than you think....
Old 11-04-2006, 02:01 AM   #48
BES admin

Model: Droid
Carrier: Android -> AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawiesen
Either you are a Cingular shill or you have had unique experiences not at all indicative of mainstream reality.

I have had Cingular and Verizon Wireless for years while I have traveled throughout the country, Verizon is far superior to Cingular. In my opinion, they are in different leagues.

Consumer Reports and every other organization that has studied coverage and reliability of cellular carriers have come to the same conclusion -- Verizon is best.
I do not work for, nor am I affiliated with, Cingular. My experience is what it is. I have never personally used the vzw service, but that's because my experience with users of the service is as stated, terrible.

Aside from great coverage, Cingular also offers: Rollover minutes and the least expensive plan I could find: 63.99 5k night/weekend from 7pm-7am and 1000 minutes of anytime. Data is $29.99 unlmtd.

I have looked regularly, and NOBODY comes close, except maybe T-mobile, to a rate like I have, but even they don't offer the rollover minutes.
Old 11-04-2006, 07:29 AM   #49
jgb@etree
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
I do not work for, nor am I affiliated with, Cingular. My experience is what it is. I have never personally used the vzw service, but that's because my experience with users of the service is as stated, terrible.

Aside from great coverage, Cingular also offers: Rollover minutes and the least expensive plan I could find: 63.99 5k night/weekend from 7pm-7am and 1000 minutes of anytime. Data is $29.99 unlmtd.

I have looked regularly, and NOBODY comes close, except maybe T-mobile, to a rate like I have, but even they don't offer the rollover minutes.
Was that a commercial?
Old 11-05-2006, 12:31 PM   #50
rohardi

Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgb@etree
Was that a commercial?
lol
Old 11-06-2006, 09:43 PM   #51
dabull

Model: 8100

i gotta say, ive been with uscellular for two years, and verizon for one, and now that ive tried tmo i cant imagine going back to the former carriers. tmo absolutely rocks, and the pearl is the ultimate everyday phone. im spending the same as i did with verizon, only DOUBLE the anytime minutes PLUS the tethered internet/ bb internet thats always on. with verizon i had to use my anytime minutes to go online, and even then it wasnt full net access.

us cellular is bad because you are supporting the joan cusac commercials. argh how i cant stand those.
Old 11-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #52
celltester

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Alltel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurs
Except... they are currently the only one with the Motorola Q; they are the first American carrier with a 3.2MP camera phone (the Samsung A990) and the KRZR.... last.
*cough* Alltel had the KRZR before any other company, but I understand the frustration of getting everything last, Alltel normally picks up leftovers, they were quickto get the 7130e, but still last toget it
Old 11-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #53
only1eagle
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Cingular is STILL the largest cellular network.
In America?

I thought t-mobile was the largest worldwide (with their affiliates)
Old 11-11-2006, 12:04 PM   #54
thought
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8703

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1eagle
In America?

I thought t-mobile was the largest worldwide (with their affiliates)
Cingular is the largest in the US, but Verizon is closing fast, and will probably overtake Cingular by late 2007 or sometime in 2008...
Read <a href="http://www.blackberrycool.com/2006/11/08/002694/#more-2694">this if you want to know the details</a>

As for the largest carrier worldwide...I don't know...there's an awful lot of cellular subscribers in Asia...
Old 11-14-2006, 12:32 PM   #55
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

I've had Verizon, Cingular and Tmobile and I always find myself back at Verizon for a multitude of reasons. Cingular "Fewest dropped calls in the bay area," BS I'm sorry when I had them and my GF has them we both dropped ALL the time in random spots but go back to that spot happen again. Verizon? Doesn't happen. Tmobile and Cingular ehhhhh if I'm going to pay for data and a fancy schmazzy phone I want it to get something done as fast as it can and EDGE wasn't cutting it for me. Don't get me wrong tmo has great pricing but thats because they biggy back for a lot of coverage if I'm not mistaken. Verizon is CONSTANTLY expanding their cell service. I mean just recently they completed a tower at this little local airport near my fire station in the mountains for a small college and handful of students. Verizon seems to get a lot of coverage WHERE ITS NEEDED as well (This coming from a Emergency worker!!) I can't tell you how many times we've been on a call and us FF's that had Verizon could make calls Cingular guys couldn't (Yes sometimes we DON'T use the radio even on a call) Back to the subject of verizon getting the 8800 a year and I'm in no rush after getting my 8703e and loving it for what it does. I got bit in the ass with the Q when I went looking for expanded use and convergence!
Old 11-14-2006, 12:40 PM   #56
apple85
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Tour

oh ps and to add all of my immediate family and most of my extended family has verizon and not to mention most everyone i call... SO with In calling I save alot on minutes and texts!
Old 11-15-2006, 03:44 PM   #57
explicating

Model: 8700
Default 10000 ft = 1.8 miles...so what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by $tockmarket
Why do I stick with Verizon?

Twice now when flying I have forgotten to turn my BB off. Both times I received an email and a txt over 10,000 feet above sea level. That's Verizon. That's why I'm a customer.
Seriously, not be a jerk and I know you forgot to turn off your BB on a plane, but please try to do so. My partner flies 4 times a week, Turn off your cell phones people.

In addition, MOST cell carriers, GSM or CDMA, would work from an airplane. If you're line of sight with no barriers... of course it would work. 10000feet = 1.8 miles. Towers on the ground with barriers go farther than that.
Old 11-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #58
Pizzle
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: T + PINT = QUART
Carrier: at&t

Folks...back on topic. A pissing match between who's carrier is better has no place here. Feel free to discuss the 8800 pending on Verizon. Any of this "who's jewels are bigger" discussion will get the thread closed...
Old 11-29-2006, 01:47 AM   #59
$tockmarket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Wink

"Seriously, not be a jerk and I know you forgot to turn off your BB on a plane, but please try to do so. My partner flies 4 times a week, Turn off your cell phones people."

If a cell phone in "on" position were that dangerous to the safety of the flight, I think they would have confiscated them long ago along with my toothpaste and plastic fine dinning utensil set. Psst... Lean closer...Both father and brother-in-law are pilots. It's not that serious "people".

I think Pizzle took the sizzle from this thread.

Last edited by $tockmarket; 11-29-2006 at 01:54 AM..
Old 11-29-2006, 08:57 AM   #60
FlyingElvis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Verizon has the best network which for me personally is the most important thing.

But they don't give a crap about selling Blackberrys. My company is looking to buy 40 Blackberrys and we can't even get them to come in and talk to us. They are too busy selling Chocolates.
Closed Thread