GadgetGuru72
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb Comparison: CardKaller & BerryDialer - Calling Card Applications

Please Login to Remove!

CardKaller vs. BerryDialer

So, you want to make an international call on your BlackBerry, but you want to use a calling card to save on international calling fees. Typically, you would have to dial the toll-free calling card number, wait for a prompt, enter your user-specific calling card access code, wait for a prompt, and then dial your desired telephone number. That can be quite a pain, especially if you have a couple different calling cards.

Enter CardKaller and BerryDialer ....

CardKaller: CardKaller
Price: $19.99

BerryDialer: S4BB Limited » BerryDialer

Both programs facilitate the above process, and both perform in a similar manner.

So, considering the cost is equal, which one is better?

Graphical User Interface

BerryDialer - launch BerryDialer, and you are greeted by a blank screen. Literally. There is NOTHING on the screen:

You have to click the "menu" key to be greeted with your options to "add" a new card, "edit" a card, or "delete" a card:

If you select "add" a card, you are then given a set of pre-determined fields:

You enter the toll-free number, the number of seconds that the program should pause, the access number, the number of seconds that the program should pause, and any other necessary characters (e.g., hitting the # key at the end). You are constrained to the fields predetermined by the program.

CardKaller - launch CardKaller, and you are greeted by a nicely laid out, graphical interface. The main portion of the screen is divided into four quadrants: add a card, edit a card, delete a card, and make a call:

Hit "add a card" and you are walked through the process of setting up your calling card. Enter the name of the card, enter the toll-free number, etc:

Plus, as you can see in the above screen shot, there is an "advanced" setup, which allows you to configure calling cards that will not fit the predetermined fields. This is a definite advantage over BerryDialer.

Ease Of Use

Both programs work in a similar manner. Essentially, once the calling cards are entered into the program, you can access the program from within the address book.

For example, you want to call Joe Smith:
(1) Find Joe Smith in your address book.
(2) Hit the MENU key, select "CardKaller call" or "BerryDialer call," respectively.
(3) The program kicks in, and works it's way through dialing the toll-free number, enters your access code, and dials your desired number.

Although the function is similar, CardKaller, once again, provides a nicely laid out graphical interface. Whereas BerryDialer presents basic textual prompts, CardKeller presents graphical prompts.

The above steps assume you are calling someone with a telephone number contained in your address book. If you are calling someone not in your address book, CardKaller allows for this option as well:

Just enter the telephone number, and CardKaller does the rest.

Conclusion

Both programs get the job done. Both programs allow you to enter your calling card information once, and then you can forget about them, knowing that they are there to use any time you wish.

BerryDialer was released first. CardKaller is the new kid on the block. While BerryDialer has more longevity, CardKaller definately trumps BerryDialer in aesthetics. You can tell the folks behind CardKaller put some work into it.

The best way I can describe the appearance of the programs is to use this analogy: BerryDialer looks like you're working in a DOS-based system from 20 years ago, whereas CardKaller looks like you're working on the latest Mac or an XP/Vista machine. When you're talking about spending nearly $20 on a BlackBerry program, function is only part of the consideration. Appearance and ease of use are equally important and, in these categories, CardKaller wins.

If you are looking for this type of program, since both programs cost $19.99, to me the choice is clear -- CardKaller is the winner.

BerryDialer
Function: 8/10
Appearance: 2/10
Ease of use: 6/10

CardKaller
Appearance: 10/10
Ease of use: 10/10

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 03-14-2009 at 02:11 PM..
Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
saqer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for the writeup. I might try CardKaller one day, but the GUI isn't THAT important for me personally. As long as both get the job done they are equal in my eyes. The only thing I wish they can do is support calling from the call log input. BerryDialer gives an error message stating that feature is not yet supported. It would be easier to just to type a contact from the home screen and quickly select an international call rather than having to go into address book.

I need ten posts so I can post my next post for this thread
Old 03-14-2009, 02:58 PM   #3
saqer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks for the review. It's worthy to mention that there are other service specific "calling cards" out there too for those who like to stick to one long distance provider.

1. CellularLD (mobilesphere long distance) - CellularLD
2. MyGlobalTalk - Discount long distance calls with free mobile phone tools for international cell phone plans
3. iSkoot (skype) - register
4. S4BB's BBCalls (JaJah) - S4BB Limited » BBCalls
5. Vopium (Vopium?) - Vopium Compatible Mobile Handset and Devices
6. Talkster (?) - Talki.me
7. Services that give you local number to dial / international number:
a. Rebtel - wap.rebtel.com (sms service available too)
b. Jaxtr - jaxtr - link your phone

Other long distance services / calling cards that can be used with CardKaller and BerryDialer

8. calling cards plus phone prepaid at callingcardsplus.com - have many different calling cards with varying rates, time rounding, auto-recharge, pinless, speed dial.
9. 247 Prepaid Calling: International and Domestic Phone Calls - Pinless. Have used successfully. Very competitive rates and decent customer support. Auto-recharge and speed dial available.
10. Welcome to Norstar Telecommunications - My current provider which I use alongside BerryDialer. Superior call quality and competitive, FIXED rates. Six second rounding after first minute. Post-paid (with credit check). Pinless.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:50 PM   #4
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
Carrier: HK CSL

I would like to see the screen shots. What happened to them?

I am using BerryDialer for years as well. They bring constant updates and have a great customer support. Though the user interface is a bit plain, I like it as it just does what it should do. However, some fancy "add" / "edit" / "delete" might be a plus. I saw the setup screen just once in the beginning. Never needed to use it again

Quote:
Originally Posted by saqer View Post
The only thing I wish they can do is support calling from the call log input. BerryDialer gives an error message stating that feature is not yet supported.
I had the same problem too. By talking to the CS I found out that I needed to upgrade my BB OS as this feature was not supported in older BlackBerry OS versions

Check out the "How to upgrade BlackBerry OS" article if you want to know how that works
Old 03-15-2009, 08:56 PM   #5
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym View Post
I would like to see the screen shots. What happened to them?
I have no clue. They were hosted on Photobucket, but the whole site seems to be down. I can't even log into my account. Hopefully they will get their site fixed soon. Otherwise, I'll have to host the photos somewhere else.

What's another good photo hosting site?

Last edited by GadgetGuru72; 03-15-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Old 03-15-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
GadgetGuru72

Ok, I changed the images to Imageshack, but now this site is not letting me edit my original post. So, I'll just post the whole thing again, with the screenshots ...
Old 03-15-2009, 09:11 PM   #7
GadgetGuru72

CardKaller vs. BerryDialer

So, you want to make an international call on your BlackBerry, but you want to use a calling card to save on international calling fees. Typically, you would have to dial the toll-free calling card number, wait for a prompt, enter your user-specific calling card access code, wait for a prompt, and then dial your desired telephone number. That can be quite a pain, especially if you have a couple different calling cards.

Enter CardKaller and BerryDialer ....

CardKaller: CardKaller

BerryDialer: S4BB Limited » BerryDialer

Both programs facilitate the above process, and both perform in a similar manner.

So, considering the cost is equal, which one is better?

Graphical User Interface

BerryDialer - launch BerryDialer, and you are greeted by a blank screen. Literally. There is NOTHING on the screen:

You have to click the "menu" key to be greeted with your options to "add" a new card, "edit" a card, or "delete" a card:

If you select "add" a card, you are then given a set of pre-determined fields:

You enter the toll-free number, the number of seconds that the program should pause, the access number, the number of seconds that the program should pause, and any other necessary characters (e.g., hitting the # key at the end). You are constrained to the fields predetermined by the program.

CardKaller - launch CardKaller, and you are greeted by a nicely laid out, graphical interface. The main portion of the screen is divided into four quadrants: add a card, edit a card, delete a card, and make a call:

Hit "add a card" and you are walked through the process of setting up your calling card. Enter the name of the card, enter the toll-free number, etc:

Plus, as you can see in the above screen shot, there is an "advanced" setup, which allows you to configure calling cards that will not fit the predetermined fields. This is a definite advantage over BerryDialer.

Ease Of Use

Both programs work in a similar manner. Essentially, once the calling cards are entered into the program, you can access the program from within the address book.

For example, you want to call Joe Smith:
(1) Find Joe Smith in your address book.
(2) Hit the MENU key, select "CardKaller call" or "BerryDialer call," respectively.
(3) The program kicks in, and works it's way through dialing the toll-free number, enters your access code, and dials your desired number.

Although the function is similar, CardKaller, once again, provides a nicely laid out graphical interface. Whereas BerryDialer presents basic textual prompts, CardKeller presents graphical prompts.

The above steps assume you are calling someone with a telephone number contained in your address book. If you are calling someone not in your address book, CardKaller allows for this option as well:

Just enter the telephone number, and CardKaller does the rest.

Conclusion

Both programs get the job done. Both programs allow you to enter your calling card information once, and then you can forget about them, knowing that they are there to use any time you wish.

BerryDialer was released first. CardKaller is the new kid on the block. While BerryDialer has more longevity, CardKaller definately trumps BerryDialer in aesthetics. You can tell the folks behind CardKaller put some work into it.

The best way I can describe the appearance of the programs is to use this analogy: BerryDialer looks like you're working in a DOS-based system from 20 years ago, whereas CardKaller looks like you're working on the latest Mac or an XP/Vista machine. When you're talking about spending nearly $20 on a BlackBerry program, function is only part of the consideration. Appearance and ease of use are equally important and, in these categories, CardKaller wins.

If you are looking for this type of program, since both programs cost $19.99, to me the choice is clear -- CardKaller is the winner.

BerryDialer
Appearance: 2/10
Ease of use: 6/10

CardKaller
Appearance: 10/10
Ease of use: 10/10
Old 03-15-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
funkym
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: HK CSL

Thanks a lot for the images. Looks better now

I just saw the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GadgetGuru72 View Post
The above steps assume you are calling someone with a telephone number contained in your address book. If you are calling someone not in your address book, CardKaller allows for this option as well.
This is possible with my BerryDialer as well. I just start typing in a telephone number and then choose "BerryDialer Call" from the menu. This allows me to make a manual phone call too. So it is not a real advantage of CardKaller over BerryDialer.

Also, I would like to know why you rates both apps 8/10 in "function"?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:39 PM   #9
GadgetGuru72

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkym View Post
Also, I would like to know why you rates both apps 8/10 in "function"?
Because, at the core, both programs are designed to facilitate making calls with a calling card, and both do that. So, I rated them equally on function.

However, I think both programs can probably benefit by throwing in a few extra "bonus" features. I'm not sure what those features would be, but I didn't think either deserved a perfect score.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
LizL

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo

Hey guys this is great for google voice dialing to skip dialing through the website or dialing a thousand numbers (with all the potential for mistakes) just to make a free call using the wonders of google voice. more people may care about this as more people gain access to google voice.
Old 03-21-2009, 02:29 AM   #11
williamxi
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: rogers

Hi guys,

Please have a look at my EasyDialer, It's not that fancy as CardKaller, but it works on all BlackBerrys with OS 4.1 and above, including Storm. It works around many limitations that BerryDialer users mentioned here, like directly inputting a phone nubmer then make dialer call.

Please visit my website www . callingcardDialer . com.

Last edited by williamxi; 03-21-2009 at 02:31 AM..
Old 04-23-2009, 04:14 AM   #12
winger13
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: sprint

So far CardKaller works great for BB and GV, except for a couple of improvement ideas I have sent the developers.
Old 09-06-2009, 08:21 PM   #13
bisser

Carrier: T-Mobile

I am using another calling card dialer avaialble at the AppWorld called BlaCaDa. It also has a completely free version which can be used unlimited number of times.
Closed Thread