BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-22-2005, 02:16 PM   #1
darwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo
Default Help setting up BBCorrector server?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, in the other thread, it was mentioned that for BBCorrector to work, you need a CGI capable server to connect BBCorrector (formerly BBSpellCheck, not to be confused with another product called bbSpell) to.

If anyone can point me in the right direction, I'd be willing to set up a server through my hosting for Blackberryforums members, assuming the bandwidth requirement isn't astronomical (like, over 5-10GB/month).

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 04-22-2005 at 02:26 PM..
Old 04-22-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Just made a minor edit to your message, to prevent trademark confusion.

Roughly (for people familiar with UNIX)
(1) Verify that the perl cgi-bin feature is enabled for your web account
(2) Try SSH into your webserver. (use Windows PuTTY or Vandyke SecureCRT)
(3) Test the 'aspell' command to see if GNU aspell is preinstalled
(4) If 'aspell' is not installed, google 'aspell', download it using ftp or scp. If you are lucky to find a binary version that matches the web server UNIX/Linux version (use the 'uname -a' command to find out what your server is running, if you don't know). Failing this, you have to recompile aspell. Upload the source code to your web server using ftp or scp, then unzip/untar it on your webserver and then compile it, probably using the included "./Configure" command. Install the aspell binary in a path accessible to the web server. Make sure it's chmod'ed to executable, usually mode 755, although some use mode 700.
(5) Upload the "BBCorrectorServer.cgi" file using either ftp or scp from the bbcorrector zip, to the cgi-bin or scripts subdirectory of your web server. Make sure you chmod it executable. You may need to edit the file to make sure it can access the GNU 'aspell' binary.

These instructions will go over your head if you are not familiar with UNIX.

Someone else will have to translate the above UNIX/Linux instructions into "IdiotProof<tm>" instructions for non-UNIX users. This could easily fluff these instructions into 3 or 4 pages, though -- non-UNIX/Linux users have been warned.

There will be some client-side configuration, to point it to the web address of the spell checker server, for example "http://www.FakeServerExample.com/cgi-bin/BBCorrectorServer.cgi" ... remember, filenames are case-sensitive, so if you use a different name, make sure the case matches!
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 04-22-2005 at 02:35 PM..
Old 04-22-2005, 02:52 PM   #3
darwin
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700
Carrier: tmo

Thank you, the SSH information for my host has apparently changed, trying to find the new info so I can test it.

edit: sshed in, working on it now.

Last edited by darwin; 04-22-2005 at 03:04 PM..
Old 04-22-2005, 03:30 PM   #4
PDHLA

Model: 7100T

Anyone know if it's possible to use space from my .Mac account to host my own personal version of the spelling dictionary?
Old 04-22-2005, 05:36 PM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

If you've got Perl/cgi-bin support, I don't see any reason why not. Find out about cgi-bin support.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:09 AM   #6
jmajor1111

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

lets just say i'm happy to see this back. i got my first BB just 2 days after deadstick took this down.

anyway... I assume that once we have installed the server portion, and the configure the client, that spell check should be listed under thumbwheel menus in email, calender?

I've tested my server side, seems to work, and i installed the client, however even after i configured it, i get nothing.

any help please.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:02 PM   #7
jmajor1111

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

oh, and btw, heres the howto for Windows. found it in the original source zip.

How to setup BBCorrector Server under WindowsXP
------------------------------------------------

1) Install Perl (http://www.activestate.com/Products/ActivePerl/)

2) Install Aspell (http://aspell.net/win32/)

3) Create you IIS web site via the Microsoft Management Console

- right click your web site and select "Properties"
- select the "Home Directory" tab
- choose your "Local Path"
- in the "Application Settings" box, select "Configuration"
- select the "Mappings" tab
- make sure the extension ".cgi" is mapped to the Perl executable
"C:\perl\bin\perl.exe %s" (replace path as necessary)
- create a directory under your "Local Path" called cgi-bin and place
BBCorrectorServer.cgi there
- execute the following two commands:
adsutil.vbs SET w3svc/CreateCGIWithNewConsole "1"
adsutil.vbs SET w3svc/CreateProcessAsUser "0"
I found "adsutil.vbs" under C:\Inetpub\AdminScripts. Your mileage may vary but these
two commands MUST be run.
- restart your web site

4) Modify BBCorrectorServer.cgi to reflect your system configuration

- change perl executable path. Example:
#!d:/perl/bin/perl
- change path to aspell executable. Example:
my $cmdAspellExe = "\"D:/Program Files/Aspell/bin/aspell\"";

straight from the release notes.
Old 04-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #8
idencustom
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 83xx
Carrier: Skytel

isnt bbspell endorsed by blackberryforums? isnt that why there is a banner on the top of my screen?
Old 04-26-2005, 09:01 AM   #9
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

I think the banner means that the company marketing bbSpell is paying for advertising on bbf. Not necessarily an endorsement, but definately a paid advertisement.
Old 04-26-2005, 09:11 AM   #10
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

bbSpell -- developed by www.SomeDevelopers.com -- who is one of several BlackBerryForums sponsors that now pay for the operation of this popular website. They have a free advertising-supported version of bbSpell which displays advertisements while spellchecking. (This advertising in bbSpell is unrelated to the advertising that they do on this website - we have no control over the ads that show up inside bbSpell). This spellchecker is much easier to install.

bbCorrector -- developed by Chris Miles (aka deadstick) -- is an open source spellchecker. It was originally called 'bbSpellCheck' but renamed to bbCorrector to prevent trademark conflict with the other spelling checker, bbSpell. This spellchecker is harder to install because you need to install a server component. They are considered a competitor, however, BlackBerryForums has a policy of encouraging neutrality regarding public discussion of competing BlackBerry software, and many of our sponsors respect that.

Last edited by Mark Rejhon; 04-26-2005 at 09:14 AM..
Old 05-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #11
corey@12mile

I think I am having the same issues as jmajor1111... I have setup my server, installed the app on the handheld but I get nothing as far as actually doing the spell check. I have the bbCorrector icon, I configured it, but no checking of any type, nor any option to do a check from withing my email.

Has anyone gotten this new version to work?
Old 05-02-2005, 09:55 AM   #12
bbieber
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

corey@12mile

You need to reboot your blackberry, and then the "spelling" option will appear.

Brian
Old 05-02-2005, 02:05 PM   #13
corey@12mile

Interesting enough... but turning the device off, full off, with the icon on the screen, the spelling menu item still doesn't get added. By giving the three finger salute (alt-caps-backspace) the spelling menu item doesn't get added. By pulling the battery and putting it back in, the spelling menu item gets added.

Who would have guessed you have to give it a truely hard reset just to add the spelling menu item.

cd.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:37 PM   #14
udontknowjack
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

Because the other "resets" you did just reset the radio. You have to reset the whole device.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:23 AM   #15
corey@12mile

Turning the device off through the icon on the main screen, and selecting a complete turn off isn't just resetting the radio. It's turning the device completely off.

As well, doing the Alt-Caps-Backspace is a bit more than resetting the radio too... but hey... what do I know right?

cd.

Last edited by corey@12mile; 05-03-2005 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: add rhetoric.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #16
mistrfree

Model: 7520
Default Great!!!!

Got My server setup, and this thing is just GREAT!!!! Thanks for all of your hard work, much appreciated
Old 06-23-2005, 09:06 PM   #17
bmlang

Carrier: verizon

I'm having issues with my server. I have the server running, and I tested it through the web browser on the PC but whenever I go to do a spell check on the BB it takes a little bit then sends me back an error saying BBCorrector encountered an HTTP 400 error. I can't figure this out! I can hit the server from the internet on a PC. Any suggestions?
Old 06-24-2005, 07:41 AM   #18
corey@12mile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlang
I'm having issues with my server. I have the server running, and I tested it through the web browser on the PC but whenever I go to do a spell check on the BB it takes a little bit then sends me back an error saying BBCorrector encountered an HTTP 400 error. I can't figure this out! I can hit the server from the internet on a PC. Any suggestions?
Make sure that the URL for the server your enter into the Blackberry has the proper case. BBCorrectorServer.cgi has to have the proper case. As well, if you can open a webbrowser from the BES server console/term and open the url for the bbcorrectorserver to make sure it works from there.

cd.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #19
tzarcone
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Linux - Redhat - BBCorrectorServer.cgi error -

I checked to see if Perl was installed and working it is, I also checked to see if aspell was working and it is. I checked to make sure cgi scripts were working also. Everything seems to be working but when I goto http://www.myserver.com/cgi-bin/BBCorrectorServer.cgi I receive the error 500:

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, [email address] and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache/2.0.40 Server at linux.myserver.com Port 80

Than I check the log file and see:
[Sat Jun 25 12:03:12 2005] [error] [client 192.168.1.123] Premature end of script headers: BBCorrectorServer.cgi

I have the file set to 755 for rights but nothing seems to work.

Once this is setup and working I will be making this a public spell check server I put this on a redhat linux box that will just be used for the BBCorrectorServer. If anyone can assist me please let me know.

Ted
Old 06-25-2005, 07:59 PM   #20
bbieber
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: at&t

I have found that you need to have some additional perl modules installed. CGI.pm & File-Temp. I used CGI.pm-3.0.8.tar.gz & File-Temp-0.16.tar.gz
They don’t seem standard on a generic RedHat install.
I hope this helps.

Brian
Closed Thread