BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 10:11 AM   #1
richardsbd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: The 'new' AT&T (formerly known as Cingular)
Exclamation No 'Send' command on PIN menu (after BES Enterprise Activation) for BB8700c

Please Login to Remove!

So we just got free (!) upgrades from BB7290 to BB8700c from AT&T for all our old devices (82 of 'em), and after upgrading and issuing about half of them, my boss comes to me and asks, "Why can't I send a PIN message now?"

She had had a year-old Cingular-branded 8700c (v. 4.1.0.377 handheld OS), but it 'malfunctioned' and so was replaced with one of the new AT&T-branded 8700c (v. 4.2.1.96 handheld OS).

The old device was activated to the same BES as the new device (same IT Policy), and the 'send' command was available in the 'compose PIN' menu.

The new device, however, is able to receive and compose PIN messages, but the 'send' command is missing from the menu (and, yes, the To: field is populated).

My first thought was that the IT Policy had been modified on the BES, but after working with the office that manages the servers, and after additional testing of my own (took one of the new devices, downgraded the OS to v.4.1.0.377, activated it to the BES, and there is no problem - 'send' command is there), we've ruled out the IT Policy as a factor.

I also had the presence of mind to check one of the new devices, right out of the box, and before activating it to the BES the 'send' command is available on the compose PIN menu - it can send PIN messages!!!

The problem only manifests itself after the handheld is activated (EAed) to the BES - which is running version 4.1.x.x BES software (I can't get any more precise on the BES version, sorry).

So, has anyone else seen an issue where an 8700c with v. 4.2.1.96 handheld OS, after Enterprise Activating to a BES server on v. 4.1 software (Windows 2003), no longer has a 'send' option on the PIN menu?

To reiterate answers to hdawg's questions on my other post:

- the device can receive PIN messages
- the OS is out of the box from AT&T (not an upgrade)
- all other functions work as expected
- this is on corporate BES (not BIS)
- all devices have the same 'issue'

TIA,

user and maintainer of a bunch of BB8700s

current project - nordoxandsoaps.com | View my LinkedIn profile
Old 11-09-2007, 11:29 AM   #2
galen_of_avalon

Model: 8703e
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Out of curiosity, are you doing a backup/restore of the users' old devices? I've only encountered a similar problem once in my short tenure as my company's BES admin and that was just last week. Verizon (our carrier) released the 4.2 upgrade for the 8703e. We upgraded three devices thus far for testing. Two upgraded fine. The third (sadly, my IT Director's) did not have a send option when replying to or forwarding an email. I wiped the device from the security menu and reactivated it and then he had the send option when forwarding but not replying. I then wiped it with Java Loader thinking I'd roll back to the previous version before I thought about just not restoring the backup. I reinstalled 4.2 and did the Enterprise Activation without restoring the backup and everything was fine. My guess was that there was some third party software that wasn't making the transition nicely.

I never checked the PIN menu, though, as I don't think we ever use it. At least not on purpose.

Not sure if any of that helps.

Micheal
Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM   #3
richardsbd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700c
Carrier: The 'new' AT&T (formerly known as Cingular)

Michael,

Thanks for the reply!

No, not doing backup/restore - just out of the box EA (we've run into issues trying to restore previously, so don't anymore!).

Regards,

user and maintainer of a bunch of BB8700s

current project - nordoxandsoaps.com | View my LinkedIn profile
Closed Thread