BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
s10xtremenlow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Get PIM data without BES temporarily?

Please Login to Remove!

We bought in on verizon's deal where if you get 5 blackberry devices, you get 5 cal's for free.. Well what we didn't know is that they have to all be activated and it takes about 2-3 days to get the CAL's after they've been activated.

How can i get all 5 devices loaded with the users contacts without having a CAL for them yet? I don't want to mess anything up with I do get the CAL's and try to get them on the BES.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #2
x14
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

You can use the Desktop Manager for PIM sync.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
s10xtremenlow
Thumbs Must Hurt

With no CAL? Can i do it all off of one PC?

Will everything be over written with setup on BES?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:11 PM   #4
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

Install the BES and add the users to it without the additional CALs. It should still allow you to add the users and function properly, despite the warning message you'll receive. Add the CALs later and there will no interruption of service for your temporary non-compliance.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:24 PM   #5
s10xtremenlow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
Install the BES and add the users to it without the additional CALs. It should still allow you to add the users and function properly, despite the warning message you'll receive. Add the CALs later and there will no interruption of service for your temporary non-compliance.
how long will they work without a CAL?
Old 05-26-2008, 11:27 PM   #6
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

That's yet to be determined. Some have run it for years. The general thought is that RIM has no means of determining if you're running a non-compliant BES, in terms of user licensing. However, if they should ever catch wind of it and decide to audit you (unlikely in such a small environment), then the cat would be most certainly out of the bag. Just work on the honor system and get them when you can get them, as it seems you are already on your way to doing so in the short-term.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #7
s10xtremenlow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
That's yet to be determined. Some have run it for years. The general thought is that RIM has no means of determining if you're running a non-compliant BES, in terms of user licensing. However, if they should ever catch wind of it and decide to audit you (unlikely in such a small environment), then the cat would be most certainly out of the bag. Just work on the honor system and get them when you can get them, as it seems you are already on your way to doing so in the short-term.
ahh great. I didn't know it worked like that. We defiantly have them coming, just don't want the users to be without mobile email for a few days.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:55 PM   #8
s10xtremenlow
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
does the same hold true for blackberry professional software? When i click add user it says over cal limit and doesn't add it... If i used berrystats, it adds the users, but i want to make sure it won't stop my free cal user from working
Closed Thread