BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 02:54 PM   #1
adamz123

Default Making phone calls through Java API

Please Login to Remove!

I've been scouring for an answer to this lately and can only find half-answers. Is it possible to place a phone call through a program using the available APIs? On other boards, I've seen people say it can be done and then I've seen others say that it can be done when RIM releases their Phone API. I'm not sure who to believe, but I don't see any support for it from what I've looked at in the API docs. Does anyone know if it's possible? If not, does anyone know when the PhoneAPI is going to be released? Thanks much.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:24 PM   #2
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I have seen the same posts you have...bottom line seems to be that 4.0 will offer access to the phone API. There is a rumor floating around that you can get to it even now, but those who know are refusing to share -- someone even claimed they are trying to make some money selling the information. Personally, I don't think it can be done yet. Let's see if 4.0 offers a solution.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:30 AM   #3
legnit

I am fooling around with that problem myself.

What I was able to find is that you should be able to make an http connection and pass in "tel:555-1212" instead of a URL. I've tried with no success, but I don't think I am setting up the request properly.

If you look at the HTML that the browser sees when it displays "linked" phone numbers, you see the <a> tags with an "href"="tel:...."

I think what you have to do is fire off the browser with the right args and it will redirect for the phone. Like I said, I've fooled with it a bit but get an arrayOutOfBounds exception when firing off the browser.

Anyone care to add ideas, or see if they can get it to work?
Old 09-21-2004, 05:08 PM   #4
hidefguy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

I'm new to developing BB apps, but I will wager that this is/will be a "controlled API", i.e. will require a code signature - can you imagine the mayhem if some of those long distance slammer outfits could trick folks into installing a seemingly useful business app or utility and the bloody thing phoned barbados every few minutes...?
Old 09-21-2004, 08:14 PM   #5
eradis

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

I'm almost 100% sure you can't use a "phone API" to make calls. I reviewed the 4.0 javadocs and there was no phone api. I think the people saying there is a way are pulling your leg. The only way I can see it is if you are an ISV alliance member, would you have access to that API.

If you look at a device dir via javaloader you will see net_rim_bb_phone_api.cod? Interesting...
Old 09-21-2004, 11:01 PM   #6
legnit

The clue to doing a dial from within other apps via an href is here on the BB forum at RIM.
Old 09-21-2004, 11:07 PM   #7
eradis

Model: 8700r
Carrier: Rogers

Actually I stand corrected. There are APIs for the phone: Class PhoneArguments.

And of course they need to be signed by RIM to use.

Very interesting...
Closed Thread