BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #1
jvanausdale

Model: 9550
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange UK
Default Storm 2 9550 - Constant reboot loop (even after OS re-install)

Please Login to Remove!

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading this forum for a few years now, but just now have some need for specific advice I haven't been able to find elsewhere. Hopefully someone can help me.

I have a Storm 2 9550 (Verizon branded, but network unlocked) on Orange in the UK. I have been using it for the last 10 months with little issue, but recently it began restarting randomly and then getting into a constant reboot loop cycle which many people have had issue with. I searched online to find a fix, which I found in the re-installation of the OS, but it does not seem to have fixed my problem.

Currently, I have re-installed the OS twice, once with a system restore, once without and after about a half hour of use, the phone restarts randomly and then enters the familiar reboot loop after both re-installs. I'm not sure how common this is, but once I plug it in the computer or wall charger, it kicks out of the loop and restarts like normal. Also, it works fine when charging, but as soon as I take it off the charger, it begins its restart/reboot loop again after about a half hour of use.

I am currently running v5.0.0.1015 (Bundle 1656, Platform 4.2.0.442). Also, I recently dropped the phone from a short height (maybe two feet) on a bus and shortly after is when the random restart/reboot loop began.

If anyone has any insight into what may fix my issue, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks for reading.
Old 06-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA
Default Re: Storm 2 9550 - Constant reboot loop (even after OS re-install)

Take a look at the battery and make sure it is tight in the compartment. Shim it if necessary. Also look for bent pins on the device that may not be making complete contact with the battery.

Did you try running it stock after the OS reinstall, or did you reinstall all your apps right away? A bad app or theme is something else to suspect.

I was thinking media card as I was reading, until I got to the parts about chargjing and desktop manager. But if you use a media card, try running without it anyway, for a while, and see if the rebooting happens.
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 06-12-2011, 05:04 PM   #3
jvanausdale

I'm pretty certain the battery is fine, I have a cut up business card in there since I bought it since the battery used to be a problem, but has not been one since I put the card in.

I have not tried running stock after the OS reinstall, I will try it though. Can an app go bad all the sudden? I haven't downloaded or installed anything new for months.

I have tried running it without the media card since that was another possibility I saw online, but it restarted just the same as before.

Thanks for the advice and reply, I'll give the stock reinstall a go and see if it works.
Old 06-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #4
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Software and data can get corrupted, but I was thinking along the lines of a poorly written app.

At any rate, try the BlackBerry stock.

Fingers crossed, but my suspicion is you broke something in the drop just emough to cause intermittant and not total failure.
Old 06-12-2011, 09:37 PM   #5
Wolf_Dreams
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanausdale View Post
I'm pretty certain the battery is fine, I have a cut up business card in there since I bought it since the battery used to be a problem, but has not been one since I put the card in.

I have not tried running stock after the OS reinstall, I will try it though. Can an app go bad all the sudden? I haven't downloaded or installed anything new for months.

I have tried running it without the media card since that was another possibility I saw online, but it restarted just the same as before.

Thanks for the advice and reply, I'll give the stock reinstall a go and see if it works.
Have a very close look inside the usb charge port with a penlight. Look for pins out of line. Perhaps, when the charger is plugged in they separate properly, but as soon as the cable is removed, they relax and come very close to touching? IDK, I'm used to the Micro usb on the bolds (which has bonded metal strips layed out on the bottom of 5 valleys in a plastic strip). But, make sure the battery, SIM and SD card are removed, before you decide to poke around in there with a sewing needle, or fine pick tools.

Oh, and try a different battery. An internal short or disconnect, during temperature fluctuations or flexing, could cause periodic reboots too.

Last edited by Wolf_Dreams; 06-12-2011 at 09:41 PM..
Old 06-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #6
jvanausdale

Thanks for the replies, guys. I just reinstalled the OS again, leaving it stock to see if it does it again tomorrow. Hopefully some kind of data just got corrupted and that's all there is and it's all fixed. If not...guess I'm looking for a new phone.

Thanks again.
Closed Thread