fratts
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: TBayTEL
Default cannot delete old ipd files

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone,

I made a couple backups way back when I was still running BB 8830 using Desktop Manager installed in Windows Vista on a separate partition from the OS. I have since upgraded to Windows 7, and a BB Tour so no longer need these ipd backup files. When I go to delete these files I get a "unauthorized" error and cannot delete the files. Its not really a huge deal since the files are so small and there are only 3 of them, but I'm just curious to know why I am apparently "unauthorized" to delete these files even though I am logging into Win7 as an administrator. I have even tried running an elevated cmd prompt and deleting the files that way but receive the same error.

Any ideas?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:24 AM   #2
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

.ipd files are only accessible by the exact user who created them. This is for security reasons.

Some people will argue that the machine Administrator permissions should supersede the permissions set by Desktop Manager, and some will argue that it's working the way it should.

Either way, you probably can't do anything with them unless you're the original user that made the backup.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:21 PM   #3
fratts

So unless I re-install Windows Vista, create an account with the same name as the account that created them, I'm stuck with these files? That seems kinda silly but its no big deal I guess.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:31 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

No, even recreating an account with the same name will not work.
Only the EXACT account that created them will have access to it. Since that account no longer exists, those files are largely inaccessible now.

You call it silly... I call it security.
I sure wouldn't want anyone but me accessing my backup files.
Old 02-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Actually I call it overkill (not silly).
I moved a secondary harddrive another PC. Can't delete IPD files. I think it is overkill.....
Old 02-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #6
fratts

Agreed. Ahh well like I said there are only 3 of them and they arent that big so I have no choice but to leave them where they are. Thanks!
Old 02-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #7
Roadblock252

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

right click the file and use the security tab and give yourself full control, then hit ok. then i went back and edited the permissions as well.
Old 02-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #8
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

This does work on IPD files as well.

When attempting to remove the BlackBerry Desktop Software the install process halts and the error "Error 1321. Installer has insufficient privileges to modify file <File Path>"
Environment

Windows Vista™

Overview
When attempting to remove the BlackBerry Desktop Software the install process halts and the error "Error 1321. Installer has insufficient privileges to modify file <File Path>".

Cause
This issue has multiple related causes:

Cause 1:
The files or folders referenced in the error message are Owned by another user account.

Cause 2:

The BlackBerry smartphone user attempting the removal does not have sufficient permissions to modify or remove the files or folders indicated in the error message.

Resolution
Cause 1:
The files or folders referenced in the error message are Owned by another user account.

Resolution 1:
Note the file or folder indicated in the error message. Click the Start button and select the Computer icon.
Navigate to the folder indicated in the error message. Right-click the folder and select Properties.
Select the Security tab, click the Advanced button then click the Owner tab and then select the Edit button.
Select the Administrators item in the Owner list, check the box labeled "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click Apply.
Close the Advanced window, close the Properties window and attempt to remove the Desktop Manager software again.
Cause 2:

The BlackBerry smartphone user attempting the removal does not have sufficient permissions to modify or remove the files or folders indicated in the error message.

Resolution 2:
Note the file or folder indicated in the error message. Click the Start button and select the Computer icon.
Navigate to the folder indicated in the error message. Right-click the folder and select Properties.
Select the Security tab, click the Edit button.
Highlight the current user and verify the Full Control permission below is checked. If it is not, please check it.
Click apply and then close the Properties box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Information
Note: To remove BlackBerry Desktop Manager or perform the above actions the current user must be an administrator on the computer in use.
Old 02-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
turn_key

Model: 8330m
PIN: G PAL4 Putter
Carrier: Sprint

Wirelessly posted

Not really a solution but I've always hidden the little files that I can't uninstall. I like a clean look when I open a drive and I'd rather not see temp or log files...don't like clutter.
Closed Thread