Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
tdeboeser

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon
Default real auto answer

Please Login to Remove!

Hi,
BB's don't seem to have a real auto answer, i.e. two rings or so and the phone opens the line. This seems to be a missing feature, or mis-understood feature. The auto answer on my 7210 running 3.7, only does so if I remove it from the holster. And not if it is already out of the holster.

I know of a few other folks out there who would like this feature. I'm a weak programer ( Unix sys admin stuff ), and I don't wanta screw anything up.

Is there a way, separate java app, or new OS that fixes this feature? How hard would creating an app be for this?

Thanks,

Tom
Old 10-22-2004, 03:29 PM   #2
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

I am not 100% sure, but there might be a way, it would have to be a Controlled API call because of the security implications:
http://www.blackberry.com/developers...lledAPIs.shtml

Purchasing a key costs $100 USD, to gain access to these 'priveleged' API calls.

RIM protects the more 'dangerous' API calls with a cryptographic signing key to prevent it from being easy to hack BlackBerries compared to other devices. For example, a virus automatically making a phone call is not possible without getting a cryptographic signing key to give you (as a programmer) permission to write such software. This is because RIM's major customers are governments who want secure devices.

If you are looking to write a program that has an auto-answer, and it is not listed as a Controlled API, you may wish to contact RIM directly. It may be an undocumented API call.

There are supposedly more Controlled API calls becoming available with BlackBerryOS 4.0 which will prove useful to programmers. So it may be possible. I know that OS 4.0 is supposed to allow applications to make phone calls -- probably a Controlled API call that requires the special key.

Note: No, I don't know what other new Controlled API's exist in OS 4.0 ....
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 10-26-2004, 06:29 AM   #3
tdeboeser

Model: 8830
Carrier: verizon

Thanks, this actually helps. If I find something or god forbid, write something I will port.

Thanks again,

Tom
Closed Thread