Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM   #1
ansky0007

Model: 9530
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default Roaming and GSM Networks?

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, I have a storm 9530 and in my home area Verizon's network is very weak. I got the storm thinking that since it supported both CDMA and GSM that if I was in a weak area the storm would roam and be able to make calls on a GSM network.

When I loose CDMA signal all I get is a message stating "SIM CARD REJECTED" and I cant make or receive calls. Is there something I need to do or will Verizon not allow my storm to roam on a GSM network?
Old 12-29-2008, 09:18 PM   #2
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

You can't roam on a GSM network with a Vzn SIM card in it. To use it on GSM you have to put a GSM Sim in it and unlock it with a code (either from VZN or a 3rd party). Then you can use GSM for voice and data and even switch to CDMA for data/email if you're in another country to avoid excess charges.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:30 PM   #3
ansky0007

If verizon activated the SIM for global use would that not make a difference in the US? It just sucks that Verizon's signal is weak in my area and I was mis-informed about the dual mode capability of the 9530. I now extended my contract for another 2 years with Verizon with the storm upgrade.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #4
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky0007 View Post
If verizon activated the SIM for global use would that not make a difference in the US? It just sucks that Verizon's signal is weak in my area and I was mis-informed about the dual mode capability of the 9530. I now extended my contract for another 2 years with Verizon with the storm upgrade.
Well... that does suck, but if Verizon's signal is weak in your area, why did you re-extend your contract? AFAIK Verizon unlocking the global SIM already in the phone will not enable it to roam on GSM networks in the USA on that same SIM - I could be mistaken, but I think that the previous successes of getting to roam on North American GSM have been using a SIM from a GSM provider.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #5
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

Also, you could try calling Verizon and explaining the signal problem in your area and how you were misinformed about how the Storm can roam on GSM networks... but I really don't know how far that would get you. I have heard of some people being able to get out of their wireless contracts if engineers (technicians, what-have-you) can confirm that signal is in fact terrible where you live, but I have no personal first-hand knowledge of that happening. Please note also that I have no idea if that will actually work or not.

Last edited by rachamphetamine; 12-29-2008 at 10:35 PM.. Reason: clarification
Old 12-29-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
ansky0007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachamphetamine View Post
Well... that does suck, but if Verizon's signal is weak in your area, why did you re-extend your contract? AFAIK Verizon unlocking the global SIM already in the phone will not enable it to roam on GSM networks in the USA on that same SIM - I could be mistaken, but I think that the previous successes of getting to roam on North American GSM have been using a SIM from a GSM provider.
Verizon's network is weak here and I only get one to two bars on average at home. I work from home and it has not been an issue until recently. We are having a baby and my home office is being moved into the basement and that move killed the weak signal and now its hit or miss in the basement..
Old 01-04-2009, 12:20 PM   #7
samjlee

Carrier: Tmobile

I have an unlocked blackberry storm that I am using on tmobile service but it stays in roaming. Is this OK? I checked tmobile plan and it comes with roaming, but was wondering if I can do something to not roam.
Closed Thread