John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamerbeastie View Post
OK, so it has been a few days, and I have been experimenting....

I am having errors when I roll over onto or off of the T-Mo towers. I have realized, although I previously stated that it wasn't the issue, that bluetooth connections are causing the issue. For some reason, my router, the LinksysWRT54GS v7, is using the 2.4GHz frequency, as does th bluetooth.

Looking at T-Mobile's FAQ's.....

I tested this....
100% of the time, while on my BT headset, or near others(w/in 10-15ft) using BT, the Hand-off FAILED.

100% of the time, with BT disconnected, and no other BT users around(again w/in 10-15ft), the Hand-off SUCCEEDED.

Just for everyone's info......
Makes me wonder....would this affect bluetooth going the other direction? There have been folks who say that their bluetooth GPS's didn't work on the 8320. I wonder if it could be from the same interference with the wifi. just a theory....
Old 10-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #22
tdawg00
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8900
PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamerbeastie View Post
OK, so it has been a few days, and I have been experimenting....

I am having errors when I roll over onto or off of the T-Mo towers. I have realized, although I previously stated that it wasn't the issue, that bluetooth connections are causing the issue. For some reason, my router, the LinksysWRT54GS v7, is using the 2.4GHz frequency, as does th bluetooth.

Looking at T-Mobile's FAQ's.....

I tested this....
100% of the time, while on my BT headset, or near others(w/in 10-15ft) using BT, the Hand-off FAILED.

100% of the time, with BT disconnected, and no other BT users around(again w/in 10-15ft), the Hand-off SUCCEEDED.

Just for everyone's info......
he is telling the truth.... Apparently the spread spectrum is confusing the phone on what signal is wifi or not
Old 10-08-2007, 11:46 PM   #23
churchill
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 2423A5E5
Carrier: tmobile

Thats a little misleading. If you look at the freq's at 2.4 on your router from channels 1-11 you will see that there are ranges within 2.412 to 2.462
1=2.412
2=2.217
3=2.422
4=2.427
etc up to 11
11=2.462

Between these freq's are guard bands that prevent 'bleeding' into the other spaces that are so close together, so in order to have the kind of interference you are talking about you would need close to a planetary alignment to get it (except if you are standing next to the microwave which is all over the place). Try switching channels on your router till you find clear air and either download netstumbler (pc) or istumbler (mac) so you can see if your neighbour is on the same channel which is the more likely case if you have problems. Most routers come defaulted to channel 6 so you see alot of that. I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router at channel 11 (no one else near me does) and a wired wap54g repeating in the far reaches upstairs on channel 9 (which is also unused nearby). I do that so my laptops will switch and roam when I take them up and and down (I have a really large living space). I would check that out and see if you are not having difficulties there first.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:04 AM   #24
flamerbeastie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
PIN: N\A
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I am using Channel 11, and have tried switching channels, with no success.

Also, I am the only person in the area who has a Wi-Fi connection and I only have 1 router, as my living space is not that large.

Verizon Wireless BIS. Tour 9630. v4.7.1.40
Old 10-09-2007, 04:18 PM   #25
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T
Lightbulb 2WIRE router

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNAVY View Post
My 8320 should be arriving this week *fingers crossed* and I want to know if anyone on here has a 2wire dsl modem/router from AT&T and it if works with UMA? How do I dive in and look at all the available settings for this thing anyways? I know about http://home, but is there another way?

It's a 2wire 2701HG-B.
I have a 2WIRE router. It works GREAT with UMA while browsing the internet, OTA, etc. But it doesn't work well on calls (hence this dropped/failed calls thread!). Just enter your WEP key during wi-fi set up and create a name for the connection. There really are no options to configure the settings, such as QoS, etc.

Today I tried to switch the channel to something other than the default of 6 but then NOTHING worked and I ended up messing with all the computers in the house so I changed it back to the default and have just decided to set my left convenience key to "MANAGE CONNECTIONS" and turn off wi-fi and only use EDGE for calls (since I never have dropped calls on T-Mo's EDGE) until I need to go on the internet or download something OTA since I don't use H@H anyway. If I ever decide to go on H@H, I would get a T-Mo router, but maybe I would test the connections at a T-Mo hotspot first, just to make sure it isn't just my Curve that is acting up.

To access your 2WIRE settings, look for the big red 2 icon somewhere on your computer's toolbar/desktop and click on it. You should be able to access the 2WIRE homepage if your default AT&T browser is active. If you aren't using your default browser, then you'll have to call your dsl company and request it. (If you have the patience, you can ask the rep to transfer you to a tech to go through the settings with you.) Then you would enter the address as follows: http://XXX.XXX.X.XXX

Make sure to keep the number for future reference or bookmark the page on your browser.
Old 10-09-2007, 04:39 PM   #26
zGuy

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCgirl View Post
Today I tried to switch the channel to something other than the default of 6 but then NOTHING worked and I ended up messing with all the computers in the house so I changed it back to the default and have just decided to set my left convenience key to "MANAGE CONNECTIONS" and turn off wi-fi and only use EDGE for calls (since I never have dropped calls on T-Mo's EDGE) until I need to go on the internet or download something OTA since I don't use H@H anyway.
Precisely my scenario. One doesn't have to give up his/her 8320 to make calls via wi-fi, just switch to EDGE

Last edited by zGuy; 10-09-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Old 10-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #27
phjnky
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdraco View Post
1) Trying moving your access point. Sometimes higher is better.

Do a site survey and see what your signal strength is where you drop the calls.
The "site survey" utility in the phone is really useful. I didn't find it until yesterday. It reads levels real time from multiple access points so you can roam around and check things out.

It can be found @ options->wifi-connections->(menu)->wifi-diagnostics->(menu)->site survey-> menu/start.stop
Old 10-10-2007, 09:49 AM   #28
tdawg00

Well looks like I can join you guys. Every hour my phone drops the UMA connection, 6 hours later it drops the wifi connection all together until I manually power cycle the Wifi radio......The ish has gotten on my nerves. My very last nerves
Old 10-10-2007, 02:57 PM   #29
zGuy

First I thought it was only an issue with the (Apple's) Airport "n" router, but now -- clearly -- more people are having issues with dropped calls. Is it possible for RIM or T-Mo to come up with a more robust update, or is it a flaw in design? Is it fixable?
Old 10-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #30
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-Mobile

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:56 AM..
Old 10-10-2007, 06:57 PM   #31
tdawg00

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
Is the issue with dropped calls or simply becoming disconnected from the wireless router?

Dave

both in my case
Old 10-10-2007, 07:00 PM   #32
zGuy

Quote:
Is the issue with dropped calls or simply becoming disconnected from the wireless router?

Dave
I think it's the chicken and egg thing. But it is related to bad communication between the two devices. I know that the Airport "n" router is a problem but now I see more and more posts about other routers not doing the job either. Some folks appear to be able to talk for up to an hour before their calls are dropped and some people like myself experience a few seconds of voice before the call is dropped.
Of course, there are many folks that don't have this problem at all.... Go figure...

Last edited by zGuy; 10-10-2007 at 07:01 PM..
Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 PM   #33
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:58 AM..
Old 10-10-2007, 07:38 PM   #34
zGuy

Quote:
A good way to find out if this is a phone, router/ISP, or network problem is to test your device at a HotSpot location. If it works fine there, that points to a router/ISP issue. If you have the same issue that points more to the phone or the T-Mobile network as the cause of the issue.

Speaking for myself, I've had nothing but great UMA service so far with my Curve and Buffalo WHR-G125 router.

Dave
(Internet and emails work great, by the way.)
I know, in my case, as discussed here in a different thread, that the "n" in my router is the culprit. But I am not sure why others are having problems. I doubt so many phones are lemons. (Enough to make lemonade..!)
Old 10-10-2007, 09:57 PM   #35
sgtcasey

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-25-2007 at 02:58 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 12:49 AM   #36
tdawg00

Oh how I love not getting UMA and not holding it anymore.....

Last edited by tdawg00; 10-11-2007 at 12:51 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 01:11 AM   #37
tdawg00

Quote:
I am still connected to UMA. Sent and received several emails and did a bit of web surfing without issues. I am using a Buffalo WHR-G125 wireless router running DD-WRT v24 Beta and it's been running 9 days now without a powercycle. My wireless router is on channel 11 due to the neighbors all around me burning up channel 6 nicely. I am using WPA Personal-AES security.

tdawg00, have you tried using a different router? Does the router you have now have the latest firmware loaded onto it? One of the troubleshooting steps on that error per the Wi-Fi FAQ is to powercycle the router.

Dave
I holds the UMA connection for 10 mins and then back to EDGE. If I have to call someone via UMA I can power cycle my wifi radio and it will work until I hang up for at least 10 mios

I have the TMOBILE branded Linksys router. I have power cycled my phone and my router 6 times today well the router 6 time and 2 reboots of my phone and it stills looses connection to UMA

Last edited by John Clark; 12-26-2007 at 12:05 AM..
Old 10-11-2007, 01:23 AM   #38
tdawg00

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Tomorrow I will I do screenshots with the time on them. One shot with una and the next with uma connections lost with just edge
Old 10-11-2007, 01:41 AM   #39
tdawg00

Wirelessly posted (8320: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Update. I restarted the connection at 123 by 135 the connection was lost
Old 10-11-2007, 02:17 AM   #40
flar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by churchill View Post
Thats a little misleading. If you look at the freq's at 2.4 on your router from channels 1-11 you will see that there are ranges within 2.412 to 2.462
1=2.412
2=2.217
3=2.422
4=2.427
etc up to 11
11=2.462

Between these freq's are guard bands that prevent 'bleeding' into the other spaces that are so close together, so in order to have the kind of interference you are talking about you would need close to a planetary alignment to get it (except if you are standing next to the microwave which is all over the place). Try switching channels on your router till you find clear air and either download netstumbler (pc) or istumbler (mac) so you can see if your neighbour is on the same channel which is the more likely case if you have problems. Most routers come defaulted to channel 6 so you see alot of that. I have a linksys wrt54g wireless router at channel 11 (no one else near me does) and a wired wap54g repeating in the far reaches upstairs on channel 9 (which is also unused nearby). I do that so my laptops will switch and roam when I take them up and and down (I have a really large living space). I would check that out and see if you are not having difficulties there first.
I'm not sure which post you are referring to as "misleading", but the channel frequencies you list have to be taken with a grain of salt. Those channels have a defined frequency for the receivers and transmitters to tune into to communicate, but transmitters don't transmit perfectly on one frequency - they broadcast with a bell-shaped curve centered on the frequency.

The generally regarded rule of thumb is that you can expect the 3 channels on either side of a channel being used for WiFi to have a fair amount of noise on them - to the point that only channels 1, 6, and 11 are really recommended for clean communications. I tried to find the article I saw a few years ago that showed actual output from RF monitoring equipment showing the channel overlap, but all I could find was site after site that claimed you should choose 1, 6, or 11 all with some watered down colloquial reference to channel interference. Perhaps devices could have gotten cleaner over the years, but with the focus on low price I'd imagine that they are just as noisy today as they were a few years ago.

Other types of devices are typically even more noisy than this.
Closed Thread