Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #21
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Please Login to Remove!

Have a nice day!

Last edited by LunkHead; 09-17-2007 at 09:37 PM..
Old 09-17-2007, 08:44 PM   #22
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wait just a minute. You come in here, new user with no history here. Nobody knows you from anyone. You make some blanket statement about how Blackberry email can be hacked (which has never happened, BTW.) You post no evidence or information to support your claims then get condescending to the members here. Post something useful and people will listen. Post a rumor and nobody wants much to do with it.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:45 PM   #23
coastuser

Model: Pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

One last thought. This has been the most hostile and least helpful of any attempt to research an issue I have ever had. I hope you all feel good about it. I only wonder what would happen if you put all those sharp minds together to figure out how it could happen..... But maybe this forum is not what this is for.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #24
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

*moved to the rumor mill* until you can post some decent information on how you think it might have been done.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #25
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I feel perfectly fine about it, and will sleep very well tonight knowing my email is triple DES encrypted from end to end (yes, I pulled that from RIM's website).

Why would I try to figure out something that hasn't ever happened?

You are all smoke and mirrors. Mostly smoke.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:48 PM   #26
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastuser View Post
One last thought. This has been the most hostile and least helpful of any attempt to research an issue I have ever had. I hope you all feel good about it. I only wonder what would happen if you put all those sharp minds together to figure out how it could happen..... But maybe this forum is not what this is for.
It can't happen and did not happen.... How many times must you be told before it sinks in????

I case you missed this the 1st time....

Impossible

Have a nice day!

Kris

Last edited by LunkHead; 09-17-2007 at 08:50 PM..
Old 09-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #27
zuiko
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320

Why would you need to post on a message board to "research" this issue? Why don't you just ask your security expert how it is done?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:51 PM   #28
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
Why would you need to post on a message board to "research" this issue? Why don't you just ask your security expert how it is done?
ROFLMAO... I was going to ask this earlier but figured I'd let the OP stick foot further in mouth...
Old 09-17-2007, 08:59 PM   #29
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuiko View Post
Wow... who knew that RIM had hit squads on the payroll?
Beastie is for hire... AND.... He is packing heat now!!!
Old 09-17-2007, 09:01 PM   #30
coastuser

"In order to hack an email from the sever they'd almost have to be monitoring it at the exact second it came in, modified it, sent it, then sent a different reply back...."

Exactly. Why are you all dismissing this possibility out of hand.

You monitor and schedule to automatically release within one to two minutes. You read and decide whether to alter and it is still released within the time frame. No noticeable delays. When it goes out both sender and recipient receive the altered email.

Don't believe it. I don't really care. But you all need to learn some manners. When someone is really searching for honest answers, your bullying is BS.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:02 PM   #31
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900

To be fair, if there is an issue, I'd be interesting in hearing about the particulars of the handheld and messaging environment. Without the installation of a third-party application on to the device that can be used to remotely exploit, I honestly don't see an 'intercept and manipulate' mechanism as being possible. There's simply too much encryption involved, both on the device, on the infrastructure (at RIM) and in the transport itself.

I'd be interested in hearing more, although there's more than enough reasons for skepticism. I personally don't think the BlackBerry solution is 100% secure - it'd be sheepish to think so - however, there's not many reasons to doubt the integrity of the solution... at this point, that is. We've all seen that it's possible (calendar buffer overflow, installed third-party hijack, etc), but these efforts were minimal exposure and have since been patched by RIM.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:03 PM   #32
coastuser

PS Most people do not know how to encrypt their email.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:05 PM   #33
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

You obviously do care, or you would have logged off and stopped replying.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:06 PM   #34
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
"In order to hack an email from the sever they'd almost have to be monitoring it at the exact second it came in, modified it, sent it, then sent a different reply back...."

Exactly. Why are you all dismissing this possibility out of hand.

You monitor and schedule to automatically release within one to two minutes. You read and decide whether to alter and it is still released within the time frame. No noticeable delays. When it goes out both sender and recipient receive the altered email.

Don't believe it. I don't really care. But you all need to learn some manners. When someone is really searching for honest answers, your bullying is BS.
Oh good lord... I thought you were leaving?????

You are talking about a split second they'd have to intercept, change and send off... Post something meaningful that proves your point or please let the door close on the way out....

Have a great day!

Kris
Old 09-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #35
djm2
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9780

My prediction is that we have someone from a competitor who is planting Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Classic negative marketing tricks.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #36
coastuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi View Post
To be fair, if there is an issue, I'd be interesting in hearing about the particulars of the handheld and messaging environment. Without the installation of a third-party application on to the device that can be used to remotely exploit, I honestly don't see an 'intercept and manipulate' mechanism as being possible. There's simply too much encryption involved, both on the device, on the infrastructure (at RIM) and in the transport itself.

I'd be interested in hearing more, although there's more than enough reasons for skepticism. I personally don't think the BlackBerry solution is 100% secure - it'd be sheepish to think so - however, there's not many reasons to doubt the integrity of the solution... at this point, that is. We've all seen that it's possible (calendar buffer overflow, installed third-party hijack, etc), but these efforts were minimal exposure and have since been patched by RIM.
Thank you for this reasoned response. I know it is being investigated by RIM and not being dismissed out of hand for which we are very grateful. They are handling it in a very responsible manner so far. They are still working through the particulars and the potential paths. I am not savvy technically so do not know what a third party application actually means. If you explain it in lay terms, I can respond. I only know what happened and am trying to figure out how. I always use my BB and have felt entirely secure. But now have to deal with this.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:12 PM   #37
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by djm2 View Post
My prediction is that we have someone from a competitor who is planting Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt. Classic negative marketing tricks.

I don't think a competitor would come up with something this lame...

I am sure they could come up with something that is far more plausible than this....
Old 09-17-2007, 09:14 PM   #38
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Thank you for this reasoned response. I know it is being investigated by RIM and not being dismissed out of hand for which we are very grateful. They are handling it in a very responsible manner so far. They are still working through the particulars and the potential paths. I am not savvy technically so do not know what a third party application actually means. If you explain it in lay terms, I can respond. I only know what happened and am trying to figure out how. I always use my BB and have felt entirely secure. But now have to deal with this.
He said he wanted details.... Just like we have been asking for since about post #6.... Oye... I am done with this thread.... Enjoy the stay here.....

Last edited by LunkHead; 09-17-2007 at 09:36 PM..
Old 09-17-2007, 09:26 PM   #39
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
..... it's obvious from info readily available on the web that this is not only possible but happening.
I am curious to see what info you have already found on the web. Can you post the links to this information?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:29 PM   #40
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I am curious to see what info you have already found on the web. Can you post the links to this information?
He'd post them if he could but it's a safety issue...
Closed Thread