Old 04-19-2009, 10:36 PM   #41
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacobsaby View Post
For those of you who complain about the Storm's battery life..I don't think you would enjoy Wi-Fi very much...it will cut your battery life substantially.
WiFi actually makes my battery last longer. It takes less time to download stuff compared to EDGE and the connection is way stronger because the router is right here. I don't understand why people say it drains the battery more. It's just the opposite for me.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #42
skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillbit View Post
The most likely reason why the Storm doesn't have Wifi, is most probably because they ran out of real estate in the motherboard after implementing additional GSM support circuitry. Though it does not explain the lack of such on the 9500.
The storm was designed specifically to meet the demands of verizon and vodafone, if those carriers had wanted wifi then it would have been on there.

Quote:
I expect them to have OLED.
Then i expect you to be disappointed with the screens on new blackberries for at least a year then, there is still room for rim to go with increasing resolution if they deem it needed and they can ease into the use of oled once its price suits them.

Quote:
I don't see why not. HTC appears to reuse the same motherboard and processor between the Touch 3G, the Touch Diamond, the Touch Pros, and even with their Android phones.

The Storm currently appears to share the same processor with the Curve 8900, the 8350 and the Pearl Flip. Likely to be the same 528MHz Qualcomm chip the HTCs are using on the above. The Bold maybe using the same 624MHz Marvell processor used on the Samsung Omnia.
The storm doesn't use the same processor as the 8900 or pearl flip since its made bade qualcomm and the other two aren't.

Look at the timeframes for release of the HTC devices, those are all much closer together than the storm/bold releases and any potential release of a storm 2. If the storm 2 was to share a processor with any devices its most likely to be the other highend models that rim are releasing at the time such as the curve 3g or whatever they release as a bold update.

Quote:
HTC literally did that when they turned the Diamond into the Touch Pro.
That wasn't their first slider design though, while it's likely to see slider designs from rim at some point, its far more likely that it would be a separate product and be quite heavily promoted on that basis rather than tagging along as one of a pair of products.
Old 04-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #43
skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigNewt View Post
WiFi actually makes my battery last longer. It takes less time to download stuff compared to EDGE and the connection is way stronger because the router is right here. I don't understand why people say it drains the battery more. It's just the opposite for me.
It drains the battery more because its an additional radio unless you are actively switching off the ones that you are not using anyway.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:00 PM   #44
complexx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
You leave you WIFI on 24/7?
Old 04-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #45
cakvalasc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330m
PIN: 307B4E7D
Carrier: Sprint

I bet they release the Storm 2 soon just due to the overwhelming complaints people have sent in.
T-mobile 8800 > Sprint 8330m > Sprint 9630
Old 04-24-2009, 04:22 AM   #46
skeevecr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakvalasc View Post
I bet they release the Storm 2 soon just due to the overwhelming complaints people have sent in.
What overwhelming complaints? Even if there were any, that would make them less likely to rush it out since there wouldn't be a great reception for it, rim will do their usual thing when a new device has problems, they will release updated software for them unlike other companies that simply cast adrift their not quite brand new hardware as soon as its launched.
Old 04-24-2009, 04:42 PM   #47
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by complexx View Post
You leave you WIFI on 24/7?
Yeah. Somebody said that because it's an extra radio it drains the battery faster but I don't think it does. There's only one radio (EDGE or WiFi) running at a time depending on what you're doing (no simultaneous voice/data on the 8900 remember). The stronger radio (WiFi usually) wins. May be different with the Bold/3g system though. I get 3 days easy with WiFi on totally.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #48
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Quote:
Yeah. Somebody said that because it's an extra radio it drains the battery faster but I don't think it does. There's only one radio (EDGE or WiFi) running at a time depending on what you're doing (no simultaneous voice/data on the 8900 remember). The stronger radio (WiFi usually) wins. May be different with the Bold/3g system though. I get 3 days easy with WiFi on totally.
It does drain your battery faster. Even you are not actively connected to a WiFi network, your device is looking for one. Also, if you are using WiFi, then both radios are on and transmitting/receiving because the GSM/GPRS/EDGE/3G network is available for for phone calls and SMS (unless it has been manually turned off).
Old 04-25-2009, 06:42 AM   #49
Mh0user

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon

lol at all this storm 2 nonsense it's just going to be another storm with wifi and a sure touch screen like the iphone

member iphone...non 3g....and now we have a 3g iphone...kinda makes sense ;p
Old 04-27-2009, 09:25 AM   #50
Codito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc/dc View Post
It does drain your battery faster. Even you are not actively connected to a WiFi network, your device is looking for one. Also, if you are using WiFi, then both radios are on and transmitting/receiving because the GSM/GPRS/EDGE/3G network is available for for phone calls and SMS (unless it has been manually turned off).
Unless you have a UMA phone in which case all your phone and sms is also done over wifi. It's very nice, texts go even faster.
Closed Thread