Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 AM   #1
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-mobile UK
Default Latest OS in UK (.141)

Please Login to Remove!

I go this from BB today:

"An update of BlackBerry Device Software version 4.7 is available. This update includes optimizations and enhancements approved by your wireless service provider." My provider is Vodafone UK.

I have done the update (from 4.7.0.122 to 4.7.0.141) but I have not yet noticed any difference. Does anyone know what has changed?
Old 05-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
bogman
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by spierian View Post
I go this from BB today:

"An update of BlackBerry Device Software version 4.7 is available. This update includes optimizations and enhancements approved by your wireless service provider." My provider is Vodafone UK.

I have done the update (from 4.7.0.122 to 4.7.0.141) but I have not yet noticed any difference. Does anyone know what has changed?
Did you get this from the Blackberry website? I thought .141 was a leaked beta only at this stage.

For me when I moved from .122 to .144 (via .131) I found a lot of performance improvements. Everything was generally a bit faster.
Old 05-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
gazlusk

Model: 9500
PIN: 20D4D6AD
Carrier: Vodafone UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogman View Post
Did you get this from the Blackberry website? I thought .141 was a leaked beta only at this stage.

For me when I moved from .122 to .144 (via .131) I found a lot of performance improvements. Everything was generally a bit faster.
i got this update too, automatically asked me to update when i conected to desktop manager this morning. Dont know what has changed though.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:25 AM   #4
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Bogman asked : "Did you get this from the Blackberry website? I thought .141 was a leaked beta only at this stage."

It came from [email address], presumably because I have registered to receive notifications. Maybe it was beta and is now released.

Last edited by spierian; 05-07-2009 at 02:28 AM..
Old 05-07-2009, 10:17 AM   #5
ianjay1956

Carrier: Vodafone UK

.141 has now been officially released by Vodafone for Storm 9500 - its mentioned on their forum so its not beta anymore - but beware .141 has a lock problem - the locked phone can simply be unlocked by any of the 4 buttons on the front. There is a fix using CRACKUTIL - it worked perfectly for me
Old 05-07-2009, 01:48 PM   #6
SVX90
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: 220444c4
Carrier: Etisalat

The link is no good. The download bar would reach up 33% and stops.
Old 05-07-2009, 03:14 PM   #7
spierian
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX90 View Post
The link is no good. The download bar would reach up 33% and stops.
The link I got from Blackberry email worked:

BlackBerry - Update your Device Software
Old 05-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #8
krv005

Model: Storm
Carrier: Vodafone

My network Provider is Vodafone UK...Got my STORM 9500 this March (2009).
While I checked in my phone it says the version is ''v4.7.0.78 (Platform 4.0.0.98).
Can you please let me know if this is a recent version. If not please tell me the upgrade to this version of OS and where I cud get the update from...???
Thanks for al ur help in advance...!

KRV
Old 05-08-2009, 02:17 AM   #9
krv005

Default Is v4.7.0.78 advanced or v4.7.0.141?? Please help.

My network Provider is Vodafone UK...Got my STORM 9500 this March (2009).
While I checked in my phone it says the version is ''v4.7.0.78 (Platform 4.0.0.98).
Can you please let me know if this is a recent version. If not please tell me the upgrade to this version of OS and where I cud get the update from...???
Thanks for al ur help in advance...!

KRV
Quote:
Originally Posted by spierian View Post
I go this from BB today:

Old 05-08-2009, 08:16 PM   #10
spatch
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianjay1956 View Post
.141 has now been officially released by Vodafone for Storm 9500 - its mentioned on their forum so its not beta anymore - but beware .141 has a lock problem - the locked phone can simply be unlocked by any of the 4 buttons on the front. There is a fix using CRACKUTIL - it worked perfectly for me
I have just updated and it seems beyond belief that after waiting so long for an official update, it has a bug that allows the lock to be unlocked using any of the 4 keys. Shite is the word that springs to mind. Apart from that it seems that it may be marginally quicker but not a significant improvement over .75.

You mention CRACKUTIL to fix the unlocking issue, where do you get this from?

Thanks
Mark
Old 05-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #11
spatch

I have found what appears to be another bug with .141. When trying or setting message alerts it does not now play the sound when the sound is either highlighted from the dropdown menu or if the 'Try It' button is pressed.

I think I am going to go back to .75 as this always worked reasonably well for me. I have to say again that it is poor that after all this time, the official software release turns out to be more buggy than the version it replaces (whilst in my opinion not measurably improving the performance).

Mark
Old 05-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by spatch View Post
I have found what appears to be another bug with .141. When trying or setting message alerts it does not now play the sound when the sound is either highlighted from the dropdown menu or if the 'Try It' button is pressed.

I think I am going to go back to .75 as this always worked reasonably well for me. I have to say again that it is poor that after all this time, the official software release turns out to be more buggy than the version it replaces (whilst in my opinion not measurably improving the performance).

Mark
It works fine for me. Do not go back to .75. From what I've read, .122 is good and has no bugs. Although .141 has that unlock bug, I am pleased with it because it's fast. BTW when you remove the phone out of the holster, and when you press those 4 buttons, it means that you actually want to do something with your phone, so this bug is not annoying. I think it's useful.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:57 AM   #13
spatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirlok View Post
It works fine for me. Do not go back to .75. From what I've read, .122 is good and has no bugs. Although .141 has that unlock bug, I am pleased with it because it's fast. BTW when you remove the phone out of the holster, and when you press those 4 buttons, it means that you actually want to do something with your phone, so this bug is not annoying. I think it's useful.
Hi, are you saying that the sound works on yours when selecting alerts or ring tones? If so, then maybe I will try to install the software again.

Cheers,
Old 05-11-2009, 09:04 AM   #14
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

When I installed the .141, I didn't check alerts or anything, so when you posted that bug I tried it, and it worked. I went to SMS message alerts and it worked. Also, I went to my custom profile clicked Try It and it worked. Please note that it works even when you highlight the alert. I don't know why it doesn't work for you, try a battery pull or use QuickPull if you have it.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #15
spatch

Quote:
When I installed the .141, I didn't check alerts or anything, so when you posted that bug I tried it, and it worked. I went to SMS message alerts and it worked. Also, I went to my custom profile clicked Try It and it worked. Please note that it works even when you highlight the alert. I don't know why it doesn't work for you, try a battery pull or use QuickPull if you have it.
Yes, tried battery pull and this has not helped. I will see if a software reload will work, assuming that I can do this through DM where I am uploading software of the same version that is currently running on the phone?
Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #16
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Yes, tried battery pull and this has not helped. I will see if a software reload will work, assuming that I can do this through DM where I am uploading software of the same version that is currently running on the phone?
I don't know... just re-install. It shouldn't take too long. It took me about 20 minutes as I didn't have too much data to back-up.
Old 05-11-2009, 01:07 PM   #17
spatch

Quote:
I don't know... just re-install. It shouldn't take too long. It took me about 20 minutes as I didn't have too much data to back-up.
Yes, I will re-install using the .exe downloaded from the Vodafone website.

A question - last time I updated via the DM, this time I will be using just the downloaded .exe file (from sticky above). Will I have to resend the service books this time as I didn't have to this when upgrading with the DM?

I have done a quick search but can anybody enlighten me to what exactly is happening when the service books are resent?

Thanks,
Old 05-11-2009, 01:48 PM   #18
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Yes, I will re-install using the .exe downloaded from the Vodafone website.

A question - last time I updated via the DM, this time I will be using just the downloaded .exe file (from sticky above). Will I have to resend the service books this time as I didn't have to this when upgrading with the DM?

I have done a quick search but can anybody enlighten me to what exactly is happening when the service books are resent?

Thanks,
I installed via the downloaded.exe file that you can find in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader. Remember to delete the vendor.xml file. I didn't resend the Service Books, they are there, but I am not sure if it's the same for everybody.
Old 05-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #19
spatch

Thanks, will give it another go tonight. Hopefully I will get my sounds back!
Old 05-11-2009, 03:42 PM   #20
pirlok
Thumbs Must Hurt

Goodluck! I hope it works, too!
Closed Thread