Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:27 AM   #1
SchmutzBerry
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8800
Carrier: Evil Mr. Rogers
Default Rogers 25 mb limit

Please Login to Remove!

I just bought a 7290 and signed up with Rogers. I assumed I was getting unlimited data, but have been reading with horror on this site and the ones linked from it, about people being charged megabucks for going over this limit, that with an html browser would be quite easy to do.
I was never told about this limit when I signed up.
I could and would have gotten a 7250 at Bell had I known.
Is it too late?
Should I try to cancel my new purchase and switch?
Aren't they being highly unethical by not making the 25 mb limit clear? Why do they advertise it as unlimited? They advertise the limits clearly on the other packages. This seems to me extreme false advertising.
Old 03-02-2005, 12:33 AM   #2
p_dizzo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: BM
Default Re: Rogers 25 mb limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchmutzBerry
I just bought a 7290 and signed up with Rogers. I assumed I was getting unlimited data, but have been reading with horror on this site and the ones linked from it, about people being charged megabucks for going over this limit, that with an html browser would be quite easy to do.
Is it too late?
Aren't they being highly unethical by not making the 25 mb limit clear? Why do they advertise it as unlimited? They advertise the limits clearly on the other packages. This seems to me extreme false advertising.
when did you purchase the unit? they should have something within 30 days as a policy to cancel and get a refund(and probably just pay the usage you might have built up)

although rogers have capped at 25mb, it isn't something likely to be passed unless you are planning to use services like verichat or other data intensive apps... of course, if you do want to go for the 7250, i can't stop ya, it's one awesome bb!
Old 03-02-2005, 12:44 AM   #3
SchmutzBerry

Default Re: Rogers 25 mb limit

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_dizzo
Quote:
Is it too late?
when did you purchase the unit? they should have something within 30 days as a policy to cancel and get a refund(and probably just pay the usage you might have built up)

although rogers have capped at 25mb, it isn't something likely to be passed unless you are planning to use services like verichat or other data intensive apps... of course, if you do want to go for the 7250, i can't stop ya, it's one awesome bb!
p_dizzo,
I just got it this weekend.
Is there any real difference between the 7250 and the 7290, they seem identical. Is the Bell CDMA faster?
Not sure I wouldn't pass it, as wouldn't web browsing add up?
This may be a newbie question, but if I receive a large attachment, but don't open it on my device, will this count toward my usage?
Thanks!
Old 03-02-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
da_law
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Bell

I just got the 7250 for Bell, it's an amazing machine. If you are worried about your usage, you should definately consider signing up with Bell as their unlimited usage allows you more than 25MB.

Some other benefits of Bell include better voice plans and coverage across Canada. As far as the downloads go, I believe that if you do not open the attachments, it will not count towards your usage.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:32 AM   #5
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Just to clarify,

Rogers $60 Unlimited* Plan = 25 meg cap
Bell Mobility $60 Unlimited* Plan = 100 meg cap

Count on purchasing BES/MDS hosting service if you go with Bell Mobility and you want to run third-party Internet applications such as VeriChat AIM/ICQ/MSN.

Although Bell is great for certain areas (i.e. Atlantic provinces), recently, Rogers gained much better better reception in most parts of Ontario, with the GSM850 deployment and the Fido bandwidth merger.

Also, all emails count towards your usage -- approximately 1 to 2 kilobytes per email. Opening attachments downloads a pre-compressed version of the attachment. For example, opening a 1 megabyte image only downloads about 20 kilobytes to the BlackBerry, because the image is pre-downconverted to BlackBerry size before downloading.
www.xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0301.html - specification
www.realjabber.org - open source
Old 03-02-2005, 06:05 AM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

I don't care how many e-mails you get, the way to blow through the 25MB cap is to use chat/AIM constantly. I browse a lot; I get hundreds of e-mails (I have never been real thrilled with the BES' attachment handling), and rarely - RARELY - go over 5MB on T-Mobile.

Of course, I do not use Verichat, or IM, or use my BB as a modem.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
SchmutzBerry

Thaks guys for all the help!
This is a great place.
I'll have to decide. I'm pretty happy with my device and would rather not go through the process of refund, repurchase, if not necessary.
Why does IM take up so much memory? Do the other IM programs, other than verichat, which maybe didn't get as good a review, take up less bandwidth?
And on a different note, do either Bell or Rogers allow you to synchronize your device to your computer? Or is there no way to do that without belonging to a corporate exchange server. Thanks
Old 03-02-2005, 09:50 AM   #8
SchmutzBerry

Quote:
This is a great place.
I'll have to decide. I'm pretty happy with my device and would rather not go through the process of refund, repurchase, if not necessary.
Why does IM take up so much memory? Do the other IM programs, other than verichat, which maybe didn't get as good a review, take up less bandwidth?
And on a different note, do either Bell or Rogers allow you to synchronize your device to your computer? Or is there no way to do that without belonging to a corporate exchange server. Thanks
oops...for the bottom part i meant 'wirelessly synchronize'.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:56 AM   #9
SchmutzBerry

Quote:
Quote:
This is a great place.
oops...for the bottom part i meant 'wirelessly synchronize'.
this thread http://www.blackberryforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=20472
appears to make it seem possible on Rogers without an extra monthly fee...am I correct on this?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:53 AM   #10
AlvinHsu

Hmm, I was under the impression that "wireless synchronization" was a BES exclusive feature. It'd be awesome if it wasn't BES exclusive as I'd be all over getting a 7250 from my Treo 600.

I tried to find that part of that thread but I must be blind or something, could you quote the text that seemed to give you that impression?I just got the impression that the thread was about "How to Configure Full Internet Access On BlackBerry " but hey! It's 3 AM and I'm not completely familiar with all the BB jargon yet so I may have missed something vitally important in that post.

Quote:
Mark Rejhon - Just to clarify,

If they're the same price and coverage is the same for you. Wouldn't it be worth the hassle to have a higher cap? Especially given that BB devices aren't cheap, monthly plans aren't cheap and I'm assuming you're on a contract too. If you have nothing against the alternative carrier which if offering you a much better deal --- you'd be crazy not to switch. Just give it some more thought while you still have the chance to would be my 2cents

Quote:
P-dizzo "when did you purchase the unit? they should have something within 30 days as a policy to cancel and get a refund(and probably just pay the usage you might have built up)"

SchmutzBerry "I'll have to decide. I'm pretty happy with my device and would rather not go through the process of refund, repurchase, if not necessary."
I'd call the store you purchased the unit from ASAP because I've had a customer tell me that they purchased something from a "unnamed dealer" which offered a 10 day/100 minute return policy which is pretty short. But that's not even the scary part... there was a mysterious 15% restocking fee involved that came out of nowhere and they had made it pretty clear they might not be sticking with the product in the first place.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your choice - I just hope I don't see you posting down the road about "I wished I switched carriers when I had the chance" :D
Old 03-03-2005, 06:24 AM   #11
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

I have no contract. I can switch anytime.

Bell Mobility isn't superior to Rogers, though. There are so many places in Ontario that Rogers now has reception that Bell Mobility does not. (There are a few special exceptions where vice-versa is the case)

This may change when Bell more fully changes their old 800 Mhz spectrum over to CDMA, like they have in other parts of Canada...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #12
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots

Rogers Wireless has a 100meg for $100 a month plan now...
Old 03-03-2005, 09:25 AM   #13
headtailgrep
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 950
Carrier: robbers

Where?
Old 03-03-2005, 01:51 PM   #14
SchmutzBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinHsu
Hmm, I was under the impression that "wireless synchronization" was a BES exclusive feature. It'd be awesome if it wasn't BES exclusive as I'd be all over getting a 7250 from my Treo 600.

I tried to find that part of that thread but I must be blind or something, could you quote the text that seemed to give you that impression?I just got the impression that the thread was about "How to Configure Full Internet Access On BlackBerry " but hey! It's 3 AM and I'm not completely familiar with all the BB jargon yet so I may have missed something vitally important in that post.

Quote:
Mark Rejhon - Just to clarify,

If they're the same price and coverage is the same for you. Wouldn't it be worth the hassle to have a higher cap? Especially given that BB devices aren't cheap, monthly plans aren't cheap and I'm assuming you're on a contract too. If you have nothing against the alternative carrier which if offering you a much better deal --- you'd be crazy not to switch. Just give it some more thought while you still have the chance to would be my 2cents

Quote:
P-dizzo "when did you purchase the unit? they should have something within 30 days as a policy to cancel and get a refund(and probably just pay the usage you might have built up)"

SchmutzBerry "I'll have to decide. I'm pretty happy with my device and would rather not go through the process of refund, repurchase, if not necessary."
I'd call the store you purchased the unit from ASAP because I've had a customer tell me that they purchased something from a "unnamed dealer" which offered a 10 day/100 minute return policy which is pretty short. But that's not even the scary part... there was a mysterious 15% restocking fee involved that came out of nowhere and they had made it pretty clear they might not be sticking with the product in the first place.

Whatever you choose, good luck with your choice - I just hope I don't see you posting down the road about "I wished I switched carriers when I had the chance" :D
Thanks Alvin. I still can't decide. I'm kind of hoping that Rogers will simply switch their policy soon to be like Bell. They can't keep this policy with the new html devices and 4.o can they.
As for the wireless synch, I've set it up, and it works like magic!!!!
But, of course it's extra money 10$/month.
www.citynt.com
I had a bit of problem setting it up, but tech support was very quick and helpful.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:52 PM   #15
SchmutzBerry

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
and so Bell has 100 mb cap for 60$?
Old 03-03-2005, 09:56 PM   #16
Mark Rejhon
Retired BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
Yes, but not for BlackBerry data.

If for BlackBerry, this is new. Where did you hear about this?
Closed Thread