Old 05-19-2005, 10:17 AM   #21
coreyg510
BBF Veteran

Model: 8700c
Carrier: Cingular

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeshi
This is definitely normal for the Cingular 7290's. Possibly other models but we only have 7290's from Cingular. Ours cause interference with computer speakers, phones, radios, and the audio systems in our conference rooms. The latter is a real issue as mostly our executives have the Cingular 7290's. It really doesn't matter if a speaker is powered or not and the interference is easily caused at distances of six feet and more.

As I said, the same Cingular 7290's when equipped with T-Mobile SIM's do not cause interference until the device is right next to a speaker. None of our T-Mobile 6230's or 7230's cause interference until placed inches away from a speaker. We have some Nextel Blackberries as well but they are only used in our eastern division as Nextel provides better coverage out there but I have no first hand experience with them.

Yes, all GSM phones cause interference but not all to the same degree. Your carrier -- or, more accurately, the frequencies used by your carrier since T-Mo doesn't use 850MHz -- can make a difference as to how bad the interference is as well.
Then I would take your phones back. I have a 7290 Cingular and have had minimal, i repeat, minimal problems with buzzing and never from 6 feet away. there are times when if the volume is really low on the car radio it will buzz for a second or two while gathering data. other than that, no buzz
Old 05-19-2005, 11:04 PM   #22
spasmonaut

Carrier: ATT

Welcome to wireless...any TDMA-based device including GSM devices will be plagued with this until shielded properly. If you're only just noticing it with a particular device, consider yourself lucky and will agree that I didn't seem to notice it as much with Verizon but I still got it then too.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:36 AM   #23
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyg510
Then I would take your phones back. I have a 7290 Cingular and have had minimal, i repeat, minimal problems with buzzing and never from 6 feet away. there are times when if the volume is really low on the car radio it will buzz for a second or two while gathering data. other than that, no buzz

Should have clarified that -- the intereference occurs on cheap/poorly shielded electronic devices at that distance. We have an abundance of really crappy computer speakers that will pick up one of the local Tejano stations and the board room mics were not shielded at all (lots of excess cabling acting as an antenna as well).

It's less of a problem with the better equipment, but Cingular SIM-med devices still cause interference at noticably greater distances than their T-Mobile SIM-med counterparts.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:50 AM   #24
spasmonaut

Carrier: ATT

I think it's funny when the overhead speakers in our conference and training rooms pick up our devices sitting at our workstations about 15 feet away and broadcast it over the presentation but we all just ignore it as we're so used to it. Shielded equipment elsewhere in the place is a nice feature that we've all come to love.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:21 PM   #25
JSmith08

Model: 7290
Post Any developments on this topic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talldog
FYI, here's what I got from my RIM engineer last October, regarding this issue:

This is a known issue and actually is common on many GPRS devices. This will be fixed in 2005. See below for details:

RIM currently has Engineering resources in the audio, RF and certification groups that are working toward meeting new FCC requirements applicable to mobile phones under the Hearing Aid Compatibility Act of 1988 that come into effect in mid 2005. One element of this effort is to reduce the RF interference on all of our products, which works toward alleviating the user experience described in this letter.

Does anyone know if RIM has made the fixes referenced above?
Old 12-24-2005, 07:41 PM   #26
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

They might have. The 8700c isn't as bad as the 7290 when using 850Mhz but it will still cause nearby speakers to buzz.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:20 PM   #27
thebeezer
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7130
Default the buzz is everywhere

I work in the corporate Av world and the BlackBerry buzz is everywhere. I am talking about professionally installed shielded high end systems and they still pick up the BlackBerry RF. Most cabling acts like an antenna and the blackberry RF is strong, even with channels down it still gets into the system. This is a GSM issue only as far as I know, my 7130 on the Telus network does not do this.
Old 12-29-2005, 01:41 PM   #28
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

If you think GSM is bad, try any Nextel phone with Direct Connect. Press the Direct Connect buttons and you will get tons of radio interference. Then try it next to a computer monitor, but dont do it too long or you will damage the monitor.

Doug
Old 01-06-2006, 03:08 PM   #29
stonent
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
PIN: FFFFFFFF
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by nobbie
My IT person said she can exchange it.
I guess your IT person is not very smart, and/or has never owned a cell phone before.

Prior: BES: 7510, 7520, 7290, 7230, 7130, 8220 (No Data Plan), Droid Eris
Post your question on the forum, don't PM me.
Old 01-06-2006, 03:59 PM   #30
Donna
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: t / Quart
Carrier: VZ

Most of my users have their PC under the desk, so I install the BlackBerry cradle/USB cable on top of the PC. It's close enough for them to readily access the BlackBerry while the desk acts as an insulator and as a result the feedback noise from the telephone or desktop speakers is eliminated.
Old 02-17-2006, 03:23 PM   #31
aklaum

So what are we saying then? Just deal with it? It is 2006 now, did they come out with a fix? I can't imagine what the fix would be other than getting a new Blackberry. My Cingular 7290 is terrible in this regard. Every speaker in the house from 8 even 10 feet away. Makes my monitor go crazy. Even makes my RollerMouse go nuts. I can't imagine what it is pumping through my skull when I use it.

I love my Blackberry but it seems like the FCC ought to be having a fit about this kind of thing. Are there any kind of shielded cases/gloves out there? Can I wrap it in tinfoil? Anything?
Old 09-06-2006, 12:55 PM   #32
kallen@amerimax.com

Model: 7100g
Default Need Quality Speakers?

With All this Said I need to fing the Pres of my Company some speakers for his PC that will not buzz like this it is driving him nutz and in turn he is driving me nutz!!! does anyone know of a good quality shielded pc speaker that can help reduce thr RF interference or stop it all together?

Old 09-07-2006, 08:59 AM   #33
CChoi83
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.0) BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

It probably won't help to get new one.I have the same problem as well at home. My subwoofer makes a buzzing noise whenever my 8700 is transmitting data.
Old 12-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #34
GrinningFool

Model: 9000

Mine new-ish (6 mos) 8700 also doing this -- and for whatever reason, the particular sound it generates makes me feel violent. I've come "this close" to chucking the BB across the room just to make it stop ;) And forget even having the BB turned on if I want to listen to anything on noise canceling headphones or talk on my landline corded headset...

I saw from a 2005 post in this thread that this was something that was supposedly being addressed. Does anyone have any more recent info on that?
Old 12-21-2006, 10:42 PM   #35
Reasons unknown

Model: 8700c
Default Chatter on GFCI outlet

I have new (3 months) 8700c and have learned to tolerate the annoying interference on speakers (car, computer, tv, clock radio, etc).

I was, however, recently amazed when by BB was sitting on a small ledge over a GFCI outlet in my kitchen. There was a loud chatter coming from the outlet which I thought was just a deffective GFCI. Turns out it was the phone updating (validated by turning the phone on and off in the location and recreating the interference).

I would have to say it now concerns me carrying this around in my pocket all day......
Old 01-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #36
mlkimmey

Default Blackberry Buzz Prevention

The Blackberry-induced buzz on my speakers and headset phone (the amplifier cradle was between the two) was driving me crazy, so I started experimenting with ways to attenuate the RF interference. I found that a simple sheet of aluminum foil is a field expedient solution. I took a 24-inch length, folded six inches in from the long ends to provide stability, which then formed a U. When rested on its side, it's about 12 inches high. I placed this around my Blackberry with the open end to the front, and the buzz problem went away. There does not appear to be any interference with the operation of my Blackberry. It LOOKS funny sitting on my desk, but I can live with that. Next step is figure out how short I can cut it without the problem coming back, and then asking someone to bend a small piece of tin to the same dimensions.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:10 AM   #37
Hitek146

Model: 7280

There were extensive tests done years ago to see if the RF from standard cell phones does any damage to organic tissue(your brain), and they couldn't find any link to cancer, or anything. It was on a documentary or something...

The sound that you are hearing is voice coil of the speaker being energized by the electromagnetic field produced by the cell phones radio transmitter. A speaker voice coil is technically an "inductor", which is often used in circuitry for it's magnetic and resonant properties. This makes it an excellent "antenna", and a speaker's voice coil design is almost identical to that of the antenna used on standard metal detectors(aka treasure finders). Couple their RF sensitivity with the fact that the speakers cone structure will highly amplify any voice coil resonation in the audible frequency range, and you have yourself a very efficient RF receiver/amplifier, although of admittedly useless bandwidth. Almost any speaker is capable of this, although shielded speakers will block most of this. Most speakers aren't well shielded, though, and this includes some very high-end speaker with cabinets made only of wood. While the actual drivers, themselves, inside the cabinet may have some built-in shielding, the increased efficiency of the more expensive driver will make them that much more sensitive in the first place. Couple that with the fact that the larger driver size(likely the woofer or subwoofer) in a typical home tower enclosure amplify whatever is picked up by the voice coil even more than a small speaker, and you could see how it might be quite loud also...

All of this with no active amplification... Cool, huh???

Edit: Forgot to say that, as partially mentioned before, the amount of interference can depend greatly on the frequency range that the phone is operating in, and this can depend on what carrier's SIM is installed in the multi-band phone. Since lower frequencies inherently travel further over a given distance with less loss than a higher frequency, Nextel's iDEN network has been one of the worst, operating in the 800-900MHz range...

Last edited by Hitek146; 02-10-2007 at 02:29 AM..
Old 02-14-2007, 01:20 AM   #38
Hitek146

Model: 7280

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlkimmey
The Blackberry-induced buzz on my speakers and headset phone (the amplifier cradle was between the two) was driving me crazy, so I started experimenting with ways to attenuate the RF interference. I found that a simple sheet of aluminum foil is a field expedient solution. I took a 24-inch length, folded six inches in from the long ends to provide stability, which then formed a U. When rested on its side, it's about 12 inches high. I placed this around my Blackberry with the open end to the front, and the buzz problem went away. There does not appear to be any interference with the operation of my Blackberry. It LOOKS funny sitting on my desk, but I can live with that. Next step is figure out how short I can cut it without the problem coming back, and then asking someone to bend a small piece of tin to the same dimensions.
If you find that a thin metal layer will block most of the RF interference, you could always coat the inside of the back cover of your BB with a thin layer of metal. You could remove the back cover(and battery cover, if applicable), and spray the insides with spray paint or laquer. While still wet, you could then sprinkle and shake metal filings onto the inside until fully coated, and after that dries, spray over the metal filings a few more times. This would put a solid metal barrier around the back of your BB, similar to the aluminum foil solution...
Old 02-14-2007, 06:15 AM   #39
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell
Smile

now how does that song go . . . "he wrapped his head in aluminum foil and rubbed his belly with linseed oil"

you should probably use olive oil . . . fewer transfats!
Old 03-06-2007, 10:23 PM   #40
herver

Model: 6710

The cause of that annoying voice when your phone received any signal is the poor designed of your computer audio speaker.Put some metal shield of your audio speaker amplifier,observed proper grounding to prevent rf interference enter on your audio devices.
Closed Thread