Closed Thread

Old 04-14-2009, 11:15 AM   #1
Natalie Wilkinson

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ?
Red face BES - Initializing Problem

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All, I wondered if you could help me! We have a blackberry enterprise server and have around 7 mobiles on there, 1 of my colleagues has just got a new phone but kept the sim card, The phone doesn't seem to want to talk to our server it is stuck in initializing, I have tried deleting the user and re-adding and re-setting the activation password and i have also called Vodafone to make sure that the BES software is on the handset? I have noticed that on all the mobiles it says enabled on the wireless message reconcillation but on his device it says diabled? Do you know what this means?

Can anyone help?

Apologies for the long message!
Old 04-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
TechAdmin26
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon
Default Possible Solution

You said that you had deleted his user account, but have you deleted his State Database on the BES Server? After deleting his State DB, you would then delete his account from BB Manager, and then add him back to BB Manager which will create a new State DB for him. Keep in mind this will delete all his wireless backups and configurations, so you will have to set him up from scratch as if a new user. I had to do this yesterday to clear up several activation issues during an upgrade.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:45 AM   #3
RadHaz75
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650
PIN: BALL
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

you didn't mention if you actually tried to enterprise activate the device after setting the activation password.

also does the user have junk mail filtering enabled or any rules that redirect messages away from the inbox? if he does disable all of that and try again. also make sure you are trying to activate with the email address the bes is showing.
Old 04-14-2009, 03:23 PM   #4
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechAdmin26 View Post
You said that you had deleted his user account, but have you deleted his State Database on the BES Server? After deleting his State DB, you would then delete his account from BB Manager, and then add him back to BB Manager which will create a new State DB for him. Keep in mind this will delete all his wireless backups and configurations, so you will have to set him up from scratch as if a new user. I had to do this yesterday to clear up several activation issues during an upgrade.
Why assume this is a Domino user?
Old 04-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #5
siemp
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: Vodafone

Hi Natalie Wilkinson ,

See the previous post. Its always good to mention which platform your on and what version of BES you are using.

Mvg, Siemp
Old 04-15-2009, 02:41 AM   #6
Natalie Wilkinson

I am using Blackberry Manager 4.1 Microsoft Exchange 2007?
Old 04-15-2009, 05:00 AM   #7
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

PIN: 3, it's the magic number
Carrier: Most of them, it's a Global Village man!

For sanity's sake, can you activate this user with this SIM on a different BB? If nothing changed perms-wise, you need to discover if the issue is with the phone or the SIM. Wouldn't be the first time a new phone is buggered and needs re-flashing (or just sending back as DOA, far easier).

Also, this makes the assumption that the user was working fine on his BB before the phone move.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #8
Natalie Wilkinson

yes it was all working fine before the phone move! I have spent a long time on the phone to Vodafone and apprantly the PIN had been disabled, which they have enabled and now it gets a bit further in the enterprise activation then i get the response back saying error occurred please contact your administrator. Do you know why we would get this message through activating?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:06 AM   #9
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Wilkinson View Post
yes it was all working fine before the phone move! I have spent a long time on the phone to Vodafone and apprantly the PIN had been disabled, which they have enabled and now it gets a bit further in the enterprise activation then i get the response back saying error occurred please contact your administrator. Do you know why we would get this message through activating?
Usually a retry of the EA or a wipe and re activation will fix that. I think it's the BES getting confused due to entries in the db it doesn't like or similar (not sure but never had to worry about it as it always works after a couple of attempts) but the retry (and wipe if that doesn't work) usually does it for me.

I just read that back and it reads very badly! Let me know if you want it re-done in English
Old 04-15-2009, 09:07 AM   #10
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

And I forgot to say - bloody Vodafone. That's probably the third issue I have seen today caused by them. They have really lost the plot with the Storms and Bolds, sending them out configured wrongly or just generally messing things up.
Old 04-15-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Natalie Wilkinson

Thanks Stu this is very helpful and well explained. I will try the re-set and see if it works i have my fingers crossed.

Vodafone are totally rubbish, this keeps happening we had a problem a couple of months ago and i said has the phone got the BES software on and they said yes it is fine all configured etc, it still wasn't working so i called them again and they said oh you have the wrong software you have BIS and not the BES server. Really annoying because they keep you on hold for an hour before you get through to someone aswell!

Thanks for your help, i will let you know if this solves the problem!
Old 04-15-2009, 10:41 AM   #12
stuwhite
Feeling Blue, Bigly ;->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie Wilkinson View Post
Thanks Stu this is very helpful and well explained. I will try the re-set and see if it works i have my fingers crossed.

Vodafone are totally rubbish, this keeps happening we had a problem a couple of months ago and i said has the phone got the BES software on and they said yes it is fine all configured etc, it still wasn't working so i called them again and they said oh you have the wrong software you have BIS and not the BES server. Really annoying because they keep you on hold for an hour before you get through to someone aswell!

Thanks for your help, i will let you know if this solves the problem!
No probs, anytime. To be fair to Voda I do rate them highly for data, it's just the customer service that can be sketchy. But also I never have to wait that long on the phone, have you got a business account? We have got tons of users so have a corporate account with a dedicated team and manager but even for small accounts I don't think you should be waiting that long. Find a rep/business manager and let them know you aren't using data due to waiting on the phone and they will sort you. They get very upset if they discover you aren't spending money on data as you should be .
Closed Thread