BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 09:54 AM   #1
horia.cucu

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Is BlackBerry's Java execution speed good enough for you?

Please Login to Remove!

Hello guys,

During the previous two weeks I've been benchmarking the Java implementations on several mobile devices including a BlackBerry 8800. The results show that even if BlackBerry has a Java-only operating system it doesn't perform too well on algorithmic tests.

I want to ask you a more philosophical question regarding the execution speed of Java on BlackBerry: "Were you ever constrained in the apps development process by the execution speed of the Java VM?" Or, to put it another way: "Are there any Java applications currently on hold because of the poor execution speed of Java?"

I'm currently working on a java acceleration project that aims to speed up Java execution on mobile devices by more than 30 times while lowering the power consumption of the processor. Our results and the prototype we developed are very promising (you can test it if you want), but the question remains: does anyone need this kind of speed-up?

I totally encourage you to post your thoughts and comments here. Your opinion as experienced java applications developers is probably the most valuable opinion to take in consideration when it comes to java execution speed while an important improvement of the java execution speed could come back to you as a great benefit in developing better applications.

Best Regards,
Horia
Old 08-04-2008, 11:36 AM   #2
CELITE
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

The speed for UI rich applications is slow on older devices, but acceptable on the Bold. Some algorithms perform badly and some are fast. With the bold processor and memory chipset it really isn't much of a problem anymore.

Keep in mind that RIM calls to native routines internally for many graphical computations, but 3rd party apps cannot.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:56 PM   #3
mhreljac
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

Actually, I would think that this would be of use to programs that were CPU intensive (graphics, calulations, etc.) on mobile devices since the CPU on them is slow to begin with.

For example, in Atomichelix PGP for BlackBerry it's very computationally intensive during keypair generation. An RSA-1024 takes about two minutes to complete, of which we've narrowed it down to the fact that BigInteger's method "modPow" is not written natively in the BB JVM, so it's slow. We have yet to get our hands on a Bold to test the new CPU, but just from stats it looks like it's about twice as fast, so even at one minute, it's pretty long. Is our application on hold because of it? No, because it's generally not done very often. Could it use a speed up? For sure.

Most software on the platform won't need the speed. The most likely candidates (I see) are games. As the screen resolution increases, so too does the need for a faster processor. At 320x240, you probably could get 30 FPS from the 8xxx series devices. If those processors were in a 1600x1280 screen, you'd be lucky to get 2 FPS. And since games need the framerate, they need the CPU to be as fast as possible (since there's no GPU in a mobile and the CPU handles everything).

M
Old 08-06-2008, 09:50 AM   #4
horia.cucu

Model: 8800

Hi guys,

Maybe I wasn't very clear in the first message... I'm working on a fast and low power solution for object oriented applications (java applications in the case of BlackBerry) so it doesn't primarily address graphical acceleration.

As for the applications... we also thought of games and other computationally intensive applications, but also highly object oriented applications (mobile software tends to become object-oriented only). Could you give me any other examples of applications (preferably free) that don't perform very well in terms of execution speed and responsiveness on the current Blackberries? (if there are any...)

And lastly, what do you think about Web 2.0? It seems to me that this trend is rapidly moving towards mobile world, while the current devices don't have the capabilities to smoothly execute applications written in Flash, JavaFX, Ajax, etc...

Regards,
Horia
Old 02-16-2009, 07:47 PM   #5
2000bin

Model: 8110
Carrier: att

Many games on the blackberry run slowly especially this java based gameboy emulator called Meboy. It can run at almost fullspeed on other phones but has horrible performance on blackberrys.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #6
nanika
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: None
Carrier: None

Metro is slow on the BlackBerry, at least one order of magnitude slower than on other platforms. This can get really annoying in some route calculations on large databases (such as NYC). And in my opinion, this is entirely due to the java overhead on a computation-intensive algorithm involving only simple operations.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
koic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000

Question to those who claim that certain games are much fuster on "other platforms",
Could you be a bit more specific: are these C++, J2ME, or, say, BREW, and so on "platforms"?
Old 04-15-2009, 04:50 AM   #8
Mordan

Model: Pearl
Default Java Performance

has anyone checked the jbenchmark.com site for more information? it is about J2me performance
Closed Thread