BlackBerry Forums Support Community

View Poll Results: Are you a "CrackBerry Addict"?
Yes! - And proud of it! 17 77.27%
Um...Yes. - I want help breaking the habit. 2 9.09%
No. I can stop using it any time. 3 13.64%
I'm not sure. How can I tell? 0 0%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #1
blackberrymadesimple
Platinum Sponsor

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT
Smile Looking for Crackberry - BlackBerry Addiction Stories for New Book

Please Login to Remove!

Hi All,

I am co-authoring a new book on the hot topic of "BlackBerry Addiction" and am looking for short stories from people who feel they might exhibit signs of being a "Crackberry Addict".

Stories can be anything from one sentence to a full paragraph telling of a behavior that you feel might show your BlackBerry Addiction (or the Addiction of a friend or co-worker).

I will send a free copy of the e-book to EVERYONE who responds to this request. (I'll have to get your email address using the "private message" feature.)

TOPIC LIST: (INCLUDE TOPIC # WITH YOUR RESPONSE)
------------------------------------------------------
1. Have you ever wanted to stop using your Blackberry and found that you just couldn’t?

2. Do you think about using your Blackberry constantly or how to stay in contact with work, clients?

3. Do you ever sneak away from groups to use your Blackberry without anyone knowing?

4. Do you lie when asked if you were just using your Blackberry?

5. Do you have to check your Blackberry before bed and immediately upon waking?

6. Do you use your Blackberry in the bathroom, at the gym while working out, or while in conversation with other people?

7. Has a family member, friend or coworker ever approached you with concern about your Blackberry use?

8. Do you use your Blackberry as a way to escape from dealing with emotions or relationships?

9. Do you use your Blackberry even when you know there are no emails or calls that have to be answered before the next work day?

10. Do you feel that you have to check your Blackberry at least every 30 minutes during the work day?

11. Do you feel that you have to check your Blackberry at least every hour outside work hours?

12. Have you ever put down your Blackberry swearing that you will not use it, and then find yourself picking it up again shortly afterward?

13. Do you have multiple backup batteries always on hand so that you can be sure that your Blackberry will never be without power?

14. Have you ever borrowed other people’s Blackberries if you don’t have your own with you, just so you could hold one?

15. Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed when you have taken a break from using your Blackberry?

16. Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with your Blackberry?

Thanks in advance! And remember a free copy of the e-Book for all contributors!

If you don't feel comfortable posting your story here, please email directly to me at [email address]

Thank you,
Martin Trautschold
BlackBerry Easy-to-Use FUN Books, eBooks, Videos & Training
Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #2
paulbblc
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: ip 3g
PIN: 8675309
Carrier: AT&T

My girlfriend and myself used to get into constant arguements about my BlackBerry. She often got frustrated when we would be watching a movie or talking or something along those lines.

This all changed the day we got her an 8700. Now we both share in the addiction!
Old 10-06-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
cgarrabr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: T-Mobile

13. Do you have multiple backup batteries always on hand so that you can be sure that your Blackberry will never be without power?

Not only do I have multiple backup batteries, but I have a backup BlackBerry.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:35 PM   #4
justin.culp
CrackBerry Addict

Model: SOLD
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbblc
My girlfriend and myself used to get into constant arguements about my BlackBerry. She often got frustrated when we would be watching a movie or talking or something along those lines.

This all changed the day we got her an 8700. Now we both share in the addiction!

PShhhh....I wish....my wife thinks BlackBerry's are 'nerd' devices (blasphemy!!) When her phone broke, I tried to put her sim into one of my old bb's....she was not having it.....I had to go buy her a new phone that day!!

I also have a backup BlackBerry...just in case.

Last edited by justin.culp; 10-06-2006 at 01:44 PM..
Old 10-06-2006, 01:51 PM   #5
cgarrabr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.culp
PShhhh....I wish....my wife thinks BlackBerry's are 'nerd' devices (blasphemy!!) When her phone broke, I tried to put her sim into one of my old bb's....she was not having it.....I had to go buy her a new phone that day!!

I also have a backup BlackBerry...just in case.
Yeah, I tried to give my wife a BlackBerry too, she wanted nothing to do with it, and it was free. My 15 week old son has it now, and loves it.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #6
Greg8700G
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700G

I have had my Blackberry for about 2 weeks and my girl hates the thing. I ]'m always on it and so on. So I told her she could use it for a day. Well, when it came down to me getting my phone back she wouldn't give it back so we had to go get her one as well!

WOW....Addicition! I LOVE MY BLACKBERRY 8700G!
Pin: 23D638E7
Old 10-06-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Ok, this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question, since you are writing a book on it and all. What is all this BlackBerry "addiction" crap? I have never heard anyone suggest that someone is "addicted" to a landline phone just because they don't unplug it from the wall when they aren't expecting a call. I have never heard anyone suggest that someone is "addicted" to their mailbox, even if they check it several times a day while waiting for a letter or package to show up. I have never heard anyone suggest that people are "addicted" to their cars, even though they take them everywhere, even when they could walk or take a bus or train to the same location.

This whole recent idea of "technology addiction" is a bogus concept dreamed up by Neo-Luddites who think that anything that constitutes a social change from how things were when they grew up, must in some way be bad. The BlackBerry, or any mobile communication device for that matter, is just another way to communicate with people, just like a phone, a computer, a fax, or a telegraph. There is nothing wrong, anti-social, or unhealthy, about wanting to stay in touch with other people, any more than it is to have a phone in your bedroom.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:58 PM   #8
bigjay8510
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Wirelessly posted (blackberry 8700c: BlackBerry8700/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

My name is Jansen and I have a problem. I am a college student and I have a school email account and 2 other email accounts that I use. I use to check my email nonstop on my or other peoples computers. I would even call my gf when she was at home and I was away to check my email. Then I told my self I need a phone to check email. Sure enough I went with a BlackBerry, yesterday I received 13 emails between 1 am and 10am which is when I woke up for class. I woke up for each email read them and replied. My BlackBerry is only turned off if I have to restart it.in class its on vibrate, and I still reply. I tell people email is the easiest way to get a hold of me, mainly because I can respond so quickly. That is my story about my addiction.
Old 10-06-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
cgarrabr
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlloyd
Ok, this seems like as good a place as any to ask this question, since you are writing a book on it and all. What is all this BlackBerry "addiction" crap? I have never heard anyone suggest that someone is "addicted" to a landline phone just because they don't unplug it from the wall when they aren't expecting a call. I have never heard anyone suggest that someone is "addicted" to their mailbox, even if they check it several times a day while waiting for a letter or package to show up. I have never heard anyone suggest that people are "addicted" to their cars, even though they take them everywhere, even when they could walk or take a bus or train to the same location.

This whole recent idea of "technology addiction" is a bogus concept dreamed up by Neo-Luddites who think that anything that constitutes a social change from how things were when they grew up, must in some way be bad. The BlackBerry, or any mobile communication device for that matter, is just another way to communicate with people, just like a phone, a computer, a fax, or a telegraph. There is nothing wrong, anti-social, or unhealthy, about wanting to stay in touch with other people, any more than it is to have a phone in your bedroom.
lmlloyd...This topic must have really struck a nerve. In some ways I agree with you. But maybe "addiction" is the wrong term to use. Maybe "passionate" would be a better word? You brought up the point about cars. True, no one has ever suggested being addicted to their cars, but there are a lot of people who are PASSONIATE about their cars, and spend ton of $$$ on them, even though they know if they go to sell it, it will not be worth what they put into it.
I believe this whole idea of "BlackBerry addiction" has come up because individuals who own BlackBerrys are usually more passionate then those individuals who own a Palm device, or a Windows mobile device. Years ago there were "TV addicts". Now just about everyone has a TV. Then the internet took off and there were "internet addicts". Now more and more homes are getting plugged into the internet.
I've owned a BlackBerry almost two years now. In those two years I have heard more and more about "the great BlackBerry addiction", (it was even on the Today show one morning) and I have too thought it was a bit ridiculous. But I have never heard anyone say that those BlackBerry addicts need to go seek help. It's as you said, it's a great way to communicate, stay in touch with friends, family, the office, and to stay in touch with the world around us. I think the word addiction is just something that got tagged to it years ago, and has stuck.

That's just my two cents...take it for what it's worth.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:31 PM   #10
lmlloyd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8700g

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarrabr
lmlloyd...This topic must have really struck a nerve.
It isn't so much that it struck a nerve, as it is that something that started out as a cute turn of phrase, is starting to be taken quite seriously. There are people and organizations starting to sue RIM, and other companies, over the 'fact' that their product is addictive. There are both Internet and BlackBerry addiction treatment programs starting to pop up, and there are even researchers publishing reports on the "harmful and socially destructive nature" of IM, Web browsing, text messaging, and BlackBerry use.

It is one of those things where an entire class of supposed mental health problem is being invented right before our eyes to describe what is 'wrong' with anyone keeping up with the times, and we don't even pay attention, because we think it is funny to talk about how "addicted" we are to our gadgets.

Last edited by lmlloyd; 10-06-2006 at 03:41 PM..
Old 10-06-2006, 05:11 PM   #11
war_eaglegrl28
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290

I think my addiction stems from being addicted to the Internet....My BB just helps me keep from going into withdrawals when I am out and about.....LOL
Old 10-06-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
siliconvalley785
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9900
PIN: 294AB6DD

6. Do you use your Blackberry in the bathroom, at the gym while working out, or while in conversation with other people?

Yes, I have been known to use the Blackberry in the bathroom when I'm bored. Hey, what else is there to do. You're just sitting there anyway, might as well be productive about it. People don't seem to have an issue reading in the bathroom, so how is using the Blackberry any different? If being productive while letting loose is wrong, then there's something very wrong in the world (or with me, take your pick)

Pritesh
Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 PM   #13
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

3 & 4:
Our lake club has an end of the season cookout that is adults only. We set up tables on the beach and out onto the main dock, light up the tiki torches, and serve up the BBQ and drinks. Emphasis on "drinks". I'm at the end table on the outermost portion of the main dock, and I'm sitting at the very end of the table. The night progresses wonderfully with good friends sharing a meal and some fun conversation. After participating in the discussions, jokes, and general banter I became a bit quiet, which my wife noticed, but she was having too good a time to really pay attention. Her and her girlfriends were laughing up a storm and putting the red wine away at a blistering pace so my sudden change in demeanor was a very minor concern to her. What she didn't know was that I was using Blackberry Messenger and carrying on 2 simultaneous conversations. I've got my BB down in my lap, just under the edge of the table, and I'm texting away like mad. There must have been a lull in the conversation at the table just as I received a joke from my Blackberry Buddy in L.A. (I'm in northern New Jersey). I let out a loud snort and started to laugh pretty hard,drawing the attention of everyone around me at the table. Suddenly my wife realized what I was doing and shot me a frigid look. I was on vacation from work, at the last party of the year at the lake, and I darn well ought to be paying attention to my friends. Rather than yell at me from 5 seats away, she whipped out her own cell phone and sent me a one word text message: "Stop!"

I made a fairly pathetic attempt to play it off, saying that since I'm on vacation all next week there are some technical details they needed from me at work and I'm merely straightening out these things so I don't have to go into work one day next week. Perhaps because she wanted to believe, perhaps because the wine was taking it's toll, but for whatever reason she bought my line that I was texting people at work, about work. And that it was important. Hah! I begged off my two BB Messenger conversations and re-joined the party, but I was fighting a nagging desire to find a quite spot away from the party and resume the texting. Truthfully, if my wife didn't look so hot that night and I wasn't afraid I'd miss my change to "get some" later I probably would have slipped away.
Closed Thread