BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 04:45 PM   #1
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys
Default Is anyone else not exactly enamored with the 8320??

Please Login to Remove!

Maybe I'm having buyers remorse? Its like a love/hate thing with me. I am coming from an 8800 (my first blackberry) and there are certain things about the 8320 I love, and others that are making me want to keep my 8800 and put this one on ebay...anyone else having this issue? This is my list so far:

the Pro's

its really small
the spell checker is great
the camera takes a pretty decent photo in a pinch
the media player is fab

the Con's

its really small
the trackball and keys make alot of noise even when muted
wifi browsing is just as slow as edge
no gps
Old 09-27-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

WiFi browsing on your device maybe slow, but most users are reporting super fast speeds. You might should have waited for the 8310, camera and gps, no WiFi.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
TeritaM
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Torch
Carrier: Island of Misfit Toys

that one is coming on at&t though right? I'm halfway thinking of sending this bad boy back and using my 8800 until something better comes along.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeritaM View Post
that one is coming on at&t though right? I'm halfway thinking of sending this bad boy back and using my 8800 until something better comes along.
I have yet to own a phone that I think fits the bill of everything I want. For myself I love the 8320. I came from the Pearl (8100) I really think you need to decide what is important to you and decide the route to take. No one here can tell you what phone will make you happy. My two cents.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
WiFi browsing on your device maybe slow, but most users are reporting super fast speeds. You might should have waited for the 8310, camera and gps, no WiFi.
My WiFi is very fast just like a lot of people have reported.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:18 PM   #6
Lex Luthor
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800
Carrier: xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;xxx9824;

My WiFi is very fast! I love my 8320!!
Old 09-27-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
keroppilee
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

8820 has wifi AND gps right? Also if the size and keys are a problem, switching to another curve wont solve that issue for you. Maybe you should go to the updated version of the black berry you already had?
Old 09-27-2007, 05:26 PM   #8
zGuy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: black
PIN: rusted safety pin
Carrier: FedEx

So far (5 days and counting) my 8320 ROCKS! It is the best Blackberry and best cell phone I have ever owned. Period.
(Side-note: Obviously there is no such thing as a perfect phone. You are always bound to find faults in any gizmo out there. But if you consider carefully the pros and cons, this phone is absolutely fantastic.)

Last edited by zGuy; 09-27-2007 at 05:31 PM..
Old 09-27-2007, 05:28 PM   #9
Nerd
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mobile

I'm completely happy with everything about the Curve. First time in a long time when I'm not even looking forward to the next big pda purchase (I usually am as soon as I get my hands on a new device). Feels like a nice watch, great screen, great color, runs solid (usual bb stability), everything is perfect imo. GPS would be nice, but it's not turning me off from the device on the whole.
Old 09-27-2007, 05:32 PM   #10
tdawg00

Model: 8900
PIN: 24aa7bfa
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Maybe I'm having buyers remorse? Its like a love/hate thing with me. I am coming from an 8800 (my first blackberry) and there are certain things about the 8320 I love, and others that are making me want to keep my 8800 and put this one on ebay...anyone else having this issue? This is my list so far:

the Pro's

its really small
the spell checker is great
the camera takes a pretty decent photo in a pinch
the media player is fab

the Con's

its really small
the trackball and keys make alot of noise even when muted
no gps
its really small . It is not that small, the keys on the 8800 are wide and flat and give the perception of a larger phone And how can this both be a pro and con
the trackball and keys make alot of noise even when muted The 8800 did this a BRAND NEW PHONE as well. Once you break it in you wont notice it
wifi browsing is just as slow as edge My WIFi connection is killing EDGE, especially looking up directions
no gps Thats not a con, since you knew the phone didnt have it in the first place. You cant go buy a Honda and list one its cons that it doesnt have a Hemi in it....
Old 09-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #11
dsconnell
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Iphon

LOVE mine...
Old 09-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
ajm
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320

Quote:
no gps
Is it possible that your browser is set to use EDGE and not Wi-Fi?

GPS is completely possible with this device if you pair with a Bluetooth GPS. I have a Holux GPSlim 236. It's very small, has a compatible mini-USB charging port, lasts 8 hours on a battery and can be easily had for $60. Yeah, it's not built into the phone, but it is a great solution and you can even use it with other devices (incl laptops) or let other BlackBerry users borrow it for trips.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:25 PM   #13
MajSingh

Model: 8900
PIN: 24b2b982

i LOVE mine. no regrets at all
Old 09-27-2007, 06:27 PM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Love it. And I have had almost every BB made.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:34 PM   #15
harveyjc_2001
Thumbs Must Hurt

I love it. I've had a Pearl and an 8800, and I like the 8320 the best. Small size with full QWERTY and camera are the selling points for me.

Having GPS on the 8800 was nice, but I bought a BT Puck, as this was the only thing missing from the 8320. Works like a charm.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:53 PM   #16
rjw3000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Charm

I love mine. Best BB out there right now.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:26 PM   #17
xploit
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320T
Carrier: T-Mobile-Titanium

8320!!! I love it!
Old 09-27-2007, 09:19 PM   #18
PCgirl

Model: iP 4S
Carrier: AT&T
Thumbs up Curve is a keeper so far...

Overall, I love it!

The photos are so much better than the Pearl's and I like the full keyboard and bigger screen. Sound is MUCH louder too. And the back cover fits perfectly although I might still get the Seidio one since it will have a rubberized back and speaker cutout even thought the sound is already pretty loud! And once I get a bluetooth capable headset, I will love listening to music via A2DP! AND NO MORE SURETYPE, YAY!!!

However, I did prefer the cute, smaller size of the Pearl (easier for me to hold and type -- I can't type with one hand anymore ) and I miss the colored trackball program. OH YEAH, the Curve doesn't have a hole for a wrist strap or lanyard, and I am big on those because I'm always afraid of dropping it!

One more thing -- I never had any dropped calls with the Pearl. Now I've noticed a lot of "call failed" and areas of no service with the X in the corner. Is this a wi-fi issue or a Curve issue?
Old 09-27-2007, 09:28 PM   #19
JRJ

Cool

I think I found my date for Prom! Just kidding, but I truly love the device. The issues presented by many people are simply "buyers remorse," especially if you feel you paid more than you should have, or wanted to.

My WiFi is lightning speed sometimes (way faster by far than BGR noted in its tests), and at other times slow depending on who is on my WiFi connection.

The keys do make noise. If anything, that would be my one drawback. They seem somewhat fragile too (like continued pressing and I may dent the device), but I assume they need to be "broken in" like on any new device.

The size of the 8320 startled me too. From seeing it in photos, I expected it not to be so fragile, but I was also surprised that it is small. I find that to be a plus. Others like the 8800 because it is sturdy and industrial, while still somewhat sleek.

Overall, can't complain (and that gold color is growing, growing on me like what!). In fact, I'm excited!
Old 09-27-2007, 10:46 PM   #20
PowerCell

Model: 8100
PIN: che Cabron
Carrier: T-

I had my 8320 for 1 day when I decided to return it. The Wifi sounds like a great idea, but I just had far too much trouble getting a consistant connection. Tier two support at T-Mo tells me that they're have issues with their cert server, but it seems more like a hardware issue to me.

I've stepped back into my Pearl, and I'm gonna give them a little more time to work all the bugs out. Maybe the Pearl-II will be out by then, because those itty-bitty keys on the Curve where a ***** to work... LOL.
Closed Thread