Closed Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 12:55 PM   #21
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

I understand the iPhone is going to be in very short supply. Being at the store when it opens on the 29th is not going to for sure get you a iPhone. I heard that only a few would be delivered to most stores and more would trickle in very slowly.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:21 PM   #22
A4Pike
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8700c
Carrier: AT&T (Cingular)

I am looking at this same question... iPhone (really cool and slick) or Curve (I know it will work, love my 8700)... Here is my one question. I want the iPhone mainly due to it's web browser, as I use that the most on my 8700, and hate when I get a huge page that isn't "cell phone friendly". I am really interested in the iPhone due to it's Safari browser, and the fact that it displays "real" web pages. Not having used a Curve, how is the browser on it? Is there any usability/functionality improvement over the 8700?

Thanks...
Old 06-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #23
Donbp
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoldenb View Post
did i hear correctly that Iphone has no "push email" with the exception of Yahoo mail?

If so, i dont know how business users are even considering it as a viable option.

Especially given the early reviews which call the keyboard unacceptable for long emails.

Please, someone, correct me if Im wrong.
Business users aren't considering it at all.
Old 06-19-2007, 01:59 PM   #24
i robot
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9000
Carrier: o2

Get the curve its fantastic
Old 06-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #25
Flashman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by A4Pike View Post
I am looking at this same question... iPhone (really cool and slick) or Curve (I know it will work, love my 8700)... Here is my one question. I want the iPhone mainly due to it's web browser, as I use that the most on my 8700, and hate when I get a huge page that isn't "cell phone friendly". I am really interested in the iPhone due to it's Safari browser, and the fact that it displays "real" web pages. Not having used a Curve, how is the browser on it? Is there any usability/functionality improvement over the 8700?

Thanks...
The new Opera Mini Dimension (Beta 4) shows a full web page similar to the iPhone, just have the reality of a slightly smaller screen on a Curve, but it does work pretty good! I think you can try it on your 8700 to experience it.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:25 PM   #26
wayneholbrook
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D214AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
The new Opera Mini Dimension (Beta 4) shows a full web page similar to the iPhone, just have the reality of a slightly smaller screen on a Curve, but it does work pretty good! I think you can try it on your 8700 to experience it.
How do you get that program? Can you download it direct from your BB? or do you download it to your pc and use app loader?
Old 06-19-2007, 06:15 PM   #27
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
I understand the iPhone is going to be in very short supply. Being at the store when it opens on the 29th is not going to for sure get you a iPhone. I heard that only a few would be delivered to most stores and more would trickle in very slowly.
I have heard contrary to this!! That there will be no shortage of phones availability. Only limit is that whatever is delivered for the launch will be all we have until the folowing tuesday but our orders are said to be substantial
Old 06-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #28
The Sage

Model: 8900
PIN: BIC
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for everyones feedback. I'm leaning more towards the Curve. While I love Apple products, I'm also a road warrior, business user. If syncing with Outlook is a question with iPhone, that's a problem. With the iPhone price point and losing or breaking cell phones on the road, that's a problem. The large glass screen on the iPhone worries me being a road warrior.
Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 PM   #29
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

From what I heard, corporate stores that are set up to get the iphone will receive 40 units to sell on the 29th. I'll be there that night to most likely buy one, I just luv when new stuff drops! But I will say it will never replace my BlackBerry for over all use! It will join my collection and be used as my Nokia N95 is, for either weekend or specific use! But definitely not a BB replacement!
Old 06-20-2007, 12:45 AM   #30
g0d0t

Model: 8300
PIN: S AND NEEDLES!
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayneholbrook View Post
How do you get that program? Can you download it direct from your BB? or do you download it to your pc and use app loader?
from your blackberry go to mini.opera.com/beta to dowload it ota
Old 06-20-2007, 07:43 AM   #31
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Still wanting a iPhone, read this:
Why You May Not Want An iPhone - Forbes.com

Does not sound productive to me, sound like an over priced sidekick. No corp email, no replacable battery and no keyboard, just a piece of glass. Not for me but I will likely try one anyway!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 06-20-2007 at 07:46 AM..
Old 06-20-2007, 08:25 AM   #32
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8320
PIN: ASK ME

That article is a bunch of maybe's and i dont knows. the only true review's that matters are the review's of users once the thing comes out and gets real world tested. How do you make up a 5 reasons not to get the iphone when the thing isnt even out.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 06-20-2007, 01:31 PM   #33
jojo6

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post
with an estimated 3 million units being manufactured, will not be as exclusive as I had hoped.

why would you want it to be exclusive? that just translates into impossible to get. i wanted a wii when they first came out, but it took so long to get one that i just forgot about it.
Old 06-20-2007, 01:34 PM   #34
A4Pike

Carrier: AT&T (Cingular)

I think that article has a good point though... if I am at home, on the couch, where I have a dedicated wi-fi network, why the heck would I use my iPhone??? My laptop is sitting right there!!! hahahaha.

In any case, I think that the iPhone is still a cool little phone, but I can't imagine using that keyboard to do serious texting/emailing. I know that when I hold my 8700, I have a thumb on the keyboard at all times while typing, just to steady the unit in my hands. Can't do that with a soft keypad, as I would just type a lot of one letter...

I don't know, I may get one, but I am about 80-20 in favor of the Curve...
Old 06-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #35
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Carrier: AT&T, VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Still wanting a iPhone, read this:
Why You May Not Want An iPhone - Forbes.com

Does not sound productive to me, sound like an over priced sidekick. No corp email, no replacable battery and no keyboard, just a piece of glass. Not for me but I will likely try one anyway!

Come on Greg, even though. You know It's not for you, Like me you'll venture down to at&t to see your contact and try one out. And just maybe you'll get caught in the heat of the moment and take the plunge! I probably will. But most likely I won't keep it, unless to my surprise there's no issues with the first generations (yea rite). Anyway should be interesting!
Old 06-20-2007, 03:13 PM   #36
Flashman
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Cingular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Come on Greg, even though. You know It's not for you, Like me you'll venture down to at&t to see your contact and try one out. And just maybe you'll get caught in the heat of the moment and take the plunge! I probably will. But most likely I won't keep it, unless to my surprise there's no issues with the first generations (yea rite). Anyway should be interesting!
It really isn't about the coolness. I think the iPhone is amazingly cool and would love to play with the interface. It just doesn't offer the functionality that I have come to consider ESSENTIAL to my mobile life:
  • Corporate Outlook Syncing
  • Instant Messengering (AOL & Yahoo minimum)
  • Physical keyboard supporting one-handed touch operation
  • Decent GPS Navigation Software (Google Maps directions doesn't count)

If an iPhone was to offer these capabilities, I'd be way more interested and likely to consider it. Otherwise, it is just a cute technology demonstrator for me.
Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #37
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashman View Post
The iPhone supports IMAP integration, which is the type of mailbox that Microsoft Exchange supports. That will allow email syncing (not push, iPhone has to manually check regularly, with such a great battery that is probably not a big deal), but it does not do anything for the Calendar, Contacts, or Notes.

When I say "Outlook integration" I mean synchronizing with the calendar, mailbox, contacts, and notes on a Microsoft Exchange server.

Apple - iPhone - Get Ready

According to them they will sync with outlook. Contacts and calendar as well as email.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Old 06-20-2007, 04:44 PM   #38
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I might get one if I can cash and carry out of tha Apple store wo contract. I have many Cingular SIMs here at work with data plans I can test with. No way I would sign up for a 2 year contract at an average of $100 a month. That makes the cost of ownership of the phone $3000 for 2 years. Right now I have a company provided curve and service and my job requires me to have it so I would have to carry around 2 devices :(

I have to say I love the latest gadgets and I saw 1 on the Muni the other day and it looks sweet.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:46 PM   #39
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
<vbg>

My friend at the dealer already has my name on one. She says to give her first opportunity when I sell it. She knows me all too well and that I would not keep it over a week or so!

Last edited by greggebhardt; 06-20-2007 at 04:50 PM..
Old 06-20-2007, 04:53 PM   #40
teamcrn
CrackBerry Addict

Yeah if i can get my hands on one with no contract i will slip a to go sim card in it an test drive it.

WWW.TheTDGrouponline.com
Closed Thread