BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 07:11 PM   #41
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Please Login to Remove!

I must admit that as much as I like the 8300, I'm actually having to adapt to qwerty again. Out of all my BB's I have really enjoyed the SureType 7130c and it became my first choice. The speed at which I can crank out emails is fast and easy, as a result I've grown rather dependent on it.

That said, I like everything about the 8300 and if I'm patient enough I will be using the 8300 for my main BB. The funny part is this is the best qwerty keyboard ever (for me). Even though I have large hands, I find no problem using this keyboard. It's really comfortable and the smaller keys don't bother me at all, as they are perfectly shaped and spaced. So it's just about getting used to having a qwerty keyboard instead of SureType. Even if mine "loosens up" and I have some movement or creaks in the body, I can live with that as the rest of the device is simply stellar. And so far it's rock solid.

Whoops, I probably just put a hoax on it..........
Old 06-09-2007, 09:04 PM   #42
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
Yeah, archer, tell him how many red Pearls you looked at ...

I don't see anything wrong with swapping units out til you get one that works. I mean, I've done it with other phones (my first cingy phone, the v551 got swapped twice after they replaced the battery a couple times when it wouldn't hold a charge) and other products. I am constantly exchanging shoes. I have big feet for a short girl (size 10 or 10 1/2 depending on the brand) and it's damn hard to find shoes that fit right.

I've used nine different cell phones this year and I used 18 different phones last year. I am on a search for the perfect phone. It's probably futile. Whatever.

So, welcome to the "OCD" club. LOL

But anyway, what I wanted to say is that I am amazed that you get any play on the parts of the phone. I swear, I have tried very hard to get movement. My 7130 creaked and when I got fidgety, I'd move the battery door up and down since it had loads of play. I don't know how these rubber sides could develop any play. I'm not doubting you, just, shocked that it's happening.

But, if, like me, you're in search of the perfect phone, then you've probably learned that you usually have to settle a little bit for an otherwise quality device.

Ya gotta luv it! I'm the same way, my phone collection is just as bad as my Sneaker Collection, I just luv new stuff! However the OCD is just part of the phone game. I know plenty of people that will not except any movement in there device of choice! My friend is a bigshot with Verizon, and cringes when I walk through the door! He still cant believe I have not exchanged the 8830 I picked up last night (solid so far in every area). Well getting back to the rubber sides of the Curve, no BS it's getting worse everytime I type or use it! And no i'm not squeezing or doing anything out of the ordinary. It's just comin loose, as is the bottom left hand side of the unit (creaks). Might either take a stop by at&t tomorrow morning, or wait for a couple of new shipments to come through (I'll call my at&t guy for his take). Either way the search is on for the perfect Curve, and believe me, I'll find it!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #43
quillhill
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Torch

Heh. I am so not surprised you're a shoe or phone collector. I have a ridiculous number of shoes.

I guess I did get lucky because my unit is solid. This is actually the first brand new BB I've owned. I ordered mine on the at&t site after choking up and using my upgrade that had been available since December. I'm patient.

I believe you'll find a good Curve. I recognize a determined person when I see one.
Old 06-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #44
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillhill View Post
Heh. I am so not surprised you're a shoe or phone collector. I have a ridiculous number of shoes.

I guess I did get lucky because my unit is solid. This is actually the first brand new BB I've owned. I ordered mine on the at&t site after choking up and using my upgrade that had been available since December. I'm patient.

I believe you'll find a good Curve. I recognize a determined person when I see one.

Yup, the search
Will start tomorrow for the my
Perfect Curve! Let ya know how I make out tomorrow at at&t!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:23 AM   #45
Jayden0606
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Options > Status
Carrier: AT&T Mobility - 8310/personal 8100/business

My first 1 and I will be returning because the backpiece does not match up with the piece that wraps around to the front with AT&T logo. I knew I should have checked in store... Box was sealed and I was lazy, store was closed by the time I got back, 2minutes late. I will exchange on my lunch break tomorrow.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:16 PM   #46
archer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden0606 View Post
I knew I should have checked in store... Box was sealed and I was lazy, store was closed by the time I got back, 2minutes late. I will exchange on my lunch break tomorrow.
I've made that mistake before, in my case I was in a hurry and between meetings on a work day. I knew I should have waited until I had more time but I thought "I'll just trust that I get a good one" well so much for that......

Anyway I took it back and the sales lady was really nice. She brought out 6, so I could choose the best one.

It's this kind of user experience that I've had that keeps me a loyal AT&T customer. Overall (they're not all perfect) most of the reps will do whatever it takes to keep the customer happy.

Good Luck & Cheers....
Old 06-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #47
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Archer, check this out!
I went to at&t this morning to do a Curve swap! He brought out 4 Curves (all they had)! All of them we're loose on the rubber sides, 2 had dust under the screen, not one was even close to being perfect. What a pain! So I'm going to wait for a shipment to come in tomorrow afternoon! My at&t guy luvs it, he gets a kick out of how nuts I am with my phones! The search is still on for the perfect Curve!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:08 PM   #48
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean76 View Post
Yup, the search
Will start tomorrow for the my
Perfect Curve! Let ya know how I make out tomorrow at at&t!
I just can't wait till you tell us how you made out!
Old 06-10-2007, 01:37 PM   #49
gadgetjunkies
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8820
PIN: Depends which BB I am using

I just ordered a Curve through the Premier site and am hoping that I get a good one. Exchanging one through the mail is a crap shoot and you usually get a refurb one anyways. They won't exchange them in the stores.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:05 PM   #50
sdetweil
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch

Mine thru Premier order is perfect. No problems at all (related to the phone.. the USER however needs some training!)..

Sam
Old 06-10-2007, 02:16 PM   #51
archer6

Quote:
Archer, check this out!
I went to at&t this morning to do a Curve swap! He brought out 4 Curves (all they had)! All of them we're loose on the rubber sides, 2 had dust under the screen, not one was even close to being perfect. What a pain!
Nice work!

The key and the hardest part of all this is to have the patience. I must have looked at 22 or more Red Pearls over a period of two months and never could find a good one. However I will say this as it has been my experience that the perseverance will pay off 98% of the time. I gave up on Red Pearls only because after checking out shipments in Southern CA, Northern Ca and Central CA. I simply had no luck.

In addition, I buy BB's for my company and in that case I tell my IT guy to wait until the new models have been out at least 3 months before purchasing and that has made a remarkable difference as it seems that once RIM satisfies initial demand and things level off, the build quality is not the issue it was in the beginning.

So you may want to find the best you can for now, use it for 25 days and then set out to try again for a good one.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:19 PM   #52
jameskirk

Model: 9500
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Ya gotta luv it! I'm the same way, my phone collection is just as bad as my Sneaker Collection, I just luv new stuff! However the OCD is just part of the phone game. I know plenty of people that will not except any movement in there device of choice! My friend is a bigshot with Verizon, and cringes when I walk through the door! He still cant believe I have not exchanged the 8830 I picked up last night (solid so far in every area). Well getting back to the rubber sides of the Curve, no BS it's getting worse everytime I type or use it! And no i'm not squeezing or doing anything out of the ordinary. It's just comin loose, as is the bottom left hand side of the unit (creaks). Might either take a stop by at&t tomorrow morning, or wait for a couple of new shipments to come through (I'll call my at&t guy for his take). Either way the search is on for the perfect Curve, and believe me, I'll find it!
sneaker collection huh? whatcha got? lol. anyway, my first curve (made in mexico) had the squeaky side. i just got my 2nd one (made in canada), the keypad seems loose? (it "puffs" out/up) ... or is it like that?

Last edited by jameskirk; 06-10-2007 at 02:28 PM..
Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 PM   #53
abgopm

Model: Bold
Carrier: The New AT&T

I had bought mine online and I was able to exchange it through a AT&T store with no problem. Mine was loose all over and resting itself when browsing the web. The new one is tight and so far no resets, but I get some static here and there. I guess I am to used to Verizon. I hear that static is common with GSM. But over all I love the phone and the customer support I got with AT&T was fantastic both on the phone and in the store.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:28 PM   #54
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
Nice work!

The key and the hardest part of all this is to have the patience. I must have looked at 22 or more Red Pearls over a period of two months and never could find a good one. However I will say this as it has been my experience that the perseverance will pay off 98% of the time. I gave up on Red Pearls only because after checking out shipments in Southern CA, Northern Ca and Central CA. I simply had no luck.

In addition, I buy BB's for my company and in that case I tell my IT guy to wait until the new models have been out at least 3 months before purchasing and that has made a remarkable difference as it seems that once RIM satisfies initial demand and things level off, the build quality is not the issue it was in the beginning.

So you may want to find the best you can for now, use it for 25 days and then set out to try again for a good one.

I knew you'd appreciate that story! I have the patience, I'll grab one tomorrow from there new shipment, use it for a while, and then if anything is not right I'll get one from a later shipment down the road! Hopefully I get a winner tomorrow!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:40 PM   #55
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskirk View Post
sneaker collection huh? whatcha got? lol. anyway, my first curve (made in mexico) had the squeaky side. i just got my 2nd one (made in canada), the keypad seems loose? (it "puffs" out/up) ... or is it like that?
Like Archer6 said, it may just be the way the units are made right now and build quality should definitly get better down the road once the demand dies down (makes sense)! I can't really say if it's a Mexico, Canada thing because I've had em both and surely enough the loose rubber sides we're there on both! However the Mexico made one was tight as a drum out of the box, just got creaky and loose over the course of a couple of days. Good one's are out there, some people have gotten one's that are perfect (crap shoot). We'll see tomorrow how my luck goes with my search for the perfect Curve! As for the kicks (I got alot) AF1's, Jordans, SB Dunks, you name it! I'm a Sneaker Head in the worst way!
Old 06-10-2007, 02:59 PM   #56
archer6

Quote:
I can't really say if it's a Mexico, Canada thing because I've had em both and surely enough the loose rubber sides we're there on both! However the Mexico made one was tight as a drum out of the box, just got creaky and loose over the course of a couple of days. Good one's are out there, some people have gotten one's that are perfect (crap shoot). We'll see tomorrow how my luck goes with my search for the perfect Curve!
What we must remember is that no matter what plant these come from, they are all built to the same specs, using the same materials, with the same tolerances.

My read on this is that it's nothing more that assembly quality as well as some situations that only appear once the device is in the hands of the users. Rim is very good about watching these forums and listening to user feedback. They in turn make adjustments as a "rolling change" during production itself. Therefore the initial units may be suffering from nothing more than a bit of sloppy hurried assembly, and other issues related to materials. All of which can and usually does get resolved as time and production continues on.

Cheers...

Last edited by archer6; 06-10-2007 at 03:00 PM..
Old 06-10-2007, 03:12 PM   #57
jameskirk

Model: 9500
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Like Archer6 said, it may just be the way the units are made right now and build quality should definitly get better down the road once the demand dies down (makes sense)! I can't really say if it's a Mexico, Canada thing because I've had em both and surely enough the loose rubber sides we're there on both! However the Mexico made one was tight as a drum out of the box, just got creaky and loose over the course of a couple of days. Good one's are out there, some people have gotten one's that are perfect (crap shoot). We'll see tomorrow how my luck goes with my search for the perfect Curve! As for the kicks (I got alot) AF1's, Jordans, SB Dunks, you name it! I'm a Sneaker Head in the worst way!
heh. just sb dunks, some other nike sbs, and a bunch of air max 95s and other stuff here. never really got into the whole af1s and jordans. heh.

anyway, with the curve keypad ... is it loose, as it it puff out/up? i don't know if i should exchange it (again)
Old 06-10-2007, 09:33 PM   #58
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameskirk View Post
heh. just sb dunks, some other nike sbs, and a bunch of air max 95s and other stuff here. never really got into the whole af1s and jordans. heh.

anyway, with the curve keypad ... is it loose, as it it puff out/up? i don't know if i should exchange it (again)

Archer hit the nail on the head, build quality will get better with production as time rolls on! In the case of your Curve, it's a catch 22, maybe you return it and get one that's even worse! If you can live with it for now, keep it and do an exchange before your 30 days are up. Just make sure you give yourself a day or two grace in the event that you get a lemon! When there's a will there's a way. Either way Good Luck and let us know how ya make out!
PS.. Once you jump into the AF1's game, you never get out! Talk about an addiction!!!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:46 PM   #59
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Guess I was blessed...because I ordered what the AT&T Business Services tele-rep told me was one of the first handful released on the official launch day...and it is solid as a rock. No looseness, creaks or hollowness at all...no gliches so far...everything is stable as can be. This is my first BlackBerry...and I was kind of afraid that I would be disappointed since I am pretty anal about stuff too. But, I can't remember being as satisfied overall with a phone...

I do remember trying out every Sony Ericsson w810i in my local store to find the one with the loudest earpiece volume one time though...so I guess I have OCD tendencies too...LOL

Good luck!!!
Old 06-11-2007, 12:48 PM   #60
audiofx

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A

im awaiting my 3rd curve from cingular as well
Closed Thread