greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Horton View Post
Interesting point Gregg. Can you comment on why you'd prefer to 8700 model? I'm looking at all the devices myself.

Also, separately, does anyone one of a good after market company that can modify the housing of a blackberry with a better quality casing? I'm looking for something metallic and strong. The plastic feel of the blackberry device really does detract from its appeal. Something resembling the earlier palm models or perhaps the iPod video casing. Ideally I'd want a vertu-inspired blackberry. That's the goal.

If not, any ideas how to manufacture one and whether there is an identifiable market for it? Given the steep price and abundant uses for a blackberry devices you would think that they could design something of significantly higher quality.
The 8700 was bigger and had a bigger QWERTY keyboard. The 8700 is STILL a good Blackberry, it just does not have all the Bells and Whistles the newer units offer. I also liked the track wheel but I know that the roller ball is the future and am getting used to it.

As far as someone making a better case, tooling costs v.s. demand would prohibit! I suggest you simply use your device and when it starts to show some wear, slip into a new one. I show reasonable care with my Blackberry but it is a phone and is a tool I need to run my company. I say use it with care but also enjoy!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:06 PM   #42
jdmass

Model: none
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

This is really a "to each his own" subject. I spent some time playing with the 8800 before going with the 8300. Coming from a Treo, I must say that I much preferred the 8300 form factor. It's shaped sort of like a thinner Treo and the keyboard is an improvement over the 700p IMHO. On the other hand, with the 8800, I was very concerned that I'd never get used to the keyboard.

After 4 days with the 8300, I'm very happy. I haven't seen any lag issues, call quality has been excellent, the camera is acceptable (certainly better than the Treo's), and email is working well.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:10 PM   #43
macallik
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: askMe

I got my curve on friday and am very happy with it. I was actually about to get the 8800 until I heard about the curve dropping. The 8800 is a great device also. No hating here.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:35 PM   #44
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Once again today...I have been warring over the decision as to whether keep my 8300 or exchange it for the 8800. I like the Curve, but there are several things that the 8800 brings to the table...aside from the GPS:

1. The screen on the 8800 is muchbrighter and more colorful. The 8300 screen looks pale and washed-out in side-by-side comparison. (Is this just me...or am I not adjusting my screen right on my 8300?)

2. The app icons on the 8800 are more clearly defined and more easily seen than those on the 8300.

3. I much prefer the weightiness of the 8800 to the lightness of the 8300.

I have heard much about the incoming call quality of the 8800 being horrible, and the earpiece volume being low. Is this the case? That is an absolute dealbreaker to me.

I will make a decision in the next couple of days. I appreciate the help...
Old 06-05-2007, 05:44 PM   #45
jaronbrass
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: 241BE401
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
Once again today...I have been warring over the decision as to whether keep my 8300 or exchange it for the 8800. I like the Curve, but there are several things that the 8800 brings to the table...aside from the GPS:

1. The screen on the 8800 is muchbrighter and more colorful. The 8300 screen looks pale and washed-out in side-by-side comparison. (Is this just me...or am I not adjusting my screen right on my 8300?)

2. The app icons on the 8800 are more clearly defined and more easily seen than those on the 8300.

3. I much prefer the weightiness of the 8800 to the lightness of the 8300.

I have heard much about the incoming call quality of the 8800 being horrible, and the earpiece volume being low. Is this the case? That is an absolute dealbreaker to me.

I will make a decision in the next couple of days. I appreciate the help...
I can comment on #1 and asked an engineering colleague at RIM to confirm for me. (I don't have any "inside knowledge" - I just manage a couple thousand 'Berries for Uncle Sam, and happen to deal with RIM enough that I'm on a first name basis with a bunch of folks there.)

Anyways... the part is different between the two models. The 8300 uses a newer, slimmer LCD and that is the reason there is a difference between the two.

I noticed it myself, and figured I'd ask. From what I was told, the 8700 and 8800 series share that same component and a number of common items on the PCB.

I will agree with you on the weightiness of the 8800. It does feel very solid, but the rails on the side are the killer for me. I can't stand the squeak. My engineering contact did say that it has been revised in recent production runs, but of course, the warehouses are already stocked. It's just pure luck if you get one of the newer ones.

The one I picked up from T-Mobile was manufactured 3 weeks ago, and still exhibited the squeak after only 12 hours of use.
Old 06-05-2007, 06:01 PM   #46
sean76
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T, VZW

All preference gentleman! I've used the Curve since Friday, and yes all those things about the 8800 with the screen brightness is true and what not! But the way the Curve fits in the hand is absolutely great, Form Factor rules in my book with this device!
Old 06-05-2007, 07:23 PM   #47
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

I actually called AT&T today and placed an order for an 8800...and it should be here tomorrow, or Thursday. I will have a chance to jog back and forth between the two...and make a quality decision.

Don't get me wrong...I really do like the 8300 Curve. In fact...it has made me a Blackberry convert, and that is saying loads. I like the form, the keypad, and the liquid silver color better than the 8800...but I dislike the featherweight feel, the washed-out screen, and the "smaller" everything about it. If I get the 8800, and after a few days get freaked out about the "creaky" side rails...and certain things (like earpiece volume/call-quality) are not on par with the 8300 (excellent in both areas)...the 8800 might be making it's way back to AT&T. Who knows?

I am kinda liking the built-in GPS of the 8800, since I could give a rip about a camera.

I sound flaky...but I really want whichever device I choose to be one I can use for a long time...so it has to be "right".
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 PM   #48
druu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000

have both an 8800 and an 8300 and the size, keyboard, 3.5m jack/a2dp do it for me very nicely since i have long commutes. the 8800 was great, imho the color combination made it look sleeker, although the grip on the curve is slowly growing on me. but once at the end of the day both devices get the job done.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #49
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
I actually called AT&T today and placed an order for an 8800...and it should be here tomorrow, or Thursday. I will have a chance to jog back and forth between the two...and make a quality decision.

Don't get me wrong...I really do like the 8300 Curve. In fact...it has made me a Blackberry convert, and that is saying loads. I like the form, the keypad, and the liquid silver color better than the 8800...but I dislike the featherweight feel, the washed-out screen, and the "smaller" everything about it. If I get the 8800, and after a few days get freaked out about the "creaky" side rails...and certain things (like earpiece volume/call-quality) are not on par with the 8300 (excellent in both areas)...the 8800 might be making it's way back to AT&T. Who knows?

I am kinda liking the built-in GPS of the 8800, since I could give a rip about a camera.

I sound flaky...but I really want whichever device I choose to be one I can use for a long time...so it has to be "right".
Well...got the 8800 today, and it didn't take me more than a few hours to know that it wasn't the phone for me...and it's packed up waiting for FedEx to pick it up tomorrow morning.

After using the Curve, and being able to manipulate it so easily one-handed...the 8800 feels wide and cumbersome. Side-by-side comparison with the screens was a suprise...very little difference if at all, with both screens set to 100% brightness.

The 8800 lived up to it's reputation as a "creaky" phone. Right out of the box, it felt loose and hollow compared to the Curve...although I still prefer the weight of the 8800 to the lightness of the 8300. But, the Curve is definately built more solid and sound.

So...guess I am sticking with the 8300. I felt a real satisfaction as I put my SIM and battery back into it..and powered it up. Guess I am a BlackBerry convert once and for all...and have found a device I really like for a change.

I'm stoked all over again!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 08:08 PM   #50
Spiffyis5150
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cingular

Glad to hear you're found what you're looking for! This is my 2nd BlackBerry. I joined the club at the beginning of the year when I purchased my Pearl. I think the Pearl is a really good phone especially for the form factor, but the 8300 has just made my Blackberry experience even better. Interestingly, the 8300 screen is really good for me. I like the size and much to my surprise, I can read it in full daylight with my polarized sunglasses on. That rocks! My Pearl's screen was pretty much unusable in full daylight. Coming from the Pearl, I was really happy that the Curve is pretty much the same in terms of being light to handle. Overall, I really love my Curve and it's sealed it for me being a Blackberry user for the forseeable future. Anyway, congrats on finding something you really like! I know the feeling.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:17 PM   #51
sslbun
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Default Got both 8800 and 8300 - prefer 8800

I initially got the 8800 and was pleased with it. Then picked up the 8300 as well a few days ago. Performance wise, I'm happy with both, but the screen is a lot better on the 8800. Seems like some bugs need to be ironed out with the 8300 but that just takes time. And I prefer the GPS over the camera - anyone with any discerning eye on photography wouldn't be using a phone's camera anyway.

Purely from an aesthetic point of view (being a design professional)l, I'd have to say the 8800 wins. The 8300 and its "liquid silver" casing is actually just gray plastic. I don't know where they came up with the marketing gimmick of "liquid sliver," but it's like saying my thinkpad is an "infinite depth monolithic black," when it's just black. I'm sorry to say the 8300 looks and feels a little like a toy. It's probably more similar to the look of the older blackberries but that also means it's a little dull. The 8800 looks like a glossy integrated unit and has a nicer weight to it. And again, the screen doesn't look washed out.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:27 AM   #52
rboy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

PIN: 24A231B9
Carrier: at&t
Smile had 8800 sticking with 8300

i love my curve; looks sweet with the black skin on it! no major problems so far.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:56 AM   #53
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry7130/4.1.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outfocus
.......like the title, suggests, my first impressions I wrote about last week are coming true to many.

I believe the 8800 criticisms were too harsh, the fact is that there is nothing wrong with the 8800, except for the squeeky sides, and the keyboard is no worse than the Curve.

So who's switching back?
I have both an 8800 & Curve. I do not believe in the game of "My BB is better than yours ".
1) All models are great devices.
2) Everyone has different preferences.
3) Only negative people focus on negative things & are critical of others choices.
Old 06-07-2007, 05:05 AM   #54
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Quote:
Well...got the 8800 today, and it didn't take me more than a few hours to know that it wasn't the phone for me...and it's packed up waiting for FedEx to pick it up tomorrow morning.

After using the Curve, and being able to manipulate it so easily one-handed...the 8800 feels wide and cumbersome. Side-by-side comparison with the screens was a suprise...very little difference if at all, with both screens set to 100% brightness.

The 8800 lived up to it's reputation as a "creaky" phone. Right out of the box, it felt loose and hollow compared to the Curve...although I still prefer the weight of the 8800 to the lightness of the 8300. But, the Curve is definately built more solid and sound.

So...guess I am sticking with the 8300. I felt a real satisfaction as I put my SIM and battery back into it..and powered it up. Guess I am a BlackBerry convert once and for all...and have found a device I really like for a change.

I'm stoked all over again!!!
Well now that you got that out of your system, I hope you can sit back, relax and enjoy your phone. I have owned every Blackberry my carrier offered (and many others they did not offer) and found each is different and has it's good and bad characteristics.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:16 AM   #55
maprx

Carrier: att
Default 8800 to 8300 How can I switch

How can I switch from the 8800 to 8300, I am in a contract? Is there a way to upgrade?, buy up, trade up????

Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 06:37 AM   #56
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
Well now that you got that out of your system, I hope you can sit back, relax and enjoy your phone. I have owned every Blackberry my carrier offered (and many others they did not offer) and found each is different and has it's good and bad characteristics.
I was suprised at how quickly I blew off the 8800. Up close and personal, the phone didn't look or feel as well put together, or detailed as the 8300...not to say it was "junk" or anything, just seemed like things like the way the case and the USB/charger and headphone input jacks didn't exactly line up...and the way the battery cover was kind of hollow and flexy...those kind of things on the 8800, turned me off.

And, the 8800 has got to be the biggest fingerprint magnet short of Motorolas KRZR...I'd be wiping it off all the time. Guess I'm just anal that way about my devices. I do it enough on the Curve...and that is the only thing that I dislike about a "candybar" phone form vs. the flip-phone since the screen is more protected.

The earpiece speaker volume (like you have said in another post) on the 8800 is not at all as loud and clear...even set at 100%...as the 8300 Curve. Sound quality too, on the 8800, was lacking...at least to me.

I will say that they keypad of the 8800 did not bother me at all. In fact, I found it more comfortable than the 8300 to me, and I did not find it slippery or cramped like so many others. I liked the font size of the type on the 8800 too, compared to the 8300. But...all that is personal preference, and not a generality.

It is clear why some prefer the 8800. And, if I had nothing else to compare it to...I would have gladly kept it. But, the 8300 is the better device for me...right now, even though it's not perfect.

Maybe BlackBerry will call me before they design their next device and get my opinions...because I know how valuable and important they are...

Yeah...right. LOL
Old 06-07-2007, 08:03 AM   #57
mmcpher
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Torch
PIN: 22CD4D6E
Carrier: ATT/Verizon
Default 8800/8300 Owner

I have both, but I didn't buy the 8300 out of disatisfaction with the 8800. I was planning to skip the 8300 until I saw one in the local AT&T store. It felt better in the hand and the keyboard is markedly better, because of the raised keys, and that tiny bit of space between makes a big difference and the click/feedback is more satisfying than the relatively mushy feel of the 8800 keyboard. And can you spell spellcheck? I never liked the 3rd party speller (I haven't figured out how to make the 8300 spellcheck all e-mails before sending yet). Calls are clearer, certain ringtones sharper and the display cleaner and brighter. I even have been enjoying the camera toy.

But I miss my GPS desperately! I was going to keep the 8800 alive just as a dedicated GPS receiver, but that seems too costly. I wish RIM wouldn't disable every other damn feature. I wish I could BT the GPS reciever in my 8800, though my 8300, and work around that way. But I guess I'll have to go out and get another GPS receiver.

I had heard rumors that the 8300 would have "real" BT, and not just the usual RIM runt version. So far, not good, but I'll do some searching here and see if I can wrest some utility from a hamstrung device.

I am growing increasingly tired of RIM's masterminding of its releases by refusing to put out something that actually uses its full capabilities. I would hate to work for a RIM-like company and develop great products only to have the suits contract away key elements. Directv does this too, in the way they pawn off crippled DVRs with their services. If ever I abandon RIM, it will because some other company will approach their customers by finding what they want and then trying to provide it, instead of trying to massage customers into an artificially "always leave them wanting more" posture. I hear the Blackberry 9900 will have 3G, real BT, Wi-Fi, GPS, but a deliberately lousy and non-functional keyboard, and a 20 minute battery life.

Last edited by mmcpher; 06-07-2007 at 12:33 PM..
Old 06-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #58
stac
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110

I'm a week into my 8300 ownership and not a thing to complain about coming from an 8800. Yes, not having the built-in GPS bothers me a bit, but the camera, 3.5mm audio jack, better keyboard and better form factor trump that criticism in spades.

The 8300 is just a solid blackberry in every respect.

'This one goes to eleven...'
Old 06-07-2007, 01:07 PM   #59
dave777

Carrier: Blackberry BOLD
Exclamation 8800 for function not fashion

hi all...
i think 8800 is good funtion...(with GPS) so about 8300 for fashion...but, i'm still comfortable with 8800 function..
Old 06-10-2007, 11:46 PM   #60
Allen4all

Carrier: Airtel

Hello there,

I have an 8800 which when booted up just shows a white screen and hourglass. it does not go anywhere from there. I have tried rebooting it but it just does not get to the main screen. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Allen
Closed Thread