Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
nab572

Model: 8110
PIN: 2466551A
Carrier: AT&T
Question Curve vs. Pearl

Please Login to Remove!

I'm currently a Pearl owner but considering the new Curve. Done all the research I can think of, so now I need opinions from users...

What's best about one over the other? Dealbreakers? Thoughts? Opinions?
Old 05-31-2007, 02:01 PM   #2
jorgeprieto
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8300
Carrier: TIGO

I think the main difference is the keyboard and the 2 meg cam...
I more a matter of choice I think...
I love my pearl... but I do want to have the curve as well..
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

I don't have a Pearl but comparing an 8800 vs. 8300, the Curve is smaller, lighter, 2MP camera, XM Radio Mobile, better(spaced) full keyboard and 3.5mm headset plug. The downside is no built-in GPS like the 8800 although Telenav Maps is included and you can tether a Bluetooth modem.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:11 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

nab572, there's several threads on here already with comparisons and size comparisons. Do some more research before you buy.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:13 PM   #5
tran_man

Carrier: Cingular/AT&T

I too am a current Pearl user and have done my research on the Curve. I used to have the Treo's and the 8700 prior to the Pearl.

I plan on switching back over to the full QWERTY keyboard! I can't stand having to check the spelling/words of my text messages and e-mails after I finish typing them. If I am going to make a mistake on one of my outgoing messages, I want it to be my fault that I typed it wrong, not because the software doesn't know which word to choose or doesn't know the word at all.

The Pearl is nice because of its size. I didn't want to carry the larger size smartphones anymore so I bought the Pearl thinking I wouldn't miss the QWERTY. I was wrong. Still a great phone except for the battery life.

That's the dealbreaker for me: the full QWERTY keyboard. I'm going to check my AT&T store today to see how much it really is going to cost to upgrade. If it's too much or sold out or not available, the Pearl will hold me over for now.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:34 PM   #6
Impaler80s
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8130
PIN: 31B54365
Carrier: Sprint

I'm kind of with tran_man on this one. I just ordered my Curve today. Love the Pearl--but just tired of fixing spelling errors due to SureType not knowing me all too well. I don't blame SureType--it's leagues ahead of T9, in my opinion, but it'll be nice, as much texting as I do, to have my full keyboard back. Don't care that the camera is 2.0MP...I don't use cell phones for cameras anyway...at least not for important pictures.

The Curve, to me, is the best of both worlds, and the best BB yet. Realize I have yet to hold in my grubby fingers, but can't wait.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:40 PM   #7
nab572

Model: 8110
PIN: 2466551A

Thanks for the input... I just ordered it by phone (the online thing was screwed up) from AT&T, HOPING it might arrive tomorrow. Figure I'll compare it side-by-side w/ my red Pearl for a few days before I make a decision & either return the Curve or put the Pearl on eBay.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #8
PabloTX
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

The Curve also has a built-in spell checker.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:13 PM   #9
Coach Lon
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Default Love my Pearl, but may want a Curve anyway

I've really loved having my Pearl, no problem with Suretype; I use the camera from time to time, and also have a 2G memory card for tunes when I have the time. I never owned another BB before the Pearl, so I don't have any history with a full key board, although I'm sure to like it. It's the size mostly that is important to me, and I'll have to wait until I have the time to give it a test drive. I'd say, it would be on my radar around the December holiday season, and then maybe the Wifi upgraded version would be available by then, along with the camera. Hopefully my upgrade credit would kick in about that time, with just about 1 year left on my contract. Bottom line is I think I'll consider making a switch, provided the overall size doesn't get in the way of my lifestyle.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
splitsick
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: at&t

I just traded my pearl (30 day trial period) for the curve. The only real advantage to the pearl is the small size. But our greatest strengths our also our greatest weaknesses!

Curve Pro's:

Full "well designed and spaced" keyboard
Huge bright clear display
Full screen mode for watching videos (so cool!)
XM radio
3.5 jack
Much smaller than 8800
Old 06-05-2007, 08:29 AM   #11
biggreg

Model: pearl
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Cingular
Cool BB Pearl Vs. Curve

I own both and use both for my business. I like the portability of the Pearl when I need to "pocket" the phone a lot. If I have a business meeting or need to type a lot, I use the Curve. My assistant switches off with me so she gets a taste of both as well. I know she prefers the Pearl, because she never emails - just uses the phone, and she says she likes the way it fits in her purse!

I only use the camera in an emergency. All the other stuff is about the same. I doubt if I'll use the XM.

Hope that helps!
Old 06-05-2007, 12:17 PM   #12
SUFan
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I have all three and I really did like the curve but really really like the Curve. The full keyboard is great and it actually feels lighter than a Pearl. Its a great device and comprimise of size and keyboard.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:03 PM   #13
richard371
CrackBerry Addict

Model: Bold
Carrier: ATT

I just hated the hourglass spinning on the curve. never happens on the 8800 or 8300. Thats was the deal killer for me.
Closed Thread