Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #1
mason1800

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: att
Default USB port loose? BB wont charge

Please Login to Remove!

Well 8 months with the 8300 and the USB port goes. ATT said the USB port is not covered by warranty. Is this true. What am I to do?? Cant charge the phone, so theres no way of using it. Is there any place or anyone i can contact about this situation? any help is appriciated.
Old 05-23-2008, 03:44 PM   #2
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
PIN: ups! ;)
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason1800 View Post
Well 8 months with the 8300 and the USB port goes. ATT said the USB port is not covered by warranty. Is this true. What am I to do?? Cant charge the phone, so theres no way of using it. Is there any place or anyone i can contact about this situation? any help is appriciated.
Well there are repair shops but you will have to pay. The other work around until you replace it is to by a cradle charger which I beleive will charge using the contacts (gold points on the outside of the BB) and not the USB.

E-

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-23-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Tangocore
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310
Carrier: Rogers

so what is this? some part of the phone is covered and others not? Sound pretty bullshit to me=/
Old 05-23-2008, 05:17 PM   #4
mason1800

thats what I said! I figured, if this isn't a manufaturing defect, I dont know what is. I sure didn't opened up the phone and loosen, desoder the usb. how is this NOT a manufacturing defect. ATT rep said i pulled the cable when disconnecting it. didn't know there was another way of disconnecting the USB cable. So anyone have an extra phone!! :o)

Last edited by mason1800; 05-23-2008 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: SPELLING
Old 05-23-2008, 05:33 PM   #5
Thatzmister2u
Retired BBF Moderator

PIN: ups! ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mason1800 View Post
thats what I said! I figured, if this issuen't a manufaturing defect, I dont know what is. I sure didn't opened up the phone and loosen, desoder the usb. how is this NOT a manufacturing defect. ATT rep said i pulled the cable when disconnecting it. didn't know there was another way of disconnecting the USB cable. So anyone have an extra phone!! :o)
See my post above. You should be able to pick up a cradle cheap. It will allow you to charge without the USB Cable....

www.horizonwirelessonline.com - Unlocks and Repairs
Old 05-24-2008, 08:33 AM   #6
MannyPR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

People complaint about Sprint customer service but when I had the same issue on my Pearl they just switched the device for a brand new one no charge.I think the warranty issue lies in the damage to the port, if the whole port is lose it should be covered under warranty, if the part that is lose is the center part of the port it would not because it means that there was damage done to the port when plugging it and unplugging it.
Old 05-24-2008, 08:53 AM   #7
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: Ball Wizard

They seem to be using cheaper USB ports now. The port in my 8700 looks to be made better than my 8100 or 8310. I had two problems with missing pins in the 8100. They repaired it the first time and did not the second time. After reading about so many problems with this, I can't believe there has not been a recall or a class action suit. The phone is only as good as the weakest link and the port is definitely a problem, and a simple one for RIM to fix in the future.

I rarely charge mine with the cable. I use my 8700 as a charger and switch batteries daily and use bluetooth to sync. I probably should get the cradle.
Old 05-24-2008, 09:44 AM   #8
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

For what its worth, I had a 8800 thru TMo that had the USB charging port pin snap off. As long as the device had no water damage, TMo took it back and sent me a new one as long as it was still covered by the warranty. Had it not been, it would have been out of pocket to fix or replacement. The cradle is a good option, but if you are like me constantly going and have a extended battery, well you get the point. I would do the cradle and start saving my friend!
Old 05-24-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
saje

I had a similar drama last night (made an account and everything to ask you all :D) but I did the battery pull thing and its now charging.

Pretty much what happend is that I tried charging my 8330 last night (it was at 30%) using the wall charger and it wouldnt charge - tried the other charger in the house still nothing - tried the pc/usb thing with Desktop manager - still nothing! I figured - maybe if I left it plugged in overnight it would start charging like magic... nope! Woke up this morning to my phone beeping at 0%.

So I took out the casing and unplugged the battery to check if there is anything I can see from that back panel and didnt see anything. Placed the battery back and it started charging! Yay me! (For those wondering why I didnt do that in the first place - didnt really know why battery has to be pulled and that case I have is hard to get off!)

So now I want to know what happened... and why that battery pulling thing worked - and please dont tell me that I have to pull my battery out everytime I need to charge it again.

Comments and tips are much appreciated. Thank you!

Last edited by saje; 05-24-2008 at 11:53 AM..
Old 05-25-2008, 12:53 AM   #10
Drewdatrip
Thumbs Must Hurt

The reason its not covered is its due to user error. And its physical damage. you either bent the pints or tweaked the port and severed a connection. sorry to be blunt and athe barer of bad news but this is the deal...
you can get a new usb + solder job for about a bill if you can find a place locally
Old 05-25-2008, 06:35 AM   #11
Pete6

Carrier: Swisscom

IMO this is poor design. The USB connector is soldered onto the main borad and is very weak. I have repaired two of these s far.

It is a shame because RIM have built a far better solution into all their phones. At the back of the phone there are two gold contacts. These are for battery charging. They also make a cradle that charges the phone through these contacts. I just bought this one OEM Blackberry CURVE 8300 8310 8320 Charging Pod Stand on eBay, also, Cell Phone PDA Accessories, Cell Phones PDAs (end time 04-May-08 20:31:32 BST).

It is a great shame that RIM do not include this accessory in teh box with all new phones as do many other makers of high end phones. It would not eliminate this problem but it would at least cut it in half. To eliminate the problem comlpletely RIM would need to put a further 3 contacts on the back of the phone to duplicate, not eliminate, the USB port.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
DaBlackberryBoy
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9850
PIN: URADUMAS
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete6 View Post
IMO this is poor design. The USB connector is soldered onto the main borad and is very weak. I have repaired two of these s far.

It is a shame because RIM have built a far better solution into all their phones. At the back of the phone there are two gold contacts. These are for battery charging. They also make a cradle that charges the phone through these contacts. I just bought this one OEM Blackberry CURVE 8300 8310 8320 Charging Pod Stand on eBay, also, Cell Phone PDA Accessories, Cell Phones PDAs (end time 04-May-08 20:31:32 BST).

It is a great shame that RIM do not include this accessory in teh box with all new phones as do many other makers of high end phones. It would not eliminate this problem but it would at least cut it in half. To eliminate the problem comlpletely RIM would need to put a further 3 contacts on the back of the phone to duplicate, not eliminate, the USB port.
I have my 8320 on order now, but do you think that if you had a seidio extended battery on the 8320 that the device would still charge on this Cradle? If so, I would live to buy once "just in case"
Old 05-25-2008, 09:30 AM   #13
Tangocore
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Rogers

Yes he can charge through cradle....but he's still losing all connectivity to his computer.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #14
pilot1
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
PIN: Ball Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewdatrip View Post
The reason its not covered is its due to user error. And its physical damage. you either bent the pints or tweaked the port and severed a connection. sorry to be blunt and athe barer of bad news but this is the deal...
you can get a new usb + solder job for about a bill if you can find a place locally
I have used mini USB ports on countless products from cameras, phones, card readers, etc., and have never had a failure on any of them. I have had two on the Blackberry Pearl 8100. It seems that this is a product defect if so many people are having the same issue.
Old 05-25-2008, 12:00 PM   #15
saje

Quote:
Originally Posted by saje View Post
I had a similar drama last night (made an account and everything to ask you all :D) but I did the battery pull thing and its now charging.

Pretty much what happend is that I tried charging my 8330 last night (it was at 30%) using the wall charger and it wouldnt charge - tried the other charger in the house still nothing - tried the pc/usb thing with Desktop manager - still nothing! I figured - maybe if I left it plugged in overnight it would start charging like magic... nope! Woke up this morning to my phone beeping at 0%.

So I took out the casing and unplugged the battery to check if there is anything I can see from that back panel and didnt see anything. Placed the battery back and it started charging! Yay me! (For those wondering why I didnt do that in the first place - didnt really know why battery has to be pulled and that case I have is hard to get off!)

So now I want to know what happened... and why that battery pulling thing worked - and please dont tell me that I have to pull my battery out everytime I need to charge it again.

Comments and tips are much appreciated. Thank you!
Should I have started a new thread to get my question answered? :(
Old 05-25-2008, 10:20 PM   #16
Think

Model: 9530
Carrier: Bell Sympatico

I had the same problem after only 8 days. My provider exchanged it immediatly. I would like the charging base but they don't work with the Otter Box case ( a must in the construction field). I decided to get a 2 year extended warranty which will cover this problem. Way too delicate of a connection.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:59 PM   #17
mason1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think View Post
I had the same problem after only 8 days. My provider exchanged it immediatly. I would like the charging base but they don't work with the Otter Box case ( a must in the construction field). I decided to get a 2 year extended warranty which will cover this problem. Way too delicate of a connection.
Wow. You got it insured? When I bought mine, about 9 months ago, ATT told me they dont insure them.
Old 05-26-2008, 06:10 PM   #18
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

AT&T will soon start insuring ALL devices (save the iPhone)... the deductible for previously un-insurable phones will be $125.

Technorati: Discussion about “AT&T preparing to offer insurance for all devices”
Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #19
DennisBB

Carrier: ATT
Default 8310 USB problem

Managing a large number of them, I have seen many with pins loose or missing in the USB port. Doesn't appeart to be user caused, but poor manufacture. Same port design has been used on many previous models without this problem.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:43 PM   #20
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by fonejunkie View Post
AT&T will soon start insuring ALL devices (save the iPhone)... the deductible for previously un-insurable phones will be $125.

Technorati: Discussion about “AT&T preparing to offer insurance for all devices”
I have my phone inured with Verizon $4.95 a month + $50 deductible. I have read many stories of USB problems for 8800 Series and 8300 Series, IMO this is a Manufacturer defect and RIM should own up to it. The USB port should be able to withstand reasonable use.
Closed Thread