AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goowakjai View Post
I'm gettin my 8300 unlocked, i've posted a different thread about this but if you know a good unlocking service let me know as well.
gsmphonesource.com - great unlocking service. They unlocked my phone.

Quote:
Ok I'm obviously a T-Mo user so thats why i'm here writing.
So when I get my 8300 I have to.....
DL now desktop manager and the 02 software.
Delete the Vendor file. Hook up the BB and let it go and update.
Hopefully everything will go ok.
Not necessarily - if the phone had service with Cingular working before, sometimes it already has the correct service book and you can just pop in your SIM and go. Problems usually occur for people who buy Curves new and TMo is the first line of service.

Quote:
Now my sim card is about 2 years old i don't kow if that qualifies for old.
My SIM card is about 2 years old - it works fine after I moved down to the O2 OS. The store you got your SIM from may have had even older stock than the one I got at the time you signed up - YMMV again.

Quote:
If i still don't get the browswer and email working after the software update I'm going to need a new updated sim right?
If you install the O2 OS as mentioned above, doing a complete erase of the Blackberry and re-load, push service books, host routing table, etc. and still no BB Browser, then your last option may be the SIM swap.

Quote:
Heres my questions, can I transfer all my numbers from sim to sim?
I don't recommend that. Sync it with your desktop Outlook and then back to your new Blackberry - SIM doesn't hold all of the contact details like Outlook does.

Quote:
finally, do i just go to to a tmobile store for a new sim? do they charge you for it?
Shouldn't be a charge, but don't bother them if you can fix it without a visit. You may have to argue a bit with them and when it doesn't help in-store, then they may want to switch back. SIM swap should be your last resort.

Quote:
Hey thanks for confirming the process and answer the questions for me in advance. I appreciate your help.
Good luck,
--Kidd
Old 08-21-2007, 01:33 PM   #82
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Ok guys i'm excited and scared at the same time. I just sold my Pearl which i love and am waiting for my ATT 8300 to come in the mail.

I've read through this forum. I'm somewhat BB savy i've upgraded OS for my pearl and my 8700 before.
I'm gettin my 8300 unlocked, i've posted a different thread about this but if you know a good unlocking service let me know as well.

If i still don't get the browswer and email working after the software update I'm going to need a new updated sim right?

Heres my questions, can I transfer all my numbers from sim to sim? finally, do i just go to to a tmobile store for a new sim? do they charge you for it?

Hey thanks for confirming the process and answer the questions for me in advance. I appreciate your help.
In my experience, the folks in T-Mobile corporate stores have been incredibly helpful. I've had SIM replacements (at no charge), and they can copy contacts from one SIM to another. If there's one near you, that's the easiest way, and you have a reasonable shot at getting the new one free if you ask nicely.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:10 PM   #83
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

With SIM contacts, IIRC you only get one email address and one phone number.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:19 PM   #84
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Quote:
Ok guys i'm excited and scared at the same time. I just sold my Pearl which i love and am waiting for my ATT 8300 to come in the mail.

I've read through this forum. I'm somewhat BB savy i've upgraded OS for my pearl and my 8700 before.

Heres my questions, can I transfer all my numbers from sim to sim? finally, do i just go to to a tmobile store for a new sim? do they charge you for it?

One thing to keep in mind. When I tried to update my OS to the O2 version the install simply wouldn't take. I deleted the Blackberry Desktop software and all the downloads of the O2 OS that were on the computer (IBM ThinkPad X31) via the Control Panel for Add/Remove Software. I removed every trace of software that even smelled like Blackberry. Then I started from scratch and downloaded the Desktop Software 4.2.2 (SP2) and installed it. Next came a fresh download of the O2 Curve software and I ran that installer. Finally, I deleted the Vendor.xml file and ran the Desktop Software Applications Loader, with a backup of all data from the Curve handheld. Boom. Worked like a charm, finally. I got the option to downgrade to a lower software version, something missing from all other attempts. So remember that you might have to spend an extra 1/2 hour or so and go back to the beginning if you get hung up.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #85
tashumbre

Carrier: tmo

Quote:

If you follow step by step of loading the O2 OS and you still don't see the browsers, then try getting a new Sim at the T-mobile store. They can copy your contacts from sim to sim and they didn't charge me. Just simply tell them your sim is acting up and you want to replace it. Give them limit details and they will do it, hopefully for free. However, if there is a charge it will be around $20. Like you, my sim was about 2yrs old and replacement of the sim got me my browsers. Good luck.

While loading the O2 OS, I had to click on the application loader for the process to start. It didn't start automatically.
Old 08-21-2007, 08:55 PM   #86
Goowakjai
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9700
Carrier: T-Mo

Hey guys just wanted to say thanks a lot. I know when I get my 8300 in all your advice will be extremely helpfull.

I got another question tho.

When T-Mo releases their 8320 with their software, will we be able to upgrade and install that one with no problems?

It should be available for download on the T-mo site right?

8700 --> 8120 -->8320 -->iPhone 2G --> 8320 --> iPhone 3G -->8900 -->9700
Old 08-21-2007, 09:44 PM   #87
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Hey guys just wanted to say thanks a lot. I know when I get my 8300 in all your advice will be extremely helpfull.

I got another question tho.

When T-Mo releases their 8320 with their software, will we be able to upgrade and install that one with no problems?

It should be available for download on the T-mo site right?
Actually very unlikely that the 8320 firmware will run properly in the 8300, so I wouldn't count on that.

Some of theorized that the lack of support for the 8300 on TMo has had to do with the fact that TMo wasn't selling 83xx's yet, and that once the 8300 is out, TMo may actually start support the 8300's more than they will today, even though their device will be the 8320. But this is all speculation now. Conceivably, there may only be a slight difference between the versions of the OS that properly work with TMo and get service books for the 8300 and those that don't. Hopefully that difference may be worked out once TMo is actually in the 83xx business - but this is all quite fuzzy right now, and purely speculation.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:49 PM   #88
AlexKidd
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Carrier: ▪T▪▪▪Mobile▪

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Actually very unlikely that the 8320 firmware will run properly in the 8300, so I wouldn't count on that.

Some of theorized that the lack of support for the 8300 on TMo has had to do with the fact that TMo wasn't selling 83xx's yet, and that once the 8300 is out, TMo may actually start support the 8300's more than they will today, even though their device will be the 8320. But this is all speculation now. Conceivably, there may only be a slight difference between the versions of the OS that properly work with TMo and get service books for the 8300 and those that don't. Hopefully that difference may be worked out once TMo is actually in the 83xx business - but this is all quite fuzzy right now, and purely speculation.
I concur with Vinmont. 8320 Firmware/OS will almost certainly not work on the 8300, and BB/RIM support said that service book type issues should go away once T-Mobile begins selling 8320s, but who knows if the latest AT&T OS will allow it so I can get the latest media player? Only time will tell.

If support continues to suck for the 8300 on T-Mobile, then I will probably sell this 8300 to some AT&T customer that would love to upgrade and then get the T-Mobile 8320.

--Kidd
Old 08-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #89
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexKidd View Post
I concur with Vinmont. 8320 Firmware/OS will almost certainly not work on the 8300, and BB/RIM support said that service book type issues should go away once T-Mobile begins selling 8320s, but who knows if the latest AT&T OS will allow it so I can get the latest media player? Only time will tell.

If support continues to suck for the 8300 on T-Mobile, then I will probably sell this 8300 to some AT&T customer that would love to upgrade and then get the T-Mobile 8320.
Kidd - you took the words out of my mouth... or off of my fingertips... if I don't see signs of the ability to upgrade the OS and get proper TMo support, I'll probably sell my 8300 and opt for the 8320 as well...
Old 08-22-2007, 10:24 AM   #90
wako
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8800
Carrier: Tmobile USA

Quote:

before you install the O2 software just try sticking in your SIM card and see if things start working. It seems to have worked for me and one other person in here. After I stuck in my SIM card, I registered the device, then I resent my books, then I changed the APN from the cingular wap.cingular to wap.voicestream.com and everything started working just fine. So try that out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
If you're on a BES you should have 2 browsers included in the one icon. To check go to Browser >Options >Browser Configuration. At the top it will say "Browser: Blackberry Browser." Click on "Blackberry Browser." What options do you have? I'm guessing you have "Blackberry Browser" and "TZones." With the proper service books there should also be "Browser" which is the carrier's browser, in this case, TMo's. This is the sought after, missing browser.
Just wondering, Im on BIS, but I have these options... "Internet Browser," MEdia Net, t-zones. No BlackBerry Browser... does that mean I dont have the sought after browser?
Old 08-22-2007, 07:43 PM   #91
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

"Internet Browser" is the Blackberry Browser everyone is talking about. TZones is pretty useless as it's really just a collection of links to paid T-Mobile services like downloadable ringtones, wallpapers, etc. As for MidiaNet, what's that? Maybe something held over from AT&T?
Old 08-22-2007, 09:19 PM   #92
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

I'm not an AT&T user but I *think* MediaNet is similar to Tzones on TMo. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #93
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I'm not an AT&T user but I *think* MediaNet is similar to Tzones on TMo. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.
Same general idea - T-Zones is essentially a site where T-Mobile provides minimal content, but several opportunities to pay for ringtones, games and backgrounds - and little else. With the service you should, as I recall, be able to handle basic email as well (i.e., with a non-BB device).
Old 08-22-2007, 11:58 PM   #94
Markosat

Carrier: T Mobile
Default T mobile with 8300

I dont have that problem
Mine is working fine
its an unlocked one
but my problem is that I can't find the way to download the BROWSER
Any idea????
Markosat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown View Post
Hey all!

Bought my first Curve and unlocked it so I can use it with T-Mobile. The thing is I called tmo reps and they said that Curve wont work with tmo as far as data (emails, internet, messengers etc...) but when I first turned it on, internet worked for like 15 min then stopped. Then started working again next day.

Email wont work at all. I tried resending the service books or reregistering and nothing helped.

So basically what Im asking is, is there some way of encoding the Curve or doing something to its OS so it can fully function with TMO?

Any help, much appreciated!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:01 AM   #95
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markosat View Post
I dont have that problem
Mine is working fine
its an unlocked one
but my problem is that I can't find the way to download the BROWSER
Any idea????
Markosat
Welcome to the forums,
My friend, you need to read this thread. It is discussed in this very thread many times. You'll need to make sure your OS version is 4.2.2.67. Anything higher and you will NOT get a browser on your unlocked Curve on TMo.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:19 AM   #96
RoadRashTX

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
I wonder if it's really the fact that it's a *new* SIM --- or that it's simply a different SIM, and this somehow triggered proper sending of the service books.

Hard to know without more similar experiences to compare.

But...if this works for people when other solutions don't, that's great.

I would also like to know which OS version(s) this works with, and specifically, whether it makes it possible to get T-Mobile browsers with more recent versions than the O2 edition.

FYI: I was running into the same problem where everything was working except that I did not get the browser or t-zones icon. I went to T-mobile yesterday and got a new SIM and as soon as I put it in, I got the missing icons. Very strange.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:01 AM   #97
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRashTX View Post
FYI: I was running into the same problem where everything was working except that I did not get the browser or t-zones icon. I went to T-mobile yesterday and got a new SIM and as soon as I put it in, I got the missing icons. Very strange.

It's conceivable that the programming on the SIM card is different in the latest being handed out, vs SIM's that are a few years old. Could be in the network lists, frequencies supported (did the old T-Mobile SIMs support quad-band?), authentication algorithms, etc. Last time, however, that I read about T-Mobile changing SIMs significantly was in 2002. But that doesn't mean that there weren't other changes in the last few years.

Anyone know more about this?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #98
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRashTX View Post
Please state what OS version you are using. Look in Options >About.
Closed Thread