Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 04:37 PM   #1
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Model: None
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Default Unbrand 8300?

Please Login to Remove!

I'm new to BB so pardon my ignorance...but, is there any way to unbrand the 8300 Curve and remove all the AT&T corporate stuff?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

well you could be the guinea pig and find out... there was a little sugar trick people used to get the logo off the housing. Search here for sugar and you will find it.

There is no way to remove the flash logo at boot-up.

That car avatar looks really familiar!
Old 05-31-2007, 05:06 PM   #3
archer6
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by davistld01 View Post
I'm new to BB so pardon my ignorance...but, is there any way to unbrand the 8300 Curve and remove all the AT&T corporate stuff?
Please DO NOT use the sugar method. It's too abrasive, messy, hard to do, crude and rarely produces a scratch free result. Instead try this method below.

Here is what I've used very successfully on each and every one of my BB's. I'm very, very picky and I can say that this produces a perfect result. It does not leave any residue, scratches or any sign that there was a logo in place.

Go to any auto parts store and buy:

1) A can of Dupont Polishing Compound.
2) A can of Dupont Rubbing Compound.
3) 1/4" masking tape, unless you have some.
4) A small package of Micro Fiber detail cloths.

You must use Dupont brand compounds. I learned that the hard way.

Now you are ready to remove the logo. It's important to remember that the key to success is to go slowly, using lots of patience.

It only takes me about 20 - 30 minutes to remove a logo, once I did the first one and got some experience.

Step 1) Tape off an area around the logo leaving a space of about 1/4" between the logo and the masking tape.
It only needs to be a square or rectangle with four sides. You do not have to do anything elaborate. It's just a buffer zone.

2) Put a very small amount (the size of a pencil eraser or less) of rubbing compound on the micro fiber cloth. Using just one finger, very lightly rub it (using circular motion) over the logo, using next to no pressure. This will give you an indication of how easy or hard it will be to remove it. Gradually increase the pressure until you see some of the logo beginning to go away.
Usually I've found that a medium amount of pressure will remove the first 75% of the thickness of the logo.

The key is you want to loosen and remove the surface of the logo but not all the way down to the plastic housing. It's the top surface of the logo that is the area to focus on. Once you break through that, it will go faster until you've reached the point where you only have about 25% left.

3) Once you have "most" of the logo removed, but can still see what remains, then you use the polishing compound to finish off the rest. When there is no more logo remaining your done. And it's polished the area to match the rest of the housing.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:19 PM   #4
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Ummm...maybe I didn't explain myself. I am not looking to remove the logo off the housing so much as remove the AT&T "banding" on the ROM. Is there any way to lose all the AT&T-specific apps on the phone...?

Thanks, though archer6...I will use that method to physically remove the AT&T logo from my new phone when it comes...

Last edited by davistld01; 05-31-2007 at 05:23 PM..
Old 05-31-2007, 05:31 PM   #5
BryanHarig

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Just hide them.

highlight the app icon. hit menu, select hide.

You can remove 3rd party apps from options -- security options -- app permisions.

You can remove any extra service books for options you dont want from options -- advanced options -- service books

One of those should do the trick.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanHarig View Post
Just hide them.

highlight the app icon. hit menu, select hide.

You can remove 3rd party apps from options -- security options -- app permisions.

You can remove any extra service books for options you dont want from options -- advanced options -- service books

One of those should do the trick.
Awesome. Thanks! I had heard from some of my friends that the Blackberry was ultra-customizeable...and much moreso than my Treo and other past devices.

That'll work...
Old 06-01-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
changogrande

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
Here is what I've used very successfully on each and every one of my BB's. I'm very, very picky and I can say that this produces a perfect result. It does not leave any residue, scratches or any sign that there was a logo in place.
Archer, thanks once again for an in-depth description of what to do to solve a problem, address an issue, or just plain get something done. I just got the 8300 an hour ago, and it is my first BB, so I don't want to mess it up. Since I am a T-Mo customer, I do want to remove the branding, but I have one question:

Will your method work on the silver case as well as it does on the black ones? My only worry is that sometimes black cases are actually molded in the black color, while silver ones are painted (or some other secondary method) in order to get them to that color--and will your method take off the paint?

Thanks in advance for what I'm sure will be an accurate answer!
Old 12-02-2007, 01:58 PM   #8
Mindflux
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Ummm...maybe I didn't explain myself. I am not looking to remove the logo off the housing so much as remove the AT&T "banding" on the ROM. Is there any way to lose all the AT&T-specific apps on the phone...?

Thanks, though archer6...I will use that method to physically remove the AT&T logo from my new phone when it comes...
Wouldn't unlocking all of the themes or re-doing the OS with the vendor you intend to use, not do just precisely this? For instance reloading your Pearl with the Tmobile OS rather than the AT&T OS?
Old 12-02-2007, 02:00 PM   #9
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

You can not remove the startup splash screen under any circumstances.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:44 PM   #10
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Awesome. Thanks! I had heard from some of my friends that the Blackberry was ultra-customizeable...and much moreso than my Treo and other past devices.

That'll work...
You will find your friends are not correct and that a Blackberry is actually less customizeable when it comes to some things. Getting into the ROM is impossible without destrying your device.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:11 PM   #11
archer6

Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggebhardt View Post
You will find your friends are not correct and that a Blackberry is actually less customizeable when it comes to some things. Getting into the ROM is impossible without destrying your device.
I could not agree more, stay away from the rom and other root level mods, this is not a Moto V3 RAZR which is a hackers favorite. The Legendary BlackBerry Reliability is worth more than any modifications like those being discussed.
Old 12-02-2007, 03:51 PM   #12
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

A BB is a secure device, much more so than anything else out there. Why do you think governments, banks and corporations use it in such numbers.

You mess with the ROM, you have a paperweight.
Old 12-02-2007, 04:27 PM   #13
davistld01
CrackBerry Addict

When I posted those things...I was actually referring the customization that is possible with adding apps, and customizing the homescreen to my personal preferences via hiding icons and the like...not hacking the ROM or doing anything like that.

Thanks Mindflux for the comments, and bringing a comatose thread back to life, LOL...but I'm not techno-savvy enough to do any of that stuff even if I could...or could without bricking my device.

I was happy with my 8300 back in 5/07...and I'm happy with my 8310 now!!

Last edited by davistld01; 12-02-2007 at 04:28 PM..
Old 06-04-2008, 04:27 AM   #14
faux panda
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: t-mobile

I remember there was a way to get rid of all the PTT stuff off of a ATT 8300...I did it once but forgot how to.

Like when I did it, It removed all the ATT junk completely and then I also had a ton of themes.

Anyone know how to do this?
Old 06-04-2008, 06:28 AM   #15
jnw190

Model: 8300
Carrier: Cincinnati Bell

You might want to look at this great guide by John Clark on optimzing your blackberry and freeing up memory... http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ee-memory.html
Old 06-04-2008, 06:37 AM   #16
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

And there is still no way to remove the startup AT&T flash screen from the device.
Old 02-21-2009, 02:23 PM   #17
Emil308

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer6 View Post
Please DO NOT use the sugar method. It's too abrasive, messy, hard to do, crude and rarely produces a scratch free result. Instead try this method below.

Go to any auto parts store and buy:

1) A can of Dupont Polishing Compound.
2) A can of Dupont Rubbing Compound.
3) 1/4" masking tape, unless you have some.
4) A small package of Micro Fiber detail cloths.

You must use Dupont brand compounds. I learned that the hard way.

Now you are ready to remove the logo. It's important to remember that the key to success is to go slowly, using lots of patience.

It only takes me about 20 - 30 minutes to remove a logo, once I did the first one and got some experience.

Step 1) Tape off an area around the logo leaving a space of about 1/4" between the logo and the masking tape.
It only needs to be a square or rectangle with four sides. You do not have to do anything elaborate. It's just a buffer zone.

2) Put a very small amount (the size of a pencil eraser or less) of rubbing compound on the micro fiber cloth. Using just one finger, very lightly rub it (using circular motion) over the logo, using next to no pressure. This will give you an indication of how easy or hard it will be to remove it. Gradually increase the pressure until you see some of the logo beginning to go away.
Usually I've found that a medium amount of pressure will remove the first 75% of the thickness of the logo.

The key is you want to loosen and remove the surface of the logo but not all the way down to the plastic housing. It's the top surface of the logo that is the area to focus on. Once you break through that, it will go faster until you've reached the point where you only have about 25% left.

3) Once you have "most" of the logo removed, but can still see what remains, then you use the polishing compound to finish off the rest. When there is no more logo remaining your done. And it's polished the area to match the rest of the housing.
Appreciate your hustle here people, but why not just save the headache and and simply buy that bottom piece, unbranded, that can be found pretty much anywhere online?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:29 PM   #18
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

There was no reason to bump an 8 month old thread. Closed.
Closed Thread