Old 11-01-2007, 10:47 PM   #121
Nomis
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownhead View Post
Hey bro - I believe this is a new feature in 4.2 - I read about this somewhere. I kind of find it annoying too but don't know of an option to enable or disable it. Sorry
I agree. Really my only complaint at this point though.
Old 11-02-2007, 03:40 AM   #122
MegaMan X
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Wifi Curve
Carrier: T-Mobile™ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jastclark View Post
this does give more options and vodafone today will work for now hopefully someone can come up with a better one...
for some reason, the vodafone today screen is the ONLY today screen that works.

The BB Dimension Today can't be activated on the 4.2 OS for some reason

neither can Rogers Bphone Today Screen, which works on other 8700 model blackberries!

I actually switched back to 4.1 because I NEED the today screen!!
Old 11-02-2007, 05:01 AM   #123
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMan X View Post

neither can Rogers Bphone Today Screen, which works on other 8700 model blackberries!

which is really strange when I ran the bootleg 4.2 i could load all those themes up
Old 11-02-2007, 07:16 AM   #124
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaMan X View Post

So why not use the Vondafone today screen with 4.2? If it works, which it does on mine as well. The only thing not to like about it is that you cant change the main background pic of it.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:18 AM   #125
lraed74
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S2

To mention this again, anyone else having the missed call indicator that wont go away? I've pulled the battery, changed themes, rubbed it 3 times for luck and still wont go away :(
Old 11-02-2007, 07:42 AM   #126
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
Carrier: Verizon Wireless
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74 View Post
So why not use the Vondafone today screen with 4.2? If it works, which it does on mine as well. The only thing not to like about it is that you cant change the main background pic of it.
In my experience over the last couple of days, the Vodafone Today theme appears to negatively affect overall phone performance (i.e., "slower than molasses in January"). For example, displaying thumbnails within the Media app takes forever. I reverted to the default Verizon theme for the time being.

Last edited by visortgw; 11-02-2007 at 09:51 AM..
Old 11-02-2007, 10:14 AM   #127
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Some more enhancements in OS v4.2.1.106 that I have stumbled upon (don't believe that these have been mentioned previously):
  1. Bluetooth DUN now supported (slower than USB due to Bluetooth limitations);
  2. Bluetooth transfer (send/receive) of media files (e.g., ringtones, pictures, etc.) now supported;
  3. confirm delivery, confirm read, and send read receipts now supported for BIS accounts (configurable per BIS account);
  4. e-mail and SMS messages can optionally be configured to separate inboxes (options of Separate, Theme Controlled, or Combined); and
  5. calendar/task notifications now consistently work correctly in a BES environment (previously with OS v4.1, I would periodically only receive sound/vibration with no event info on the display -- "fix" would be to delete all events from the device, and re-sync, but it was only temporary).

I am sure that there are many more!

Last edited by visortgw; 11-02-2007 at 10:24 AM..
Old 11-02-2007, 12:01 PM   #128
pr4424
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Just an FYI, you can transfer phonebooks to car kits (some). Mine did work. Thanks for your help and advice.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:27 PM   #129
rcz22

Model: 8703e
Default SMS seperate

Under "Messages," I clicked the option for "Separate" rather than Theme Controlled. This is with the Verizon 8703e using the Verizon theme. When I save the "separate" option, it just removes my SMS messages. I don't know where they go. I want it so "Messages" shows my SMS and Inbox shows my work email. Is this possible without using ZEN?

Also is the battery icon at the top right only supposed to show 3 bars when full? It looks like there should be a 4th bar.

Thanks in advance....

Quote:
Originally Posted by visortgw View Post
Some more enhancements in OS v4.2.1.106 that I have stumbled upon (don't believe that these have been mentioned previously):
  1. Bluetooth DUN now supported (slower than USB due to Bluetooth limitations);
  2. Bluetooth transfer (send/receive) of media files (e.g., ringtones, pictures, etc.) now supported;
  3. confirm delivery, confirm read, and send read receipts now supported for BIS accounts (configurable per BIS account);
  4. e-mail and SMS messages can optionally be configured to separate inboxes (options of Separate, Theme Controlled, or Combined); and
  5. calendar/task notifications now consistently work correctly in a BES environment (previously with OS v4.1, I would periodically only receive sound/vibration with no event info on the display -- "fix" would be to delete all events from the device, and re-sync, but it was only temporary).

I am sure that there are many more!
Old 11-02-2007, 12:42 PM   #130
visortgw
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post
Under "Messages," I clicked the option for "Separate" rather than Theme Controlled. This is with the Verizon 8703e using the Verizon theme. When I save the "separate" option, it just removes my SMS messages. I don't know where they go. I want it so "Messages" shows my SMS and Inbox shows my work email. Is this possible without using ZEN?

Also is the battery icon at the top right only supposed to show 3 bars when full? It looks like there should be a 4th bar.

Thanks in advance....
  1. If you are using the default Verizon theme, there will be an additional icon -- "SMS" -- in the applications folder (why they put it there???).
  2. It appears that there is an issue with the default Verizon theme where the battery icon on the home screen is incorrect -- at 100%, 3 of 4 bars; at 85%, 2 of 4 bars; etc. The device Status (from the Options page) shows the correct battery level as a percentage. I was on the phone with VZW and RIM last night, and they opened a trouble ticket on this.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:05 PM   #131
dearyou

Model: 8703E
Carrier: MTS
Default Mts?

Hey, Im on MTS in Canada....is this strictly for Verizon users? Can I upload this OS onto my 8703e CDMA phone?
Old 11-02-2007, 01:36 PM   #132
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 8860: BlackBerry8320/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I think the answer to that is in the first post.
Old 11-02-2007, 02:23 PM   #133
dearyou

Model: 8703E
Carrier: MTS

Thanks John.... I dont know why I missed that...

But now....I downloaded and installed the new Desktop Software....and Im trying to download the new OS from "above link" and I need to put in a Verizon Phone number....
I know it says any it will work on Any Carrier.... but then where else can I find the 4.2 OS?

Forgive me for the ignorant questions....
and thanks for the help
Old 11-02-2007, 02:30 PM   #134
bdeardorff
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130

Quote:
Originally Posted by dearyou View Post
But now....I downloaded and installed the new Desktop Software....and Im trying to download the new OS from "above link" and I need to put in a Verizon Phone number....
Here is the direct link. No phone number required.

http://download.vzwshop.com/vzw/blac...A4.2.1.106.exe
Old 11-03-2007, 09:25 AM   #135
xyotek

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Alltel
Thumbs up My thoughts on 4.2

I really like the upgrade so far. The browser seems faster and I like the media manager as its easier to load pics onto my device. The pic caller id is pretty sweet. If you can get accustomed to the new theme then you shouldn't have any problems. I lost the browser after restoring my info but after registering it came back over night. Also you can attach pics to email messages which I seemed to have a problem with before. Also I was unable to make 3 way calls even though I'm subscribed with that feature, but after the upgrade it works now which is a huge plus for me. Also I use a nokia bluetooth earpiece and so far people I talk to say it sounds better. Volume seems more consistent and louder on calls thru the speakerphone I haven't yet tested the Bluetooth Dialing for EVDO tethering but after I configure and test I will let you know my results. The voice note feature on BB messenger works as promised. The operation of the phone seems a tad slower especially switching between apps (alt cancel). Also it was kind of cumbersome on the desktop manager when adding caller id to contacts, and the roxio media manager is a little slow but has nice options for quick editing (red eye removal, cropping, etc.). It took forever to open as some of the pics I was grabbing was through the network. It crashed and I ended task and then when reopening it went to the last folder I was on which was over the network and it took a bit. I had to choose a local folder (my pics) then close and reopen for the setting to retain itself. Anyway, I'm off to bluetooth tether I'll let you know my results.

Last edited by xyotek; 11-03-2007 at 09:27 AM..
Old 11-03-2007, 02:23 PM   #136
MegaMan X
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
PIN: Wifi Curve
Carrier: T-Mobile™ USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by lraed74 View Post
well...because its ugly compared to the BB Dimension Today Screen, or the Bphone Today Theme.

That Vodafone theme is so ugly, and those icons are so ugly, it makes my eye bleed. No one likes ugly colors, icons, or vodafone background

Where can I get the bootleg 4.2 OS?
Old 11-03-2007, 09:28 PM   #137
BBVina

Model: 8700
Carrier: Vodafone

http://download.vzwshop.com/vzw/blac...A4.2.1.106.exe
Old 11-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #138
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBVina View Post
Thanks! Replaced the link in the first post with that one.

Welcome to the forums!
Old 11-04-2007, 10:02 AM   #139
Doughdaddy

Model: 9530
PIN: thumb or push?
Carrier: VZW
Default Today themes on 4.2 for 8703e

I too want the Dimension Today theme. I used it constantly to see emails and calendar without opening the apps.

I looked around and found that the new version of com_plazmic_theme_reader is now called com_plazmic_themereader (found in Options -> Advanced -> Applications -> Modules) version 4.2.1.106.

My thinking is that the old today themes call the old version name, which does not work on this OS version. I tried making a new today theme in Plazmic but it still will not allow it to load in the theme screen. If anyone knows how to edit them to call the new module I think they may work.

Thoughts anyone?!
Old 11-04-2007, 01:25 PM   #140
sec2cxg

Model: 9630

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetachi View Post
does anyone know if you need to re-activate on the BES server after an OS upgrade?

Thanks
Yes, you will have re-run Enterprise Activation.
Closed Thread